“Excellent in every way” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Porto Mare Hotel (Porto Bay)

You added Porto Mare Hotel (Porto Bay) to your Saves list
Porto Mare Hotel (Porto Bay)
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rua Simplicio Passos Gouveia, 21, Funchal, Madeira 9004-532, Portugal   |
Offers & Announcements
5% discount
Ranked #9 of 89 Hotels in Funchal
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Excellent in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for 7 nights. We booked a junior suite as they looked lovely on the brochure. They were not lovely, they were superb. Very roomy and fabulous decorations. The hotel is a fantastic place and we will definitely be going again. A very big thank you to harmonica?? The duo that sang most nights in one of the bars. On our last night, we had a fantastic sing along with them and they even sang all our favourite songs for us. The area itself is very hilly so not perfect for the elderly or for families with very young children. But it is worth the effort because the area is a beautiful place to be.

Room Tip: Definitely book a junior suite. Well worth the money.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
antoniopais, General Manager at Porto Mare Hotel (Porto Bay), responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the ”Excellent in every way” review shared on tripadvisor about your recent stay with us

We are most pleased to know that you have enjoyed it. I will be also pleased to share your thoughts with our entertainment team.

See you soon, hopefully,

ANTONIO PAIS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Finnish first
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Just returned from a repeat visit to this hotel, and again found it "heavenly". Not sure what "fouadd123" found to complain about the breakfast!. Alright it is the same every day - BUT WHAT A CHOICE. Everything from Bucks Fizz to start, through fresh fruit, yoghurts, pancakes, cold meats and cheeses, cooked breakfast, specially prepared pancakes, eggs etc, huge variety of breads and cakes and muffins. Not sure what else they expect? Anyhow, we love the place. The staff are so friendly and they upgraded our room and provided bottled water and fruit because we were returning visitors. Everywhere is immaculate and the garden to die for, including a herb garden and orchid garden. We are in our sixties but particularly enjoy walking and there is such a choice there, with fantastic scenery and everywhere so clean and green. We like to eat out and book bed and breakfast, but also take the option of three dinners at the hotel at the discounted rate, because the food really is superb. Also there is a very good duo to listen and dance to afterwards. For us it is the perfect holiday, a beautiful island and a fabulous hotel. Not recommended for people with young children, but that is one reason we like it! All part of the Blandy family and they really do work hard to retain their excellent reputation. We will be back!

Room Tip: We like the garden view rooms, which are exquisite, but some people may prefer the higher rooms with...
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review with thoughts about your recent holiday experience at Porto Mare hotel.
In fact our breakfast choice is the same every day, but as you mention there is such a great variety of items that we think it is possible to have different breakfast every single day even when you are staying a bit longer.

Really happy to know that overall you had a very positive holiday experience and we hope to welcome you again in a near future.

Benfleet, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Four of us went to the Porto Mare, this is not my first time to Funchal, last year stayed at one of the Quintas. The hotel very large and for me didn't get the personal service that you get in a smaller 5 star hotel.This is the sister hotel I understand. Wanted to stay at Cliff Bay but our friends budget wouldn't stretch to that so we compromised. We booked one garden double and one superior sea view double room, we paid the extra money for the sea view and bigger room, they gave us our keys and the rooms were both together! So straight away I knew there was a problem, I looked at the room it was probably one of the worst rooms in the hotel, it was superior size but stuck in a corner at an angle with only a metal railing to look at. I went back to reception and was told it was superior , but I explained we wanted a seaview (bad start) they gave us the only seaview room left and although we could see the sea, it wasn't what I expected, beds very comfortable and pillows very fluffy! The spa was very good, I had a good massage, and the pool and grounds beautiful. Downfall was, that staff couldn't seem to cope with number of guests, we waited more than half and hour at the pool bar for lunch one day and had to ask several times to give our order. Also didn't always get good service in the morning with tea and water, the rest we had to serve our self as it was a buffet, so the waiters didn't have to do much, one morning we came across a waiter who just didn't bother to ask and seem to be slamming about, annoyed at something we waited a long time to be served and had to complain. Overall the hotel seemed to be short staffed, although food choices very good at breakfast. One thing that did annoy us was that the maid kept taking the card out of the electric slot and I have camera batteries and an ipod that I needed to charge, I had no charge on my ipod when I got on the plane and annoyingly ran out of charge in my camera too which wasn't helpful. Overall hotel good but far too big for my taste and definitely need to get more staff to cover amount of guests.

Room Tip: tip read up about the rooms before you go, garden view, seaview, superior and junior suites availabl...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

First off all our apologies for what it seems to be a poor holiday experience in our hotel.
Secondly our thanks for staying at Porto Mare and also for your feedback.
I truly understand your points of view and have taken good notes of the points mentioned to be discussed among my team.

We hope to welcome you in any of the Porto Bay properties.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This was by any standard a five star hotel. We had a superior room with a sea view which meant a separate lounge area with TV, kitchen area and toilet along with a separate bedroom with a second TV and en-suite facilities. The hotel staff were very attentive and could not do enough to make sure you enjoyed your holiday.

There are five different pools to enjoy a dip in and there are plenty of restaurants. We did not eat in the hotel every night but the quality of the food when we did eat in the hotel was first rate. We ate in the Atlantico restaurant which has theme nights with a different theme every night.
Although the hotel is on the west side of Funchal it is still only a thirty minute walk to the famous cable car. If you don't want to walk then the hotel runs a courtesy bus throughout the day. Unfortunately the last bus from Funchal back to the hotel is at 17:15 so if you want to go into Funchal for a night out you either walk or take a taxi. There are plenty of taxis waiting outside the hotel so you will never have to wait. We did not use any of the taxis so we do not know whether they are expensive or not.

