We stayed here in 2006 and returned this year. This is still an excellent hotel being located, in our opinion, in the best location in Funchal, close to restaurants, the cable car, bus terminal and market with a great view over the harbour. There are building works going on way down on the sea front but these were far enough away that they did not detract from our stay and provided an extra point of interest to watch. We were "upgraded " to a junior suite on the rooftop which was a huge room divided into two with sloping roofs and a bit dark but with good views from the rooftop terrace. However, there was no wind break (or for the summer, shade) so it was not possible to sit outside as much as would have been the case with the regular sea view rooms which have a side wall for protection. If visiting again I would definitely choose this hotel but decline the upgrade if offered.
We used the local restaurants every night. The Elstresa do Mar on the corner was our favourite for good value; we had a poor meal at the highly rated O Jango but perhaps we were just unlucky.
We used Madeira Airport Transfers for return taxi transfers which were very efficient. We also did a half day tour to the Nun's Valley with Pride of Madeira tours. Our guide Ezekial was excellent and went out of his way to go the extra mile taking us off the usual tourist circuit and giving us lots of time. Some of us did the walk down from the viewpoint to the village and he collected us at the bottom. I would recommend them.
Apart from the various gardens (don't miss the Monte tropical gardens at the top of the cable car), a good day out is to take a bus to the Quinta do Palheiro gardens and after visiting these, walk up to the Levada dos Tornos, walk to Romeiros and catch the bus back to Funchal (or get off the Levada at Quinta do Pomar and walk down to the Botanical Gardens and bus back from there. The Hortensia Tea house on the Levada makes a pleasant stop for a snack and or drink with views over Funchal.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The charming 4-star hotel Quinta Bela São Tiago was originally a traditional Madeiran Manor House built in 1834. The manor house and its extensive gardens have been carefully restored to create a paradise right in the heart of this lovely old district.The Quinta Bela São Tiago offers a welcoming and relaxing atmosphere in a unique location in Madeira! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Tingo, Travelocity, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere and Otel so you can book your Hotel Quinta Bela Sao Tiago reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quinta Bela Sao Tiago Hotel Funchal
- Quinta Bela Sao Tiago Funchal
- Hotel Quinta Bela Sao Tiago Madeira/Funchal