We have just spent a week at this hotel and we plan to go back again. Thank you Classic Connections. Perfect service, delightful food, charming people and a view of the sea at was a constant joy. We booked half board and were pleased we did. The evening meals were delicious and portion sizes helpfully modest for me as I am trying to cut down how much I eat. A further bonus of eating in the hotel is not having to run the gauntlet of waiters on the pavements touting for custom for their restaurants. There is also the option of dining at other hotels in this chain, with a free taxi service. The breakfast buffet contained a wide variety of cooked and cold items, fruit, cereals, tea, coffee. I think there were some herbal teas as well but don't quote me on at. There was a variety of interesting breads and cakes
Our room was spotlessly clean when we arrived and the daily refresh and bed making was done beautifully. In the bathroom everything worked faultlessly. There were plenty of towels. There was a brilliant view of the harbour and we watched the cruise ships come and go.
The location in the old part of Funchal was perfect for us. Although it is up a slight hill it is an easy walk from the town centre. It is better to use the road on the seaward side of the hotel as the one at the front, though not busy, is quite narrow and the drivers do not seem to pay much attention to pedestrians.
The only Ingrid's that was missing were tea and coffee making facilities in our room. Though we never got round to asking about them. I am sure it would not have been a problem if we had asked. The staff were all so charming and helpful. They are fluent in English. We heard them also speaking German and French to customers. Their services skills were exemplary.
We wanted a quiet, well serviced hotel with a sea view. That is exactly what we got, only it was better than we expected.
One thing to bear in mind, is that there are large scale road works going on on the sea front. They are likely to continue for another eighteen months. These can be very noisy during the day. However there seem to be very strict controls over the starting and finishing times. We were not disturbed by them at all. The finished result will be well worth it.
Another point, I wouldn't recommend hiring a car. For UK drivers the roads are very narrow, mostly on steep hills with frequent U bends. To my eyes the junctions were not very clear. The local drivers seem quite considerate but the traffic is fast for such narrow roads. Considering the conditions the cars are relatively free of bumps and scrapes, which suggests the locals drive carefully, but it seemed a bit like watching a fairground ride. There are lots of taxis and buses and the prices seemed quite reasonable.
Overall, a wonderful holiday in a lovely hotel. We plan to go back later in the year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The charming 4-star hotel Quinta Bela São Tiago was originally a traditional Madeiran Manor House built in 1834. The manor house and its extensive gardens have been carefully restored to create a paradise right in the heart of this lovely old district.The Quinta Bela São Tiago offers a welcoming and relaxing atmosphere in a unique location in Madeira! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Quinta Bela Sao Tiago reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quinta Bela Sao Tiago Hotel Funchal
- Quinta Bela Sao Tiago Funchal
- Hotel Quinta Bela Sao Tiago Madeira/Funchal