“Very relaxing holiday, hopefully I return next year” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Quinta Das Vistas Palace Gardens

You added Quinta Das Vistas Palace Gardens to your Saves list
Quinta Das Vistas Palace Gardens
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Caminho de Santo Antonio 52, Funchal, Madeira 9000187, Portugal   |
Ranked #46 of 89 Hotels in Funchal
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, England
“Very relaxing holiday, hopefully I return next year”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed in a garden view room for 5 nights last week. I'm really struggling to understand the few recent average reviews? I thought the hotel was fantastic and excellent value for money!

The breakfast was very tasty, lots of fresh fruit, interesting breads and cheeses, scrambled and poached eggs were both good. Plus, the view from the breakfast outdoor seating is sublime. Staff had coffee on the table within moments of sitting down, and were friendly and chatty. A fantastic start to each morning.

The pool is split into 3 pools over a couple of levels. I found it a very relaxing place to soak up the sun. Again, I thought the food was very good. I even tried the steak sandwich. Good bread, tomatoes, lettuce, tender steak, cheese and yes, a thin slice of ham. Someone brings it to you while you lounge around pool side, for 10 euros. I liked it so much I had it again a day later!

I found the bed very firm, which I don't really like. But I can overlook this. The free hotel wifi did not work in my room. But worked well in the lobby, I was happy to sit there when I needed to send some emails and make calls.

There are two ways to walk down the hill to town. The reception staff explained how to walk safely before we set out. You have to leave the hotel and go right, then walk down the hill. This way has a footpath right down to the marina. It is not a pretty walk, but it is safe. Easy down hill, about 18-20 minutes to town? Uphill is another story! 25-30 minutes by the time you walk up hill. And you'll want a shower at the end. But saying that, a steak sandwich by the pool is a fitting reward for the walk to the top!

I hope i get the opportunity to return next year.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Polish first
Wales UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Its a quite expensive 5* hotel, so I have reviwed it as such , its 3.5* really but certain issues made me give it 3*

The good points-the staff were uniformly excellent, the view from my Panaramic sea facing room sublime.The room decor was not 5* and the pillows were the worse I have ever encountered!, shower above a bath was ok but water did run at fluctuating temps and shower curtain only had 1cm of clearance into bath so frequent wet floors

Internet access was variable in my room and non existent on patio-this is a disgrace ,free wi-fi abounded in Funchal town and I could get a great signal in the middle of squares ...why not in my hotel?? I WANT wi-fi , I NEED wi- fi and I EXPECT a great connection in a hotel at all times, I didn't get it and its inexcusable in these times.

I sincerely regret booking a meal in the restaurant, I did not look at menu before going down , I knew it was the 'executive' chefs menu but it had no choice and very expensive at 45€ , price would have been ok , if the food wasn't so pompous, overpriced and lacking in substance and flavour, I thought nouvelle cuisine had died a death??

Amouse bouche should not feature on a menu , its a suprise extra offering ,it was 1st course and ok ,breads excellent. 2nd course was fresh catch of day with risotto, I was hoping for tuna we got 2tiny pieces of white fish , local scabbard I believe-ok, then mango sorbet,the meat dish was slow cookedvealcheek, a very cheap cut , with potato foam !!!!! Flavoured with truffle , ridiculous , I HATE poncy foams , I didn't detect too much truffle flavour and it cried out for a proper spud or mash ,the small piece of cheek was ok but not flavoursome , I eat a lot of pork cheek at home and love it . 4 deserts arrived!, so from sublimely small portions to a ridiculously large finish -not well balanced , a scandalously priced €4.50 bottle of water and a glass of very average house red cost me €60, service was very good....but.give it a miss

I knew its location but decided to use thecourtesybusinto town -excellent, and a taxi back-average cost 5-6€, best of luck if you want to walk up and down ( I walk 3-4 miles a day with the dog at home so am used to long walks) no pavements , steep roads , its dangerous.

Hotel environs , pool area and bar service good, although if you fancy a drink at meal times be prepared to wait....shocking!!!! , the bar should be man'd full time, not ad-hoc.

