“Madeira, I love you.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Jardins d'Ajuda Suite Hotel I and II

Save Saved
You added Jardins d'Ajuda Suite Hotel I and II to your Saves list
Jardins d'Ajuda Suite Hotel I and II
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rua Nova Vale D'Ajuda, Funchal, Madeira 9000-720, Portugal   |
Ranked #56 of 91 hotels in Funchal
Gothenburg, Sweden
“Madeira, I love you.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

In March of 2013, I stayed at Jardíns d'Ajuda hotel in the island of Madeira for a week with breakfast.

The weather was windy, a little cold and it rained a few times. So it wasn’t pleasant to swim outdoor, but the hotel has a heated swimming pool indoor.

Most of the customers were elderly French, British, Swedes and Norwegians. The atmosphere was friendly and relaxed. This hotel is a good place to just relax at an affordable price. The evening entertainment by a father and his daughter was almost the same for almost a whole week, it was good, though a little repetitive. Their songs nevertheless made the elderly cheerfully sing and dance, some were shaking like teenagers (it is never too late….).

The cleaning staff worked pretty hard to keep the hotel constantly clean. The staff at the reception were respectful, helpful, cheerful and took the time to answer all the questions in good English and even in some other languages. The gardener worked alone very hard caring for all the banana trees and other exotic trees and flowers in the hotel area. These people were amazing. I wish I could give the hotel 4 * because of the quality of service from the employees, but the final score is rather a strong +3 *.

The buffet breakfast was very good, the food was clean, varied and abundant, catering for almost all tastes. Even those with lactose intolerance could find something to eat. I just wished they provided a little more cheese variety as there was only one sort of cheese for the entire week. Everything was freshly made. The staff were helpful and worked hard to keep all the diners happy. When I saw what was on offer at the buffet dinner, I decided to eat in the hotel on five evenings as I had no reason to eat elsewhere, but there are very good restaurants in the area. I was a little disappointed though when I didn’t get ice cream for desert.

The central heating didn’t work in my cold room. I didn’t expect much but told a cleaner who happened to be cleaning the adjacent room. Few minutes later a technician came to check on the heater, he couldn’t repair it immediately so he brought a stand-alone heater to my room and explained for me how it worked. All this took less than 30 minutes. I call this first-class service.

One thing I didn’t understand was why the staff turned off the light in the small shower rooms near the indoor swimming pool. I brought this issue to the staff’s attention. The explanation they gave was that the massage staff turn off the lights when they have a customer in the adjacent room. I still don’t understand why the lights had to be turned off….. that made the shower rooms dark. This is a safety issue that the hotel must address, because most of the customers are elderly people that could easily stumble, fall and get injured when they use the dark shower rooms.

Internet was available 24/7 only in the reception area and the hotel’s nice pub. The quality of the network was good.

You actually don’t need to leave the hotel at all because they provide everything you need, however, there is a large shopping center near the hotel that has a European style. There is also a free hotel bus that take you to Funchal several times a day and surprisingly all days of the week. I personally think one should take a few trips to some beautiful places in the island, the reception will help you with the agents that provide this service. The agents presented by the reception are trustworthy and serious. You can choose between taxi, minibus or bus for the trips. You can also find cheaper agents outside the hotel.

One irritating thing that I didn’t like about this hotel was that smoking was unfortunately permitted. Some chain smokers abused this permission and it wasn’t easy to avoid them as they occupied the entrances. Luckily, smoking was restricted to one area of the garden.

This is to the manager of the hotel. Dear sir, please add an “Unsubscribe” button at the bottom of the emails your hotel is sending to your past customers. It is unsuitable to use our official email addresses to send advertisements and other unimportant emails that we didn’t ask for. In some countries it is illegal to send unsolicited emails. I was never asked at the reception if i’m interested in receiving emails from your hotel.

It was my third visit to Madeira, the capital Funchal has changed a lot. It used to be a small charming village with a lot of flowers, now it has become more of a European city with large hotel complexes, shops, roads, cars and pollution from vehicle emission. I felt sad seeing how much Funchal has changed as Madeira is a small, charming and green island, building roads all over it will take away the very reason why visitors come to the island in the first place. I hope their politicians sooner rather than later wake up to this very fact, before it is too late.

Despite Swedes being one of the highest consumers of banana in the world, the banana trees are seldom seen in Sweden other than in botanical gardens, therefore, it is very tempting to pick banana from the trees in Madeira. We tourists must nonetheless be respectful towards the farmers. Those juicy Madeiran bananas can be bought in all the local supermarkets at a reasonable price.

Madeirans are pleasant, friendly and welcoming people, full of dignity and integrity. Tourists never get attacked, threatened or abused in any way like in some other nasty countries, which is one of the reasons why tourists, most of which elderly and pensioners from EU, keep revisiting the island. Other reasons are of course the famous Madeiran food and wine and last but not least, the beauty of the island itself. I will probably revisit the island for the fourth time next Winter, hopefully the weather will be better.

