“Lovely stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pestana Porto Santo All Inclusive & Spa Beach Resort

You added Pestana Porto Santo All Inclusive & Spa Beach Resort to your Saves list
Pestana Porto Santo All Inclusive & Spa Beach Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Estrada Regional 120 | Sitio do Campo de Baixo, Porto Santo Island 9400-015, Portugal   |
Yeovil
“Lovely stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

It is three weeks since we were at Hotel Pestana Porto Santo and on reflection we can honestly say that the week spent there was the best holiday we have had.
There are plenty of positives about the resort and its setting on that long golden beach. The staff are great and ever willing to help. Our room, a first floor room with balcony that overlooked the pool area was spacious and very comfortable- the fact that the room was cleaned every day was a huge plus to us. We liked the fact that the safe and air conditioning were included in the cost of the holiday.
We had read reviews of the resort after we booked in early September and read some negative points which came from people who had visited the resort in high season. The resort was not so populated when we stayed so sun beds were freely available by the pool and we never had to queue to use the main restaurant .
The food at the main restaurant (Mares) is fine though when a place is catering for a large number of people it may seem formulaic but there is enough choice to satisfy everyone. We ate at the a la carte on one night - well worth the surcharge for relaxed dining and well presented food; however, the menu is a little limited. Luigi's, the pizzeria, is a great alternative to the Mares and we ate there twice during our stay.
Walks along the beach are a must either to the main town in one direction (about 1.5km) or to what we called the sleeping dragon, an islet off the end of the beach in the other direction. There are plenty of cafes in the main town for refreshment stops and people watching.
The only trip available at the time we visited was the Jeep tour of the island- 32 euros per person for a three hour trip but it was a highlight of the stay.
One downer for us was the fact that, in the Dunas pool bar, steak sandwiches were only available on two days- they are great, really tasty.
We are in the habit of not revisiting places we have been to but Hotel Pestana has made us change our minds on that- we will definitely be back. Next time we will take walking shoes to further investigate Porto Santo which is a fascinating island.
To Joao Martins and his team, a big obrigado for a great stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Martins J, General Manager at Pestana Porto Santo All Inclusive & Spa Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear "geoff p",

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Pestana Porto Santo Beach Resort & Spa. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Manchester, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

They say it's impossible to please everyone. But the Pestana takes on that very aim with courage, conviction and panache. The setting is glorious, the resort efficiently managed and all the facilities everything you would want, whether with children or not. The entertainments at evening are very vibrant and upbeat. Even people who "don't do all inclusive" won't find any tackiness or aesthetic discomfort in this place. Except there's an Elvis impersonator. This is usually a bad sign but not in this case as fair do's, the guy can sing. The food was an extraordinarily fabulous selection of freshly and expertly prepared meals, plenty to choose from and three different restaurants on site. However by far the most amazing aspect of this holiday was the collection of gregarious and hard working people whom this hotel is fortunate to have as staff. Without exception they all gave impeccable service. This is from someone with very exacting ideas about what constitutes 'great', and they are truly great. They think of everything that will make your holiday special and memorable. In particular the waiters and the entertainments staff gave a very good impression. I say the entertainments staff because as well as being generally good company, they somehow persuaded me to enter a dance competition in which I came second, losing out to an adorable six year old girl. I must thank them again for that when I go back. There is even a graphic design shop where a particularly original designer called Goncales will design and create really cool yet affordable bespoke souvenirs. The 9km golden sandy beach (with reputedly healing sand high in minerals) right on your doorstep also means you will want to return again and again. Who wouldn't want to go back to the nearest thing to affordable paradise there is? Right down to the well tended lavender garden, it's the absolute best place to stay for a beach holiday.

Room Tip: If you walk to the nearest town it's not far and better walking by beach as it's quicker. Th...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Martins J, General Manager at Pestana Porto Santo All Inclusive & Spa Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comments regarding your visit at Pestana Porto Santo.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and we hope to have the opportunity in the near future to welcome you again.

I would like to take this opportunity to invite you to join our loyalty program Pestana Priority Guest which is available at our website

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This small island off Madeira is perfect for those who really want to get away and relax. The Pestana Hotel is exceptional, they cannot do enough for you. Everything is well organised, the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful and it's really good to see that the management team are so proactive. The facilities are brilliant, the food great and the beaches are amazing. Some really lovely walks to be done. Warning: If you're a shopaholic - don't go! A truly relaxing time despite the unsettled weather.