Room Tip: Ask for a superior room with a sea view and you will not be disapointed
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Porto Mare hotel and for sharing your thoughts about it on tripadvisor.

Happy to learn that overall you took a positive impression of our resort.

See you soon,

Widnes Cheshire England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Just had to return to the Porto Mare hotel. This time I paid for a standard sea view room and once again I was most impressed with the size and quality of the room. On the third floor, my room had a lovely view of the gardens, with the sea to my right. It was nice to sit with a drink and watch and listen to the live music from the bar below. As it was a second visit, I got a drinks voucher and a free room safe. The breakfast was plentiful and it was very pleasant to sit outside in the early morning sun. The outdoor pool was much warmer than I thought it would be in April and there was a good choice of sun beds available to relax and enjoy the lovely April weather. Entertainment was low key but it was good to walk out and eat in one of the many eateries nearby. The Hole In One pub was the liveliest place to be, a good atmosphere and excellent service. Walked into Funchal old town a few times but was fairly quiet mid week. A great holiday in lovely Madeira in what must be one of the best hotels on the island.

Room Tip: Request a sea view and you can't go wrong
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Just a short note to thank you for the review shared on tripadvisor about your recent holiday at Porto Mare.

Happy to learn that overall you took a positive impression of our resort.

See you soon,

Spalding, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We booked with Thomson for our Ruby Wedding Anniversary and were not disappointed! Start to finish - GREAT! We had b&b and bought a 5 evening dinner option (buffet) in the Atlantica restaurant for 23 euro per night, payable to hotel direct. A safe was used in the room, 10 euro (+ 20 deposit, refundadable). We had a seaview room which was quite big, a good view and absolutely spotless. The 2 lifts were quick and usually arrived in 10 or 15 seconds. The hotel and gardens are maintained and cleaned to a very high standard.
One annoyance is the pigeons that are often scrounging near the outside tables both at the restaurant and bar areas. Sometimes people shoo them away, others feed them! You can't blame the pigeons, but it is not hygienic in my opinion.
We also made use of the courtesy coach (40+ seater luxury) to and from the main resort. This operates several convenient times a day.
Our's being a seaview room, at the rear, it was very peaceful at night (and day). The buffet breakfast was of good quality with a good variety, from cereal, breads/rolls/cakes, cold meat/cheese, fresh and juiced fruit and the English breakfast selection, which I had every day.
Evening meal (23 euro option each as described) was again buffet and also had a great selection. This was also in the Atlantica restaurant. Although a meat lover, I usually had the wonderful fish. Grilled Tuna, Salmon and Perch. Starters usually had a cold fish, prawns, pasta mix etc. We paid for Rose wine @ 13 to 16 euro a full bottle, although a red or white house caraffe was also seen served. Eating outside was a popular option, breakfast and evening, but during our stay was slightly on the cool side.
If you turn right along the front after exiting reception of the hotel complex (it is 3 joined together) you come to a side road downwards towards sea. Follow this about 100 yards, there is a car park entrance on the right which services a well stocked and good priced supermarket, "Pingo Doce". Most locals and tourists used it and it was often quite busy. Wine is a good price and advantage can be taken of the 'fridge in the room to store it.

Please excuse the non-hotel comments below, but it is in Funchal and was part of our stay.
I may see if I can put another detailed review on TA about the Electricity Museum located in Funchal near the cable car station/general market. At 2.70 euro admission, I think it is excellent value - but only provided you are into electrical engineering/power stations and the Madeira history (since 1897) of such matters. There seems little on the internet about this though, which I feel is a shame for such a professional approach to this subject by the museum. Hence my trying to publicise it here. If only 1% of people visit it, then I think my mentioning it will be worthwhile. It would be a shame to see it possibly close through lack of support.

To sum up. Having originally been persuaded to stay at the PORTO MARE by other TA reviews, we would definitely wish to stay at this hotel next time in Madeira as we feel it cannot be bettered for the price. Not cheap, but we reckon excellent all round for what we paid.
Madeira is a fantastic island. Very clean and tidy. Considerate drivers and plenty of zebra crossings. The bus service was not used by us, it does seem a bit confusing with different operators, requiring a good head to work out travel arrangements.
However, we did book a couple of mini bus trips with "Happy Tours" just along from our hotel, main road towards Funchal. A half day Valley of Nuns, 12 (11 maybe ??)euro each and a full day North and West tour at 20 euros each. I will soon be leaving TA feedback about this company as well. It came well recommended by other TA reviewers and we definitely agree with their opinions.
All this typing, I will need another holiday!
Robin (G3XDA) and Janet

Room Tip: Sea view are rear and/or inward towards garden/sea facing. So, centre rooms south facing, side rooms...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a comprehensive and positive review about your recent holiday experience in Madeira and Porto Mare hotel in particular.

We are very pleased to know that you had a positive stay and really hope to see you around soon,

Manchester, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This is the fifth time I have stayed at the Porto Mare and Eden Mar complex. The gardens and the hotel itself remain beautiful as always. with helpful friendly staff it is a large complex with sufficient space to find a corner of your own. Two slight cirticisms this time, the orange juice at breakfast was more like orange squash which I couldn't drink and there is a taxi rank under the hotel with some persitent horn blowing from the taxi drivers which rather spoilt the peace and quite.

Overall I would highly rate this hotel and will no doubt return next year.

Room Tip: The higher you go the better the view but all rooms are spotless and very spacious
Dear Guest,

Thank you the feedback about your stay. We have taken good note of your thoughts.
Thank you also for another stay with us and I am sure it will be a pleasure for all of us to see you around soon.

ANTONIO PAIS

Been to Porto Mare Hotel (Porto Bay)? Share your experiences!