This was our ninth visit to Madeira and also to this hotel and timeshare complex. While we stayed at the Residence which is the timeshare section of the hotel we do not own a timeshare prefering to remain flexible in the length of stay and timing of our visits. The rooms are used as hotel suites or studios when not sold as timeshares. The service was excellent and the room up to the usual standard. We very much enjoy the grounds of the hotel which has some lovely plants all labelled. There are 4 swimming pools, 2 indoors and several restuarants. We used the Atlantida which is a buffet restaurant with the best buffet we have ever seen. The staff there are first rate and always ready to make your meal a pleasant experience. The Manager, Alexandre, is especially good at answering our many questions abouit Madeira and it's peoples.
Our room was well equiped as a studio and our maid Fatima was most efficient and friendly. Part of the complex is a small ice cream and coffee cafe on the parade - Patricia runs this and she made it a pleasant place to relax for half an hour with a coffee or a large ice cream concoction!
The hotel is about 1.5 miles from the centre of Funchal next to the Lido. A free curtesy bus will take you downtown although we prefer to use our car and walk the many levadas on the island, most leading into the wild and very beautiful back country. You do need a head for heights though since many have very narrow (15inch) walkways with sheer drops and not all have guard rails!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Occupying the west wing of the Vila Porto Mare resort, The Residence enjoys the use of all its facilities and a real sense of community. A wide selection of carefully furnished and fully equipped apartments where comfort is our motto. The 99 units divided into studios, one and two bedroom apartments are decorated with a touch of exoticism. The Residence apartments combine views over the ocean with tropical gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Tingo, Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your The Residence Porto Mare (Porto Bay) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Mare Residence Funchal
- Porto Mare Residence Hotel Funchal
- The Residence Porto Mare (Porto Bay) Madeira/Funchal