Room Tip: Rooms in the higher floors have better view and quality.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

180 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed in Feb for a week. Room very good, large with twins settee, kitchenette table and chairs.
Reception staff all excellent. Breakfast was the biggest let down, not enough choice especially as my daughter is veggie so usually fills up on breakfast with pastries etc.. but a someone else mentioned food was not relelished quick enough staff were more intrested in setting up tables.
out door pool is cold even though it states heated, indoor pool fine, jacussi great had a massage which was very good.area good shops down the road, abit further for resturants, bus good shame it dose not do a latter pickup.they do a towel service and kettle in room a few bath stuff like shampoo and body wash. Free wi fi in reception, entertainment not good, same singers every night.local dancers one night.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Warrington, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

My wife and I had stayed at The Jardins d'Ajuda in March 2012, and decided to return for the New Year 2012/13.
We were warmly greeted by the reception staff who remembered us, it was the same in the dining room, first one waiter then another coming over to say Hello. It really does make you feel at home and amongst friends
New Years Eve went with a bang, the Gala dinner was excellent and was followed by a cabaret. Later, to see in the New Year the management opened up the roof top for us to watch the fantastic fireworks display down in Funchal. Free sparkling wine was available on the roof.
Throughout the rest of the stay we ate in the dining room on eight more occasions and were not disappointed, the choice available at the buffett offered something for all tastes. I became firm friends with the head Chef, Tonio and we had many a foody chat, my wife also became good friends with Paula the head waitress. Paula even gave us a going home gift before we came home. This is a Four Star establishment with Five star facilities and staff. We have two more visits planned for 2013, in October and again for the New Year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Les Andelys
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We have just spent another lovely week in Madeira. Having spent lots of time walking the levadas and mountains it was great to get back in the late afternoon to take a sauna, swim and jacuzzi. Our room was looking a little bit tired but very spacious and very clean. We were first of all offered a room overlooking the road which was a nicer room but we wanted the calm of the garden side of the hotel. This year we only had bed and breakfast so can't comment on what the dinners were like but the breakfasts were very good with food for all nationalities. The staff were very friendly and helpful and we shall probably go back again next year.

Room Tip: I would recommend asking for a room at the back of the hotel as I imagine it could be noisy at the f...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Poole, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We were originally supposed to be staying at the musa hotel, a smaller building down the street owned by Jardins d'Ajuda. However, when we arrived we were upgraded to the main hotel free of charge, although this is a much more expensive hotel. The desk staff were extremely friendly, always taking the time to greet us and ask how we were, even if we were simply passing through to the restaurant or pool. The restaurant and bar staff were the best part of our stay, extremely happy and helpful, and we felt as if they were friends of ours by the time we left. The room was great, with a perfect view and the maids were friendly and efficient. We slept like logs every night we were here. There is a free courtesy bus to the town many times a day which is great. Overall, a great stay. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Orpington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

This is my second review on this hotel, as soon as you walk into this hotel you are made to feel very welcome.All the staff are very friendly and nothing is to make trouble for them.
The rooms are a little dated but clean and well furnish The room as a little kitchenette area which is very handy for cup of tea and making a sandwich for your lunch, we had view which over look the pool and beautiful gardens.
The pool area in very nice and clean with plenty of free sun loungers it also and has a coffee shop where you can get cold drinks and meals for lunch from .The garden area is also very beautiful, we would go a have our breakfast in the restaurant and then go and have a sit in the garden to have think about the days events.
The restaurant is very good too. The staff are very friendly and helpful they cater for all your needs and if there is something that you would like but can't see it they get it for you . We normally eat out every night by the food was good here so we decided to eat in the restaurant .
The hotel also has a very good indoor pool area with Jacuzzi which comes in handy if the weather isn't to good.
The hotel is basic near a nice shopping center and near bus stops to take you into the center of Funchal.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We enjoyed our holiday here and the whole Maderia experience. We have been meaning to visit the island for a while now after hearing good reviews. Agreed with many reviewers that most of the British visitors are elderly and it is used mainly by Spanish and French families. One good point if you can say that is that we did not see one football shirt all week in the whole of Madeira - and I am a football supporter myself. I guess this says something about the type of people who visit Madeira. The Hotel is looking it's age but all was clean and tidy and room was large with comforable beds. Being on the outskirts of Funchal the Hotel is in a quieter area (that goes for most of Funchal) but the bus service is very frequent and bang on time - get an all week ticket for really good value - this will even take you up to Monte and the gardens in the hills surrounding the town. We used the Forum shopping centre - 2 mins walk away which was very good. Outdoor pool was good and we also used the indoor pool and Sauna which were also fine. Pool bar was good with reasonably priced food and drink. We tend not to return to the same hotel or resort if we can but would add this to our reccomended list.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Jardins d'Ajuda Suite Hotel I and II? Share your experiences!