“A special hotel and staff which treat it's guests as special.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Quinta Jardins do Lago

You added Quinta Jardins do Lago to your Saves list
Quinta Jardins do Lago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rua Dr. Joao Lemos Gomes 29 | São Pedro, Funchal, Madeira 9000-158, Portugal   |
Ranked #1 of 90 Hotels in Funchal
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
“A special hotel and staff which treat it's guests as special.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

What can I say that hasn’t already been said so many times and in great detail by other reviewers other than to reiterate just what a beautiful, peaceful and personable hotel the Quinta Jardins do Lago is.

We have used Tripadvisor for almost 10 years now to choose holiday accommodation and more recently, restaurants, and thanks to others’ articulate reviews have yet to be disappointed, but nevertheless, we were still surprised and delighted at just how exceptional the Quinta is.

We stayed for 7 days from 26th September having booked B & B only, intending to sample some of Funchal’s many restaurants. Since we’d booked a table in the restaurant just for our evening of arrival, we assumed we’d order from the Quinta’s own A La Carte menu. However, upon arrival, the charming young lady receptionist pointed out that here was a half-board menu available on display in the lobby for which B&B guests could choose if reserved before 5.00 pm each day

They offer 5 courses comprising a light starter, soup, fish , meat and dessert for 40 Euros and it was so delicious, the service so attentive and each day’s menu so appetising, that like at least one other reviewer, we changed our intentions to eat out and although having intended to drive into Funchal, enjoyed staying in for a relaxing meal and coffee / drinks in the lounge afterwards – something we’ve never done for every evening of our stays at any other hotel.

Rather than venture into Funchal in our rental car on our first full day, we opted to book the courtesy bus to familiarise ourselves and although the morning bus was full, they arranged for a second one just 15 minutes later which was just one of many examples of how they look after their guests. We drove into Funchal on later days and made a point of driving through it’s ‘Hotel City’ area which made us even more appreciative of the Quinta’s peaceful seclusion

We were looked after even more personally the next day when we planned to start touring the island and Luis in Reception gave us some excellent recommendations on places to visit while the weather was so clear. We set off to find that my unfamiliarity with the lights on our hire car had left us with a dead flat battery but Luis rang both the hire car company and their Recovery agents for us immediately and we were on our way in no more than 30 minutes.

We didn’t realise just how precipitous the island is and after our first few drives, we were seeing hairpin bends in our sleep, but if for you, discretion is better than valour, there’s no need to miss it’s spectacular scenery as there were plenty of coach tours, Jeep safaris and organised walks which they will book for you at Reception. There’s also the cable car and toboggan in Funchal which we’ll try during another visit as we’d got our kicks from our drives around the island after which we were able to relax by the pool with drinks and snacks with attentive service from the Bistro.

So it’s another 5+ stars from us for a 5-star Hotel in every aspect.

Room Tip: I wouldn't worry - The views from our ground floor room in the hotel extension of the garden and...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Kuwait
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

we felt like family during our stay there ! What an amazing stay we had at Quinta Jardins do Lago for 4 night in Funchal, Madeira ! I'm so happy that I made the best choice to my group of travelers when I decided to book at this beautiful Hotel ! The place, The atmosphere , the gardens and ofcourse the amazing service by the friendly staff who keeps smiling all day ! My group loved it so much and so do I ! I was so happy with the nice gesture by the managment of the hotel with a delicious cake to celebrate my birthday in Madeira ! If you're loooking for a place to relax, enjoy peace, be in a city getaway and served by the best staff ever .. make your stay with Quinta Jardins do Lago

Room Tip: Suite 306 with amazing view over the city and ocean !
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

This is a lovely hotel set in around 8 acres of gardens creating a really peaceful setting for a relaxing stay. The gardens are outstanding. I am a keen amateur photographer particularly liking the effects of light. The way plants were grouped and positioned to catch the light was the work of a true artist. I didn't have my SLR with me and regretted it. Columbo, a giant tortoise from the Galapagos, ambled the grounds and was a star attraction. Food and service were excellent. We were bed and breakfast as we like to savour the local life on an evening but half board included a five course dinner which was first class and a high proportion of people opted for this. Staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly, i.e. they laughed at my jokes, including photocopying for me a picture of Columbo which I particularly liked. Attractive pool area with a good supply of sun beds and bar offering reasonably priced and tasty lunches.The only drawback which I suspect applies to a lot of Funchal hotels is it is quite a long walk down to the sea front/centre. Not a problem going down, but coming back it was a 15 minute, steep lung bursting climb (if you are 60+ and can beat our time I, and the staff, will be impressed). Taxis back at around 6 Euro are readily available for the faint hearted/sensible. Actually most guests seemed to stay in the hotel and there was a very social atmosphere. If you do eat out try Restaurante Mina on the Rua do Bispo. Just started up, very good food and value and nice people. One of the specialties of the area is steak on a hot (granite) stone which sits in front of you and you cook strips of steak to your taste. Nice idea but I tried it in an inside restaurant and it wasn't just the steak that cooked, it was like sharing a table with a storage heater. At Mina you can have one outside, perfect.