Room Tip: Being a middle aged couple whose Daughter is now able to be left at home, we really enjoyed our room...
Dear "Helene B",

Thank you very much for visiting Pestana Porto Santo Beach Resort & Spa and for posting your review on TripAdvisor, is very important for us and for future travellers.

Chorley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Its taken a while for me to get round to writing a review but I was determined to write one. I can only agree wholeheartedly with the majority of people who review this hotel. There are a few comments I particularly want to make.
Every member of staff we came across was friendly, helpful and took the time to chat. The fact that management came to wave us off on the last day was amazing! I asked the fantastic Mario if this was because we were the last guests of the season but he told me that this is what happens whenever the guests leave! The rooms were first class and as I lay my head on those devine pillows the first night, I managed to drop off for a full 8 hours as was the case every night. Facilities were excellent, however I do agree that a 'quiet bar' is needed for those who want to have a conversation with the many friends they are likely to meet and have a drink in peace. Also the entertainment although they gave it their best shot, was not my cup of tea. My husband and I took a trip into the 'city' most nights but soon returned as it was very, very quiet!!
Food (and staff) were excellent and I again agree that breakfast and lunch were my favourites. The choice of fish by the way, was amazing!
I would have loved the indoor pool to be heated as it takes me so long to go from big toe dip to full body immersion!! The sea however is warm and inviting.
The jeep trip was fantastic and although we are not usually ones to go on trips I took the advice of many previous reviewers and went. Very, very interesting learning about this amazing and unique island. From the amazing views to the original house and stories of the women and children hiding in the wells, it was 3 hours and money well spent!
We were unlucky with the weather on the last week, however the memory of that last sunday when it rained all day, where we sat chatting to lovely people we had met, was so special! When was the last time you sat for a few hours over lunch and coffee just talking and laughing? Very relaxing I can tell you! And that sums up this holiday! Relaxing, de-stressing, completely chilled out.
If you were there on the last week I want to say hi and thank you for making our first holiday to Porto Santo a memorable one. To the management and staff, thank you very much for your care and attention. One request though. Where can I get one of those fabulous pillows?!!

Room Tip: Block 3 facing pool.
Dear "Lynda S",

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

We would like to take this opportunity to invite you to join our loyalty program Pestana Priority Guest which is available at our website.

About our pillows please send me your e-mail and i will answer you with the contacts of our supplier.

Looking forward to welcome you in Porto Santo in a near future,

Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

P*E*S*T*A*N*A
O ur 'second' home
R elax, unwind in peaceful surroundings
T ake a walk along golden sands
O r swim in one of the landscaped pools

S uperb staff and managers, so helpful, and friendly
A trio of restaurants serving great food
N ightly, colourful entertainment and bar
T he comfortable rooms are nicely decorated
O ur favourite holiday destination

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Martins J, General Manager at Pestana Porto Santo All Inclusive & Spa Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Mrs Keeping,

We were very surprised with the creative way you commented your experience, thank you very much.

Thank you for visiting us again and for being part of our "Family"

We will be waiting for you in May.

South Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Having returned from our one week stay on 29 October I've been giving some thought as to what could be written that hasn't already been covered by the other reviews. We haven't done all inclusive holidays for a number of years, preferring to 'do our own thing' but it's a pleasure to say that you'd be hard pressed to get better staff service than that provided by all at the Pestana Porto Santo.

Like others, we were lucky enough to be given a free upgrade to a one-bedroom apartment which, being on the top floor in block 4 ensured a peaceful stay. This was cleaned every day to a high standard. An earlier reviewer complained that the bed was hard and pillows too soft which wasn't good for a bad back. I have to disagree with this as I too suffer with back problems and slept very well for the entire week - if I could have purchased one of those beautiful pillows to fit in my suitcase I surely would have done so and happily have left all my clothes behind!!

