We stayed at this Hotel for a week in December. Found the Hotel very good, room was large and well equipped. Lovely spacious bathroom with toiletries, however, surprised at a 5 Star Hotel still having shower curtains, a pet hate as they are old fashioned and unhygienic.
One point to remember, the coffee and tea making facilities are only free until used up then there is a charge of 6 euro for 10 tea bags, two coffee packs and 4 milk pods. There is water which is also charged for immediately, at 3.65 euro. So a tip is walk across the road to the the Spar shop to buy tea, coffee etc., and also the same bottle of water for 65 euro.
We were on the 16th Floor and had a mountain view. The sea view is 35 Euros per day extra and given the choice we would opt for the mountain view, much nicer and more interesting.
Breakfast was extensive and very good. Try the little hot custard tarts they are yummy. Staff were warm and friendly
There are shops and a hairdressers. In fact, it's the first time I have seen a bank of old fashioned hairdriers (for shampoo and sets, perms etc.,) for many years. However, this reflects the general age of the clientele which was over 70 years old. There are time share apartments which some people have been coming to for over 25 years.
We booked a back massage and a facial in the Beauty Salon and turned up at the appointed time. My husband was taken for the massage and I was told as there was only one therapist and I would have to return in an hour. I cancelled my appointment and was very annoyed that we where not initially told there was only one therapist for all the treatments. I was offered a 20 Euro discount if I returned, but I did not.
Beware of an invite to talk about a kind of time share for which you will be offered in return for 90 minutes of your time free tickets for the Casino. This offer involves a whole morning talk and a tour of the new Pestana Hotel. The bottom line is you paying a one off payment of around £5,800, which is taken immediately and then paying for the apartments at a reduced daily rate when you book your holiday. There are people on the staff that are only employed to do these twice daily presentations. We, of course, declined the offer.
Overall, I would recommend this Hotel, but keep in mind that Madeira is a resort for older people. If, like us you like a mix of ages you will be disappointed.
- Also Known As:
- Pestana Carlton Madeira Funchal
- Pestana Carlton Madeira Hotel
- Carlton Hotel Madeira
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This hotel was totally refurbished in 2008. Enjoying a prime sea-front location, Pestana Carlton Madeira is one of Funchal's best established hotels offering direct access to the sea and 5 minutes walking distance from the center. The hotel offers 4 swimming pools,2 out-door, 1 for children and 1 indoor, sauna, jacuzzi, gymnasium, scuba diving, minigolf, tennis court, games room, playground, 3 bars, 3 restaurants. All rooms feature air-conditioning, safe, coffee & tea facilities, minibar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Pestana Carlton Madeira reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.