Stayed here last week. Once again the Trip Adviser community didn't let us down. A beautifully furnished small hotel as described - antiques, original oils, marble, polished wooden floors with rugs. Staff generally very very helpful and Luis makes the best dry Martini ever. We went half board and were delighted with the excellent buffet breakfast (eaten outside every day whilst the UK shivered with snow). Dinner was a set 5 course menu which offered huge variety, imagination and skill. Drinks and wine were reasonably priced for a hotel of this standard. We met lovely people and had a great second visit to a wonderful island.
We stayed at Reads 18 months ago and whilst Reads was great, so was Jardins do Lago. And Jardins is just about affordable whereas current Reads prices look affordable to Russian oligarchs but not us!
Things which could make it even better? First the coffee was really pretty poor. I've had good coffee in Madeira but this time ended up having to get a really good galao in the Golden gate cafe in the main square. A cappuccino isn't a small black coffee with a squirt of cream from an aerosol can! And second, the wifi is rubbish. None in the bedroom, intermittent and poor bandwidth on the balcony. And the staff on reception said all I needed to do was stand still and it would connect. Not true and as a rule its good not to have the staff patronise the guests. Most guests at this standard of hotel will expect IT to work painlessly. No more feeble excuses. It costs very little to fix this sort of hotel facility so just fix it! And thirdly,the gym equipment was the worst I've seen in a top quality hotel. It needs a rower, a cross trainer and a decent bike. Hardly a fortune given the turnover of the business. Niggles. Hardly the end of the earth. But all are needed to get from very good to fabulous.
So will we be back. To Madeira, undoubtedly! To Jardins do Lago? If you are booked, relax, you'll have a great holiday here. We may well see you there. But first lets test out the Cliff Bay! If they've got a decent spa, surely they'll have a decent gym? :-)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Large Botanical Garden with more them 500 different spices of plants and a variety of pleasant and relaxing areas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Despegar.com, Otel, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, HostelBookers and Tingo so you can book your Quinta Jardins do Lago reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quinta Jardins Do Lago Hotel Funchal
- Quinta Jardins Do Lago Funchal
- Jardins Lago
- Quinta Jardins Do Lago Madeira/Funchal