Our week is in February, but last time we were able to visit that week we faced the flood that sadly killed so many local people and one British woman.
This time we combined two weeks and went in 08-22 April '13.
It was like coming back home but to probably more luxury than we have at home.
We did breakfast ourselves on the verandah that leads to the gardens which are always delightful; like a botanical garden. The evenings were a mix between something light in and eating in one of the four restaurants on site. Italian - Il Basilico, buffet - Atlantida, Potugese - Al Farma, and Mediterranean - The Med.
Staff were all attentive and good humoured. Entertainment varied from some insipid keyboard with effects and girl singer to the incredible Sangre Latino (difficult to classify but well worth checking out) and very capable The Black Dog Blues Band.
Whilst The Residence is part of Vila Porto Mare complex (includes Hotel Porto Mare and Eden Mar hotel) it never appears crowded.
I would suggest it's not ideal for kids a most in the Vila Porto Mare are older; but that's Madeira!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Occupying the west wing of the Vila Porto Mare resort, The Residence enjoys the use of all its facilities and a real sense of community. A wide selection of carefully furnished and fully equipped apartments where comfort is our motto. The 99 units divided into studios, one and two bedroom apartments are decorated with a touch of exoticism. The Residence apartments combine views over the ocean with tropical gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Tingo, TravelClick, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline and Expedia so you can book your The Residence Porto Mare (Porto Bay) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Mare Residence Funchal
- Porto Mare Residence Hotel Funchal
- The Residence Porto Mare (Porto Bay) Madeira/Funchal