Room Tip: Opt for a superior room with garden view. Worth the money and you may get an upgrade
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed from 20/09/14-04/10/14 a wonderful experience from the minute I stepped through the door check in so smooth and lady with lovely warm smile made me feel so welcome and she escorted me to my room sorry I'm hopeless with names have to say she isn't right through my stay when I seen her she addressed me by my name your not just a number at this hotel
Everything that is advertised about this hotel is true and then some the breakfast is beautiful never boring eggs cooked for you any way you like all service is carried out beautifully and quietly never any fuss.
You leave the card on your door to let cleaning staff know that your out and they can carry out their duties again which they do again quietly and efficiently I just cannot praise this hotel enough
The gardens are amazing again the gardeners go about busy but not intrusive
I had room 105 ground floor it was lovely looking out on the garden and up to the hills
Also courtesy bus 4 times a day 7 days a week i only used it a couple of times as I like to walk I agree a very steep walk down to Funchal when you come out of hotel turn left but if you turn right walk straight down hill to supermarket and follow sign for funchal takes you straight to the start of the old town much easier walk good pavement all the way as your on the main road much easier for walking back up
If I go back to Madeira which I hope I will I couldn't go to another hotel well done standards have not slipped here in any way the first time I felt I could just stay at the hotel it is so beautiful and relaxing pool lovely and quiet people respected one another's peace lots of places in hotel and gardens to sit either among other people or on your own and Colombo the tortoise lovely great attraction for everyone and the swan lake
Sorry to have gone on but please go if you like good standards and beautiful surroundings as an older lady who travels alone I never felt lost in the crowd and very safe and quite sure if I had a problem the staff would be happy to help me nothing was too much trouble for them.
Well done and thank you

Room Tip: Room 105 ground floor looks out on to gardens and to the hills beautiful
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Hertfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Stayed for only four nights early in October - we were impressed by the quality of the hotel, food and staff. best thing we can say is, we booked for six nights next year before we left the hotel a few days ago

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

This was our first visit to Madeira and we chose Jardins do Logo purely because of its fabulous write-ups in Tripadvisor. We booked a premier suite but were upgraded to the Presidential Suite, which could mean we had the best room in the best hotel in Funchal. We have travelled the World but this place is unique. It is a beautiful building with wonderful rooms and it is spotlessly clean.
The food is very good in excellent surroundings. The gardens and pool are just exquisite.
All that said it is the staff who make the stay so enjoyable. Their service is understated and simply perfect.
A few thoughts:
The hotel shuttle leaves you a fair way out of town, so we preferred to take a taxi.
Madeira is not just Funchal and through the hotel we arranged for 2 day tours with their driver/guide Esmeraldo Caldeira. This man is absolutely brilliant, speaking perfect English he brings the whole island to life.
We also enjoyed 'The Madeira Story' for an overview of Madeira's history and a boat trip on 'Sea Born'. We decided to risk the sledge run which was brilliant. Our driver was able to pick us up at the end of the run, keeping us well away from the reported taxi sharks.
The Hotel food was good but the menu was limited, so we also ate in the old town restaurants and particularly liked 'Estrela do Mar'
This was a wonderful holiday and we would like to thank the staff for making it so enjoyable.

York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

This was our first trip to Maderia and I always check out tripadvisor for reviews of hotels etc: I chose this hotel for its excellent ratings and also because it was small (40 room) and but set in it's own botanical gardens/grounds, which suited us as we hoped for peace and quiet for a relaxing week; we were not to be disappointed. On arrival we were greeted by the wonderful reception staff who were all most friendly, courteous and very helpful and on hand 24/7.
Apart from two days when we ventured into Funchal via the hotels courtesy mini-bus, We stayed by the outdoor pool that was equipped with a bistro, mini-gym, sauna, steam room and hot-tub. The pool area was heaven in that there were no clients of the type that always seem to want to spoil your holiday by shouting, or speaking loudly and constantly on a mobile or general anti-social behaviour. We elected to go for B&B when we booked, but on sampling our first night with the TDH menu, a 5 course affair that proved superb we elected to go HB which was not to disappoint throughout the week and was held in the beautiful colonial style part of the original main building; For breakfast (self service, with hot and cold buffet available) and a choice of eating inside or outdoor was available and the ding room staff were superb. The food available at the poolside bistro was varied and most enjoyable and you could share one meal between couples that proved to be adequate. Our room was a 'superior garden view' the room was large with a hugh bed and a sumptuous marble bathroom; we were situated on the ground floor of a three story annexe attached to the main building; the view from the balcony/patio was lovely as we looked out onto the beautiful botanical garden and also the distant hillside that was littered with dwellings beyond the valley below towards Funchal that gave a most picturesque vista especially when all was lit at night. To sum up I would go again, I could not fault the hotel or staff; we had a cracking time. In general the clientele were mature, though we did experience a couple of well behaved children with their parents. If you want a relaxing and quiet holiday this is the place for you, otherwise if you require a more lively venue look elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Quinta Jardins do Lago? Share your experiences!