We were due to fly on the 2nd March within a week of the terrible floods of Madeira. We were concerned that this hotel would be inaccessible so I emailed the hotel twice but had no reply at all. We went ahead with the holiday anyway & kept our fingers crossed. We arrived & the roads & the hotel were ok. The hotel is very remote & a car is a must which we did have but the drive up to this hotel can be a bind as its very steep winding roads to its remote location take about 30 mins each way before you hit the main carriageways. We stayed 8 nights here which is way to long at this hotel, I would only recomend a few days just to enjoy the views & the walk to the Nuns Valley but apart from that you could get bored here easily. The hotel has stunning views, it is generaly clean but lacks atmosphere,its a case of going to dinner & then back to the room. Most staff members were very helpful & friendly with the exception of one misserable staff who never smiled once, never said hello & just slapped the change on the table.He works in the cafe which is mostly for the tourists but if you want to sit in the lounge this is where you have to go to order your drinks.The food is very average & is typical Madeiran food, avoid the Bread panada, its a bowl of hot Olive oil with a lump of bread in it which they told us was soup. The waiter also asked us how we wanted our chicken ( medium rare or well done) I asked him are you joking , he said no , so you can imagine our worry. We later found out he was new & got mixed up with steak. After a few days there seemed to be a funny smell from the kitchen/ dining room almost like dirty water smell. One by one my family became I'll with sickness & Diarrhea. We only ate at the hotel & drunk bottled water , I wonder if the flooding may have contaminated something the hotel was using or if they were using tap water to wash the salad in. In general the hotel is recommended for a few days stay but no longer. I would recommend the Residencial Encumeada instead which has similar views of the mountains & is about £100 cheaper & easier to drive to.We stayed there 2 years ago & was very pleased.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Estalagem Eira do Serrado e um moderno e confortavel hotel do campo de 4 estrelas. Rodeada por uma paisagem impressionante, a Estalagem Eira do Serrado vai impressiona-lo com a beleza das suas fascinantes montanhas e vistas impetuosas que se estendem aos exuberantes vales em baixo. A natureza esta presente a partir de todos os quartos e zonas publicas do hotel. E o local perfeito para umas ferias, calmas, romanticas e inesqueciveis na Madeira. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Estalagem Eira do Serrado reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Estalagem Eira Do Serrado Hotel Funchal
- Estalagem Eira Do Serrado Funchal
- Estalagem Eira Do Serrado Madeira/Funchal