“beautiful htoel, very good restaurant, nice view” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Quinta Das Vistas Palace Gardens

Save Saved
You added Quinta Das Vistas Palace Gardens to your Saves list
Quinta Das Vistas Palace Gardens
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Caminho de Santo Antonio 52, Funchal, Madeira 9000187, Portugal   |
Ranked #34 of 91 hotels in Funchal
Paris, France
“beautiful htoel, very good restaurant, nice view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

a very beautiful hotel, architecture, gardens, swmimming pool
very clean
nice location, but a car is a good help
High level restaurant, very nice terrass, excquisite food, very diverse and not too fat
Just one point to better : touristic information and hlepfullness : not the level of a 5 stars hotel

Room Tip: ask for a panaroma room, a little expensive but very nice and impressive
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

198 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

My wife and myself just came back from a week at Quinta Das Vistas Palace Gardens.
We went with Sovereign, paid a bit more than usual for a weeks holiday but well worth it. We were picked up at Funchal airport by a by a young female driver in a Black Mercedes Limo who gave us a leisurely drive to our hotel situated on a hill overlooking Funchal town.
From the very start the staff were very respectful, friendly and always helpful, always asking f we were OK and anything they could do for us.
Our room was on the same floor as reception and the restaurant. we overlooked the gardens and the swan pond.
Our room was reasonably large compared with some others we have had around Europe and the UK. Two three foot wide beds side by side, which was not a problem for us as I suffer from various forms of arthritis and move about a lot in the night and this meant I didn't disturb my wife who likes her sleep. The bathroom had a shower over the bath which was ok as in most hotels we have been in lately only had a shower. And the shower worked really well and hot water all the time. Again a plus, most hotels we have been to abroad seem to run out of hot water as everyone seems to shower at about the same time. The room was very clean with a small fridge which had drinks in it but were a bit expensive, so we bought some water & orange juice and used that.
We usually have self catering rooms only because we like to eat out but have breakfast when we want. But here we had bed and breakfast. I really can't understand any negative feedback about this. They had about everything you could think of egg, bacon etc, several types of cheese, ham, a table of cereals, museli, porridge, cut fruit or whole fruit, toast. Several types of bread and rolls, cakes, croissants, for types of jam. Plus an extra list of scrambled eggs, fried eggs, poached eggs, omelettes. There was no need of complaint but some other Europeans did over silly things like the eggs had run out and they had to wait three or four minutes.
The pool area had plenty of sun beds around the internal and external pools on the terrace where the towels were provided. All with a view over the town and the sea. The toilets and showers were clean and well staffed.
There was plenty of lounge area which stretched from the terrace to the front reception.
The hotel provided a mini bus to & from town at various times during the day which you had to book for in advance up to 30 minutes before it arrived.
All the properties in Madeira are built on the hills and this hotel is no exception so not much flat space.
We split between using the mini bus or a cab to get into town. Cab about 6 euros, but due to the terrain, distance & dangerous roads you wouldn't want to walk into town unless you were very fit.
One of the best holidays I have had and the hotel made it.
Not really for kids as there is nothing for them apart from the pool and I did see a crazy golf course but never saw anyone using it.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view but does not mean you will get it. Learnt this from other holidays you can as but...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Davos, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Spending 7 nights at this hotel. First impression was nice. The staff was friendly. Breakfast was ok, nothing special, just ok.

The terrace of the restaurant is beautiful, amazing view. The room was really large but only because we had a handicapped accessible room, for whatever reason! We are not handicapped. But so, the room had a perfect size, especially the bath was quite spacious. The room with garden view is not to recommend, the sea view is probably more exciting, the garden looks very neglected, we also noticed as we played some mini golf.

The hotel pool is very small, there is an outdoor and an indoor pool as well, but neither is adequate for swimming only to plash and refresh. Very sad. Such a large hotel but the pool is tiny.

The sunbeds are terrible uncomfortable and in a very bad condition, so are the small and cheap looking parasols as well. The hotel is located on a hill above Funchal. So it's quite windy sometimes. The parasols where knocked over all the time. Very annoying and dangerous!

We were informed, that the hotel has wi-fi in the rooms and in the lounge. There is NO WI-FI in the room! To get our information like planning a trip, we had to spend some time in the lounge, with some other guests, there was someone all the time, so I assume, there is no room with wi-fi.

To get to Funchal, you need to take a taxi or if you lucky, you catch the hotel bus, running 3 times a day between Funchal and hotel. But this bus is driving you 3 times to different places in Funchal. Only one time to Funchal center, the other two times to some other places, also hotels which belongs to the same hotel chain. This make no sense to me at all.

If you want to walk up and down (it takes about 20 minutes), there is no pavements, steep and sinuous roads, it is really dangerous!

To make a long story short: This hotel is not worth 5 stars at all!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We had a sea view room and expected an amazing sea view but as our room was at the rear of the hotel all I saw was roof tops and mountain with a sideways glimpse of the sea so that was disappointing and not worth the extra money
.The rooms are quite tired and the bathrooms quite old fashioned. Ours really needed updating. And the room housekeeping was a very poor standard ie bathrooms not well cleaned, carpets dirty, glass and cup marks remained on bedside table tops for a week

However the reception and restaurant staff, food and pool area are all fabulous. Nothing is too much trouble for the hotel staff. The guest relations lady recommended excellent restaurants and all of them collected and dropped us back to the hotel. The standard of hotel food, wine and service were also excellent.
The spa was nice but has a limited range of treatment and appointment availability. This a very adult focused smallish hotel, which we love, so when babies, children and teenagers did arrive it disrupted the atmosphere as they were bored and tended to take over the pool area

The location is out of the centre of town but the hotel offers a very efficient courtesy bus service and taxis are around 6-7 Euros to/from the old town.

