A week at this hotel was sunshine itself. Situated in the Old Town area this hotel is perfectly placed for the local restaurants and cafes. Delightful staff, attentive but not overbearing: ready to help when asked and their guidance was spot-on. Breakfast was a buffet style and very relaxed too. No rush, no fuss just good food. The room was comfortable with adequate space for the luggage we had taken with us. Just be aware of the rugs, they don't half shift when you stand on them! Once caught, twice shy... A proper bath too! What a delight after a hard day in the hills walking the pathways. The weather for the week was overcast with rain on a couple of days, that said we were out every day. The evening short walk down to one of the many good quality restaurants meant a good nights sleep was guaranteed.
Madeira is a rock in the Atlantic; everywhere on the island seems to be uphill via very twisty roads. That said, there are some stunning views that just would not be there if the island was flat! Funchal is undergoing major civil engineering work along the fore shore. This involves the immediate transportation system. Some of the work is to create new "beach" areas, others are to rebuild the flood damaged parts of the town infrastructure. The noise from these works can be heard on the terrace to the hotel but is background rather than in your face. There are hotels within yards (meters) of the construction work - I have pity the occupants.
We had checked out recent reviews before booking: generally the small niggles are still there, 1.50 euro for the use of the room safe and the room lighting system. These though did not detract from the overall excellent stay.
We would definitely book again, finding a good deal to recommend this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The charming 4-star hotel Quinta Bela São Tiago was originally a traditional Madeiran Manor House built in 1834. The manor house and its extensive gardens have been carefully restored to create a paradise right in the heart of this lovely old district.The Quinta Bela São Tiago offers a welcoming and relaxing atmosphere in a unique location in Madeira! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Tingo, Priceline, Travelocity, BookingOdigeoWL and Venere so you can book your Hotel Quinta Bela Sao Tiago reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quinta Bela Sao Tiago Hotel Funchal
- Quinta Bela Sao Tiago Funchal
- Hotel Quinta Bela Sao Tiago Madeira/Funchal