Our guide on the jeep tour was Nuno who was so very entertaining and most informative - the trip was worth every penny and we can highly recommend it. I understand that the 'old' jeep (mentioned in an earlier review) in which we rode is to be replaced with a new one in time for next season. Nuno - if you read this, we hope your proposed boat venture is successful as you deserve to succeed - I'm sure you'll recall the 'travel book' lady! ;-)

We walked into town on a couple of occasions and paid a visit to the Christopher Columbus museum (2 euros admission, 1 euro if 65 years or over). It's also well worth having a peek inside the church. Less than an hours walk in the opposite direction brings you to a bar/restaurant where you can sit and appreciate the fabulous view.

I won't bore you with reports on the entertainment, restaurants, beach and bars (and Mario - what a man!) as this has already been covered extensively. Everyones holiday experience is unique to them and their personal expectations - one size does not always fit all. We were lucky to have a very enjoyable week (even with the rain) and met some great people.

For the first time ever I was compelled on returning home to email the hotel to thank them for a lovely stay . Given the high standard of customer care shown by the Pestana I should not have been surprised to receive a reply. Thank you for taking the time out to do that, Carlos - even further proof that you're prepared to go the 'extra mile' for your clients. Well done to you and your exceptional staff.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for visiting Pestana Porto Santo and for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

Your comments are important for us and future travellers.

We will share your comments with the Team and for sure they will be encouraged by your remarks.

Looking forward to welcome you again next year.

Sliema, Malta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I have just spent a week here, the last week of the season in fact before the hotel closes down for winter. We were a party of seven with one child.

The + points:

Very good food. I have lived in Portugal for several years and was happy to see lots of good quality, traditional cooking in the buffet. The food was generally well prepared, fresh and very flavourful and there was always lots of choice. Only those with a very conservative palate would have difficulty finding something to eat. The house wine was drinkable although we were disappointed that green wine (vinho verde) was not offered as part of the all-inclusive system. The Dunas bar was handy for drinks, good coffee (much better espresso than in the buffet restaurant) and for occasional nibbles with drinks. The cocktails we tried from the list were not great although we tried rum + passion fruit juice and licor nacional + lime + sugar (Caipinacional, otherwise known as Caipirão!) which were very good. The Madeiran beer was also good although I personally prefer the continental beers (Super Bock). Overall though the all-inclusive system was extremely good quality and excellent value for money.

The grounds, pools and beach are all very beautiful. We did a jeep tour one day which is recommended. It is good to escape the hotel and to see the rest of the island even if just for one day- the guides were very knowledgeable and kind however one jeep (the older one) was quite uncomfortable and difficult to see out of for the people seated in the back because of the height of the seats and the size of the windows!

The staff in the hotel work very hard and are extremely patient and professional on the whole. The entertainment was patchy unfortunately. The dancers were very talented (albeit with occasionally slightly tacky choreography and their differing skill levels) however the musicians (duo) were not up to the same standard unfortunately. I agree with previous reviews that the Dunas bar should remain open in the evenings for those who would prefer not to watch the shows.

The rooms were generally clean, nicely furnished and pleasant. The gym and indoor facilities were spacious and very nice to use for a change from the outdoor pool/beach.

The - points:

We had hit and miss weather. Nobody's fault but this is really a resort to be enjoyed in sunny weather. Late October is therefore probably not the best time to visit although we were told that it was unusually wet during our stay so maybe we just had bad luck. Either way it is probably a good thing the resort closes after October.

The pools were not heated and one was advertised as being heated. This would have been nice as the water was very cold.

It would be nice to have free wi-fi in a 5* hotel.

It would also be good to have extractor fans and/or windows in the bathrooms.

Overall, with a bit of tweaking this could be a truly 5* resort. In any case, even with the above negative points we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would recommend the resort and the island.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Martins J, General Manager at Pestana Porto Santo All Inclusive & Spa Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for visiting the Pestana Porto Santo Beach Resort & Spa and for taking the time to post your review, which was highly appreciated. Your comments and recommendations are very important to us and to all fellow travellers.

It´s through guest feedback such as yours, that we are able to confirm our strong points, as well as identify any area that may require improvement.
Therefore your participation has been extremely important and gratifying to us.

It was real pleasure having you as our Guest and to being of service, and we look forward to your next visit and to offering you more ‘Memorable Moments’.

Our kindest regards,

Hotel Manager

Been to Pestana Porto Santo All Inclusive & Spa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!