LOCATION: The main drawback of this hotel is the location. It is NOT within walking distance of anywhere and the local bus service is awful. The hotel is situated in the hills and accessed via a steep winding road traversed by regular coach trips. You will need to book a car. The hotel has an excellent souvenir shop attached to it - best prices in Maderia for a Morrocan cow-boy hat :)
FOOD: Restaurant was expensive, and the food ok. Better was the snack menu - eat outside on the veranda. Beware, at weekends it seems to be a popular wedding venue and the main restaurant is NOT accessible when a wedding is on, although you can order food.
ROOMS: Adequate with air con (working and not extra). Huge balcony. Clean sheets and towels. Very quiet at night.
HOTEL GROUNDS: Nicely presented. NO SWIMMING POOL ONLY A JAQUZZI. Excellent views, near to a local and very impressive scenic beauty spot. Massive balconies.
OVERALL: Decent enough for the money, and I would go back to this hotel again but probably not back to Maderia.
RESORT: I found the island a little boring and expensive. Best restaurants are in Funchal - but they are pricey as you are sharing the island with the Cruise ship crowd. 10 days in Maderia was LONG.
DO: Whale watching and visit the Blandy's Sherry factory. Go walking - be warned the walks are HARD unless you just want to stroll the promenade. There is also an island located nearby that is inhabited only by Tarantulas (there are no Tarantulas on the main island). Do expect fantastic views and challenging hiking type walks. There are also some great and historic little towns on Maderia built by the Portugese.
DONT: Go into ANY gift shops - the sales people are VERY pushy. Don't expect large sandy beeches - there aren't any.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Estalagem Eira do Serrado e um moderno e confortavel hotel do campo de 4 estrelas. Rodeada por uma paisagem impressionante, a Estalagem Eira do Serrado vai impressiona-lo com a beleza das suas fascinantes montanhas e vistas impetuosas que se estendem aos exuberantes vales em baixo. A natureza esta presente a partir de todos os quartos e zonas publicas do hotel. E o local perfeito para umas ferias, calmas, romanticas e inesqueciveis na Madeira. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Otel, Venere and HotelsClick so you can book your Estalagem Eira do Serrado reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Estalagem Eira Do Serrado Hotel Funchal
- Estalagem Eira Do Serrado Funchal
- Estalagem Eira Do Serrado Madeira/Funchal