“Great Indian. Superb food.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian, Bar, Café
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Great Indian. Superb food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Firstly please note the address above is incorrect and is not on Rua dos Tanoeiros. The restaurant is on Rua do Esmeraldo and is number 40. It is just off the square called Praca Colombo and one road away from the address above, so is very easy to find.
After doing a tour of the island, we stayed for two nights in Funchal and needing a break from Portuguese cuisine, we saw this Indian restaurant listed on Trip Advisor, so decided to check it out.
Definitely not disappointed as this is some of the best Indian food we have eaten. As massive curry lovers, we were hugely impressed not only with the menu selection, but with prices and helpfulness of the owner.
As a vegetarian there is an extensive selection of very tasty dishes and my husband (dedicated meat eater) was very impressed with the lamb and chicken he had.
We ate here for two nights in a row and will certainly return next time we are in Madeira.
The restaurant has only just opened and is beautifully furnished and simply decorated.
Wishing the very friendly owner and chefs the very best for the future.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Funchal, Portugal
“Fantastic Indian Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

This is hands down one of the best Indian places I've been to (and I've been to many all over the world). It's open for breakfast, launch and dinner, and the prices are very affordable.
Madeira is a small place, and for us locals it's hard to find different cuisines, but thanks to the Indian House my cravings for Indian food are satisfied in the most yummy way.
My preference goes to the delicious lamb bhuna. Also be sure to try the onion bhajis starter.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wigan
“Fantastic curry”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Definitely the place to visit for a curry fix in Madeira
The service is knowledgable and polite.
The food is absolutely delicious. Shame we only found it the day before we returned home.
Visit you'll not be disappointed or hungry

Funchal, Portugal
“YUMALICIOUS!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

That’s yummy and delicious together. If you want to go home or back to your hotel happy and sleep well, like I did, then do this nice friendly and very tasty Indian restaurant in downtown Funchal.

I had the poppadums with chutney and chicken samosas as a starter, followed by a wickedly savoury and delish Lamb “Kadai”, finished off by the traditional lightly spiced mango ice cream they make on site. Yum, yum, yum.

The Lamb Kadai, as I understood by way of a quick explanation by the owner “Ganesh”, uses the more whole grain version of spices that are used in the traditional Indian fare restaurant. So it was with great pleasure to experience this twist on some of the classics. (I have always been a Jalfrezi fan – but this was even better). Whatever they did with those spices to make the kadai I do not know. But had no-one been looking I might have even licked the serving tray clean. (Yes, I can imagine you think I am some oaf with no etiquette right now…, but that is what the dish did for me).

The restaurant was practically brand new when I tried it. I was delighted to see the owner was a former staff member of another popular Indian restaurant, the “Taj Mahal”. Still, one of the first things I do to test the “spirit” of the restaurant is to ask them if they have 500ml mineral water bottles. I do this to see how they interpret the ratio between profiteering using smaller “portions” (to try and sell multiple, but smaller, water bottles, that is) over maximising the patron’s ambition for greater value for money service and fare (getting larger water bottles for about the same price as one of the smaller ones). The waiter said they only had the 250ml and none of the 500ml bottles. That was expected…So, I asked for two of the 250ml bottles. Well, to my delightful surprise the waiter suggested that I might just as well ask for a 750ml mineral water bottle as that would probably cheaper than two 250ml mineral waters. OMG!!! Did that really happen I had thought.... Usually the next step would be a 1 litre bottle. 750ml mineral water bottles? Great idea! For once in a thousand visits to hundreds of restaurants a waiter actually suggested something that would be less profitable to themselves over the comforts of a dinner guest? Since when does this happen in Madeira restaurants? A very good sign. A bottle of 750ml promptly appeared on my table. And, by the way, at the end of the meal I had finished most of the water. So, it seems, my water satiation needs exceeded the 500ml I thought I would need. That was a very positive sign.

Along with the poppadum, came the delicious side condiments of the yogurt, tamarind and coriander chutneys. No mango atcha (pickle) was included but that was brought and served immediately after I requested it, and at no extra charge. Another very good sign. The dinner plates came heated (which everywhere else in the world is almost a de-facto standard - but still something lacking in a majority most other more traditional Madeira restaurants…). Yet another good sign. Then the main course that prompted me to go onto this site and write about this restaurant. That was delicious. So very delicious…. (I went again the next day). But enough said. You need to try it out yourself.

Ok, ok…, I’ve probably written more than I should have. But the quality of the three course meal, the service, and the unexpected customer satisfaction given by those small things they do has to make this one of my more pleasurable eating-outs I have had in a long while in Madeira. AND, this is a big “and”, it cost just a little over fifteen Euros per person for the three courses and drinks. Amazing value for money over the quality and quantity served. Very , very good value in my humble opinion.

I would suggest you try the meal in the evening since during the day there is difficulty in finding “free” parking. That is, if you are travelling by car. However, in the evenings you could easily find a parking spot along the blue parking area alongside the Funchal Sé (Cathedral). There are of-course plenty of paid parking facilities nearby. The restaurant is a mere 30 metres behind the Sé cathedral. It is right in the heart of the city - albeit in a lesser- known and less-frequented road than most others in the central business district. The location is a blessing and a curse at the same time. It is a curse since it is not easy to find unless you specifically get told where it is. But a blessing precisely because it is so hidden away from everybody else…. I just hope it does not get too popular in the future that I have to wait in line to get in.

Now, I can go to bed with a smile glad in the way I was able to return the small kindness the staff at the restaurant showed me when I went there for supper. Good luck Ganesh, and good luck Indian House!

• Visited January 2013