“Fantastic fun!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rota dos Cetaceos

Rota dos Cetaceos
Marina Shopping _ Centro Comercial Infante | Avenida Arriaga, 75, Funchal, Madeira 9000-533, Portugal
+351 291 280 600
Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Utrecht, The Netherlands
5 attraction reviews
“Fantastic fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Doing this was one of the best things we did while staying on Madeira.
Half of the fun is the speedboat that takes you out on the ocean. We ended up seeing a large group of spotted dolphins and even a (big) pilot whale.
The marine biologist Vanessa (???) was great, she told us all about the dolphins and the whale we saw.

I would recommend this to anyone coming to Madeira, but since you are going out on the ocean there is a chance you may get seasick.

Visited July 2013

London
4 attraction reviews
“Worth the money but could be better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We paid to do the swimming with dolphins which was extra but where really excited and nervous for this experience. There was a marine biologist on board who gave us loads of info about the animals, answered any questions, and also pointed out the dolphins. We saw lots of dolphins and soon it was time for us to get in the water. I feel that they could cater better for this as neither of us had any experience using the snorkel and neither did the thers in our boat who had chosen to swim. It was basically drop yourself in and they tell you to stick your head in. It is not actually swimming but holding onto a rope which is hard as your holding your weight on it. They could improve the trip by asking more questions when you book and explaining what is involves fully. I am not a strong swimmer and so was frightened when the boat was moving over the top of me! I did however see the dolphins swimming around and next to me which was brilliant, more time in the water would be better as my mum and another girl didnt get another chance to get back in and practice. Worth the money if you got more time, but deff worth paying more fot marine biologist. They did refund my mum some of her swimming money as she hadnt seen anything.

London, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“Expensive but glad I did it, could be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

They have dolphin watchmen along the cliffs to find the whales/dolphins. The boats are fast so maybe you have more chance of finding whales/dolphins. The marine biologist on board was very friendly and gave lots of interesting information about the animals. We saw two pods of dolphins but no whales. Watching the dolphins was really great and when we arrived they jumped out of the water. I paid extra to swim with the dolphins and wetsuits and snorkels were provided. Not everyone in the group I was with wanted to swim though so I guess there were conflicting objectives. It wasn't actually swimming but holding on to the boat. The experience was amazing and I recommend it. However, my girlfriend had problems holding on to the rope and using the mask - it wasn't easy (the rope was quite high). We were told to come back on board. I was allowed another go but she wasn't given a second chance to see them. It would have been nice for it to last a bit longer (only about two minutes underwater) and to be a bit more helpful to those who found it difficult or even have something a little more ergonomic. No refund was offered. It was also considerably more expensive than other tours.

London, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
“Amazing experience! Do it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

For 48 euros you are taken out on a speedboat, (which is half of the fun of the trip!) and will go either left or right of the bay in search of dolphins and whales. As a dolphin lover, my boyfriend and I also did the swimming with dolphins part, when we found a good group of dolphins as the instructors advised. Despite not remaining in the water for long due to presence of jellyfish, it was an incredible experience and they did not charge us for this element which was great.
Having a marine biologist on board makes the trip all the more interesting and you are guaranteed to see dolphins and/or whales!
Definitely recommend!

3 attraction reviews
“Do this !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Fabulous staff. Wonderful respect for the environment. Small groups. My husband and I just did this a few days ago. Do the swimming! Delighted to write this review

Visited April 2013