We did eat in the old town which is very picturesque but the food is really poor quality - over priced and aimed at tourists
We had a really relaxing time at the hotel but we would class the rooms are 3* and the public areas 4*. We don't think it warrants a 5* rating in our experience and we are frequent and experienced travellers

Room Tip: If you are paying extra for a sea view, ask for a room facing the sea or as close to the front of th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed in a garden view room for 5 nights last week. I'm really struggling to understand the few recent average reviews? I thought the hotel was fantastic and excellent value for money!

The breakfast was very tasty, lots of fresh fruit, interesting breads and cheeses, scrambled and poached eggs were both good. Plus, the view from the breakfast outdoor seating is sublime. Staff had coffee on the table within moments of sitting down, and were friendly and chatty. A fantastic start to each morning.

The pool is split into 3 pools over a couple of levels. I found it a very relaxing place to soak up the sun. Again, I thought the food was very good. I even tried the steak sandwich. Good bread, tomatoes, lettuce, tender steak, cheese and yes, a thin slice of ham. Someone brings it to you while you lounge around pool side, for 10 euros. I liked it so much I had it again a day later!

I found the bed very firm, which I don't really like. But I can overlook this. The free hotel wifi did not work in my room. But worked well in the lobby, I was happy to sit there when I needed to send some emails and make calls.

There are two ways to walk down the hill to town. The reception staff explained how to walk safely before we set out. You have to leave the hotel and go right, then walk down the hill. This way has a footpath right down to the marina. It is not a pretty walk, but it is safe. Easy down hill, about 18-20 minutes to town? Uphill is another story! 25-30 minutes by the time you walk up hill. And you'll want a shower at the end. But saying that, a steak sandwich by the pool is a fitting reward for the walk to the top!

I hope i get the opportunity to return next year.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Wales UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Its a quite expensive 5* hotel, so I have reviwed it as such , its 3.5* really but certain issues made me give it 3*

The good points-the staff were uniformly excellent, the view from my Panaramic sea facing room sublime.The room decor was not 5* and the pillows were the worse I have ever encountered!, shower above a bath was ok but water did run at fluctuating temps and shower curtain only had 1cm of clearance into bath so frequent wet floors

Internet access was variable in my room and non existent on patio-this is a disgrace ,free wi-fi abounded in Funchal town and I could get a great signal in the middle of squares ...why not in my hotel?? I WANT wi-fi , I NEED wi- fi and I EXPECT a great connection in a hotel at all times, I didn't get it and its inexcusable in these times.

I sincerely regret booking a meal in the restaurant, I did not look at menu before going down , I knew it was the 'executive' chefs menu but it had no choice and very expensive at 45€ , price would have been ok , if the food wasn't so pompous, overpriced and lacking in substance and flavour, I thought nouvelle cuisine had died a death??

Amouse bouche should not feature on a menu , its a suprise extra offering ,it was 1st course and ok ,breads excellent. 2nd course was fresh catch of day with risotto, I was hoping for tuna we got 2tiny pieces of white fish , local scabbard I believe-ok, then mango sorbet,the meat dish was slow cookedvealcheek, a very cheap cut , with potato foam !!!!! Flavoured with truffle , ridiculous , I HATE poncy foams , I didn't detect too much truffle flavour and it cried out for a proper spud or mash ,the small piece of cheek was ok but not flavoursome , I eat a lot of pork cheek at home and love it . 4 deserts arrived!, so from sublimely small portions to a ridiculously large finish -not well balanced , a scandalously priced €4.50 bottle of water and a glass of very average house red cost me €60, service was very good....but.give it a miss

I knew its location but decided to use thecourtesybusinto town -excellent, and a taxi back-average cost 5-6€, best of luck if you want to walk up and down ( I walk 3-4 miles a day with the dog at home so am used to long walks) no pavements , steep roads , its dangerous.

Hotel environs , pool area and bar service good, although if you fancy a drink at meal times be prepared to wait....shocking!!!! , the bar should be man'd full time, not ad-hoc.

For poor wi-fi, terrible pillows and that shocking expensive potato foam it gets 3*

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Warwickshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights out of 7 - it is OK and that is all. I don't know where all the amazing reviews are coming from because this hotel is not that good and certainly isn't what I would describe as a 5 star. We had a small suite which was alright but certainly nothing special - a previous comment to the effect that the balcony wood needs some TLC is spot on. Although the room was clean there were plaster cracks all over the place and not much storage space. The shower was tiny and had a very weak flow of water. The reception staff are truly excellent but elsewhere the staff leave something to be desired - particularly the pool staff (when they are actually there) and the rather surly lady who looked after the spa. The spa is a let-down...no Turkish bath (broken) and limited availablility for treatments. The 'infinity' pool itself is very good and leads out onto an area where the views of Fuchal are spectacular - I'd be surprised if any other hotel in Funchal could beat it. But the poolside food was really bland & tasteless. The worst experience of food at the hotel was room service who couldn't get our food right at all. A cheese & walnut salad arrived minus the cheese & walnuts and when sent back the replacement arrived with a smattering of walnuts along with mozarella cheese covered in a strawberry sauce...bizarre! The 'steak' sandwich I ordered arrived with a very small piece of steak but was bulked out with the addition of ham and melted cheese. Breakfast was OK but nothing special. Once again the restaurant has amazing views but he food can't live up to them.Although eggs can be ordered I gave up after the third day - you can have eggs as long as whatever way you want them involves cooking them to oblivion e.g. I asked for fried eggs and got something you could happily bounce off a concrete floor from the edge of space...bacon was truly awful. You can see that this hotel could be really good and maybe it has been in the past but it looks to me as if it is a place with slipping standards and it is NOT five star.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Quinta Das Vistas Palace Gardens? Share your experiences!