“A good place to stay.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lti Pestana Grand

You added Lti Pestana Grand to your Saves list
Lti Pestana Grand
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rua Ponta da Cruz, 23, Funchal, Madeira 9000-103, Portugal   |
Ranked #12 of 88 Hotels in Funchal
Haugesund, Norway
“A good place to stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

I have been many times with Pestana in Madeira, but I do belive that Grand Pestana
is the best. It has always been a nice place to be.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
FrontOfficeGrand, Guest Relations Manager at Lti Pestana Grand, responded to this review, October 7, 2010
Dear guest,
Thank you for ratting us! I believe that everyone in this hotel will be happy to have you again with us. Best wishes and king regards from all.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Polish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

I would re-visit this hotel. The rooms were spacious and it was away form the main harbour so a little quieter but with easy access to restaurants. There was direct access straight onto the promande. The pool made the hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
FrontOfficeGrand, Guest Relations Manager at Lti Pestana Grand, responded to this review, September 29, 2010
Dear guest,
thank you very much for your compliments to our pool.
As our hotel is not located directly at the main road, this makes a holiday quieter with less noise, i'm glad you have a relaxing time with us.
Take care and best regards.
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

We stayed at the Pestana Grand Madeira for 1 week in September. This is a lovely hotel. The gardens are lovely with lots of shady places to sit, read and relax. The pools (though not warm) are exceptionally clean and no problem with sunbeds or umbrellas for those of a fair skin. We used the indoor pool, spa facilities, sauna etc and they were more than adequate. We went half board and were very lazy - I cant review much around the surroundings of the hotel as we hardly left the premises, which is very unusual for us. I was pleased that we could eat in the various restaurants in the hotel, Italian, Moroccan, as I am not a fan of buffets, though when we did eat there it was good. The choice for breakfast is very varied and something to suit everyone. Could not fault it. This was my husbands first trip abroad having just been diagnosed as Coeliac and the restaurant staff were very helpful and willing to check with the chef on all occasions. Room was spacious and bed exceptionally comfortable, slept like a baby. My only gripe would be that the toiletries supplied by the hotel were a little on the scarce side, though when I asked housekeeping they were always more than willing to give more. However, I do think that in a 5 star hotel, more than two shampoos, two shower gels and one body lotion per day is a little on the stingy side. Other than that small gripe everything else was perfect. It is suitable for those looking for a very relaxing holiday, or those with small children, i.e. babies. I would not recommend it for teenagers. It was lovely to relax around the pool and listen to the silence.

Dear guest,
We are very happy to know that you had a nice holiday with us and you enjoyed our facilities.
We try to adjust facilities and surroundings so we can fulfill every guests taste, however we are allways open minded and willing to change something in guests benefit.
Room amenities are placed in the room according to guests need but, when required, we place more without any problem.
I hope this doesn't affect your decision in visiting us again, as we will be certainly waiting for your visit.
Best Regards from all
Sherburn in Elmet, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

The location of the hotel was perfect for us - an easy walk into Funchal and away from the crowds. The pool - the largest salt water pool on the island I understand - was fabulous. The hotel rooms were spacious and well equipped. My only compliant would be the bed which was extremely uncomfortable - in a a 5 star hotel I would have expected a quality mattress and sheets that covered the entire mattress and not be 3 inches short at the top and bottom of the bed. I didn't rate any of the interaction I had with staff and didn't expect to be "told off" one morning by a member of staff when I took a quarter full bottle of water to my table instead of having to keep getting up to re-fill my thimble sized glass. The hotel didn't provide very much information for guests who booked directly and weren't part of a package holiday. I think the hotel is fantastic for older guests who like the added extras the hotel offers ie live music, or for a younger people who want a quality hotel away from the crowds.

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for staying with us and leaving your opinion about your holiday with us.
When planning to visit us next time, we will be more carefully about the bed you have in the room, if needed we will try to change it for you, it is very important that you sleep well and comfortable. Please accept our apologies for the attitude taken at our restaurant, i'm sure our collegue didn't want to offend you. I hope you had a nice and safe flight home.
King regards from the lti Pestana Grand and we hope to see you soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

