We have stayed here about 5 years ago and there has been some beneficial remodelling of the bedrooms and restaurant. I don't really understand some of the negative comments re the location of this place as it must be obvious that it is totally isolated above Curral do Freiras since the new tunnel has been built and a car is almost a "must". I would say however that probably a 2-3 day stay would be a good idea as most walks originate in the vally below and it does take a little time to get to/from either Curral/Funchal or wherever at the start/end of each day. Furthermore it shouldn't be a surprise that most Madeiran roads built prior to the last 15 years are of the steeply inclined, bendy and narrow variety - as dictated by the geography. The route to/from this hotel is no exception and is part of the experience !
The view from the adjacent miradour over the "Nun's Valley" is truly spectacular, as is the view from the restaurant (much of the old open air terrace is now behind glass).
This is a regular stopping point for tourist buses so the attached shop/cafe can get busy during "peak times", but early morning and evening is much quieter. However the location is such that the venue is popular for wedding receptions so we'd recommend avoiding a weekend stay.
Regarding the view it should be emphasised that this hotel is in the mountains and as is typical of Madeira, clouds can be attracted to the high peaks from mid afternoon. Whilst this can sometimes obscure the valley view it can oftain provide a wonderful view of Curral being covered in cloud whilst the hotel and surrounding peaks are in glorious sunshine.
All staff helpful and restaurant pretty good. A frequent niggle of mine is that whilst free wifi internet was accessible in reception and restaurant this didn't extend to the bedroom.
Overall to be recommended for a 2-3 day stay and we will return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Estalagem Eira do Serrado e um moderno e confortavel hotel do campo de 4 estrelas. Rodeada por uma paisagem impressionante, a Estalagem Eira do Serrado vai impressiona-lo com a beleza das suas fascinantes montanhas e vistas impetuosas que se estendem aos exuberantes vales em baixo. A natureza esta presente a partir de todos os quartos e zonas publicas do hotel. E o local perfeito para umas ferias, calmas, romanticas e inesqueciveis na Madeira. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Estalagem Eira do Serrado reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Estalagem Eira Do Serrado Hotel Funchal
- Estalagem Eira Do Serrado Funchal
- Estalagem Eira Do Serrado Madeira/Funchal