Stayed at the Pestana Grand Hotel for 10 nights mid-late August and wish we could have stayed longer! We had a sea view room which is definitely worth the extra money as you get spectacular views of the ocean and Funchal (worth waking up earlier to see the sunrise over the town from your balcony). However the non-sea view rooms do not have a 'rowdy' location, they face a banana plantation out back. Although the location of the hotel is quite out of town this does bring its benefits. There is a shuttle bus from the hotel and taxis are relatively cheap. Plus we found the nice long walks welcome after eating so much! As it is set back from the main road as well it is so peaceful. I fear that noise could be a problem with other hotels in the town as most of them are set along the main road.
We found the room itself to be very clean (the cleaners did a wonderful job every day and asked us if everything was okay and if we needed anything else to be done), the bathroom was very modern and we were pleasantly surprised to have a small kitchenette which was handy for snacks and keeping water in the fridge.
We went bed and breakfast and I would definitely recommend this as there's so many restaurants nearby, especially on the promenade (we found here a lovely restaurant under the Tivoli hotel called the 'Brasserie' where they served the most amazing steak!). Breakfast itself had plenty of choice and I never felt the need to have lunch as I was so full up from it. All sorts of choice including the usual fry up, breads, pancakes, hams, cheeses, fruit, cereal etc.
We always found staff to be exceptionally friendly. Those at breakfast were always helpful although breakfast on a sunday seems to be a lot busier for some reason and they did seem rather understaffed that day, however they kept a smiling nonetheless! The first night we had a slight problem with the ventilation system in the room that was making quite a bit of noise so reception sent the maintenance man up right away and he fixed the problem. Reception staff were extremely helpful in booking us excursions as well. I must recommend a catamaran trip to see the whales and dolphins, we went with 'Sea the best' however there are many companies and they all seem to do the same thing. The pirate ship looked rather good! We also took the ferry to Porto Santo and although it's a very early start, it's most definitely worth it. The beach is beautiful, I'd even say I preferred it to those I visited when I was in Barbados. It's very much a holiday destination for the people of Madeira and Portugal but we had a lovely day there nonetheless and the beach has all the facilities that you need as well as water sports.
For children there is a separate pool, outdoor play area, giant chess board, ping pong table, football table and a snooker table. Additionally the pool area was lovely and tropical, however the pool was often rather chilly although this was refreshing during the heat! There seemed to be a sudden rupture of everyone 'reserving' sunbeds with their towels during our visit as well, but staff began to crack down on this by taking them off if there was no one there for a while.
So overall we had a magical stay and would definitely recommend Madeira and this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
FrontOfficeGrand, Guest Relations Manager at Lti Pestana Grand, responded to this review, September 8, 2010
Dear Sir/Madam,
Even awared of the good facilities we have and the services we offer in our hotel, it's with great satisfaction that i read such a enthusiastic review like yours. Thank you for all the comments and compliments you made to our facilities and staff specially. Regarding the sunbeds being reserved, it is a "problem" that we struggle every summer and still with information of it, it is a quite complicated theme for us. I am pleased to know you had a magical stay with us, we will be waiting for your next visit.
Take care and best regards from all.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

Went there for a week on timeshare with my hubby. The room was good.. awesome view of the sea.. lovely weather. The hotel suite was good. Far from the city but has free bus transport to funchal.
Cleanliness of the room was poor and lacked attention. The taps and showers looked as if they hadn't been cleaned in years. I dropped a printout on the floor and it had dirt and dust all around when picked up. Real poor on cleanliness in my marks.
The games room had some stuff but generally boring. Only thing you can really do is enjoy the swimming pool or the other pools nearby.
The restaurants on site are very costly and you can eat out for 1/2 the price. The breakfast buffet is good and the staff there are good.

The guys at the reception are rude. On our last night at the hotel, hot water stopped in the bath. I complained at the reception. I asked how long it would take. The guy almost yelled saying even the maintenance guys or he didn't know. So much for being a 5 star.

I rate this hotel as average. Good features, arrogant reception staff and bad room cleaning. For sure I won't return to this hotel.

Madeira is warm and lovely though :)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear guest, i am devastated with your review. Please accept our sincere appologies for what happened during your stay, speccialy on the night before you depart. We managed to speak with our staff regarding this situation and we do think that might have been some misunderstanding between both parts, most or all of the comments we receive from reception staff are very good. On your next visit to us, please contact me on this email guestrelations.pgm@pestana.com, i will do my best so you can have a perfect holiday, that's what we wish to all our guests. I hope everything went well on your return back home and we hope to receive you again in the lti Pestana Grand Hotel.
Best Regards
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

Just back from a week in Pestana Grand. Really comfortable hotel with fabulous views of the sea - worth having a sea view room on a high floor. If you get up early enough to see the sun rise, it's worth it, just gorgeous (sunsets are spectacular too!)
The pool area is really pretty with colourful gardens & palm trees surrounding them overlooking the ocean. It's worth going with just bed & breakfast option as there are plenty of restaurants nearby for lunch & dinner - would recommend the Real Canoa Restaurant across the road, the owner Bruno is a hoot & food is great : ) However we did have lunch a couple of the days at the hotel as we were too lazy to walk up the road - lunch was very nice in the hotel and they do a fab salad buffet option too for €9.50 which includes desserts also.
Our only quibble is that, even though the food selection is very good for breakfast, the service was a bit slow getting tables cleaned and set up again but all the staff were very friendly. The spa is very good too and got a couple of lovely massages by Esmeralda who was very pleasant. The location is perfect to have great views of the sea but a bit out of the way of Funchal town centre - but cabs are not that expensive and there are regular buses into the centre. We did walk it a few times but it's a good 45 min walk or about 10/15 mins in cab tops.
We would love to visit Madeira again as it was our first time and would highly recommend this hotel.
Another tip - we had afternoon tea in the beautiful & stunning Reid's Palace Hotel which you can book in advance - you dine out on a gorgeous balcony overlooking the bay eating sandwiches, cakes and scones along with whatever tea choice you like - 28 euro per person but totally worth it! : )

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your impressions at trip advisor. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and you had the opportunity to watch the marvellous sunrise and sunset from our balconies, it really is in a privelege location! We hope you had a nice trip back home and we hope to see you again with us. With our sincere regards