For poor wi-fi, terrible pillows and that shocking expensive potato foam it gets 3*

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Warwickshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights out of 7 - it is OK and that is all. I don't know where all the amazing reviews are coming from because this hotel is not that good and certainly isn't what I would describe as a 5 star. We had a small suite which was alright but certainly nothing special - a previous comment to the effect that the balcony wood needs some TLC is spot on. Although the room was clean there were plaster cracks all over the place and not much storage space. The shower was tiny and had a very weak flow of water. The reception staff are truly excellent but elsewhere the staff leave something to be desired - particularly the pool staff (when they are actually there) and the rather surly lady who looked after the spa. The spa is a let-down...no Turkish bath (broken) and limited availablility for treatments. The 'infinity' pool itself is very good and leads out onto an area where the views of Fuchal are spectacular - I'd be surprised if any other hotel in Funchal could beat it. But the poolside food was really bland & tasteless. The worst experience of food at the hotel was room service who couldn't get our food right at all. A cheese & walnut salad arrived minus the cheese & walnuts and when sent back the replacement arrived with a smattering of walnuts along with mozarella cheese covered in a strawberry sauce...bizarre! The 'steak' sandwich I ordered arrived with a very small piece of steak but was bulked out with the addition of ham and melted cheese. Breakfast was OK but nothing special. Once again the restaurant has amazing views but he food can't live up to them.Although eggs can be ordered I gave up after the third day - you can have eggs as long as whatever way you want them involves cooking them to oblivion e.g. I asked for fried eggs and got something you could happily bounce off a concrete floor from the edge of space...bacon was truly awful. You can see that this hotel could be really good and maybe it has been in the past but it looks to me as if it is a place with slipping standards and it is NOT five star.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Somerset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed here two nights out of seven in Madeira. Wish we stayed longer. Everything about the hotel is extremely good. On arrival the check-in staff were most pleasant and helpful. They had all our luggage taken to the room. The room were spotless and the sheets and towels fresh and clean. Our room had a balcony with a unbroken view of the town and sea.
We booked in half board , I would not hesitate to recommend Michilin star standard to the restaurant. On the second night we had a degustation menu and it was out of this world !
I could not complement the staff more . Careful attention was paid to service as the wine waiter was always there to top the glass up !
The pool , extremely clean and at the right temp., the Health spa was up to a remarkable standard.
Would not hesitate to recommend this hotel as we will definitely be staying here again if we were in Funchal.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Stavanger, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We had a really excellent stay. Nice hotel, view, staff and not the least the kitchen. Only "downside" we had was having to wait in the bar a little too long as the staff was busy serving in the restaurant.

Room Tip: We had a room facing thelittle pond. Nice and quiet. Did not miss the view. Be aware of some noice f...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Derbyshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Wonderful staff, attentive but not intrusive, friendly, polite and helpful. Truly the best I have ever encountered.
The hotel itself exudes an air of faded grandeur....with chipped paint in our room and corridor, frayed carpet (which was also stained in several places in the corridor and public rooms) and curtain lining coming adrift. The bathroom and bath was a bit on the small side, and the wardrobe space was really quite inadequate for two persons. And why only one small piece of soap to last all week? The varnish on the balcony rail had completely faded leaving an uncomfortably scratchy surface. A small invasion of tiny ants in our room was quickly and efficiently sorted. All these problems are minor in themselves but they do rather add up and are not what you expect in a five star hotel.
The public rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable, with free Wifi. The bar staff were helpful and polite but often not there, as expected to double as waiters in the restaurant. Food could be ordered in the bar or in your room from a varied menu and was very good. But the restaurant itself excelled in gastronomic delights......truly enjoyable. Compliments to the chef. Recommended. Breakfast was a buffet with waiter service and hot food to order. It was excellent and a real delight taken on the terrace with beautiful views of Funchal and the sea.
My partner had a birthday while we were there and was treated to a delicious chocolate cake delivered to the room. Entertainment was sadly lacking however....the piano we were told is only played once a month....and a Fado singer performed in the restaurant one evening, which was OK for the diners but she could not be heard at all in the public areas. We were fortunate to hear her warming up in the lounge earlier.....(one song) otherwise without paying for an expensive set menu dinner were forced to miss out.
The gardens were a mix of neglect (broken pavers etc) and attention (lovely roses and shrubs) and it was lovely to see, and smell, the fresh herbs growing there to be used to enhance our meals.
The swimming pool was delightfully warm, plenty of loungers and towels, a really warm Jacuzzi, and a bar for drinks and snacks. We did not use the spa so cannot comment.
As others have mentioned the walk into Funchal is steeply downhill but apart from a short distance without a pavement is not too difficult. The courtesy bus runs back and forth several times a day and I would recommend it. Book early as it can get full quickly....
Once again thanks to the wonderful staff at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Gothenburg, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I cannot remember staying at a lovelier hotel in Europe. The view, the terrace, the pool and the service is outstanding. There is a heated pool (30 C) indoors which runs outdoors as well. From this heated pool you get a great view of the ocean “infinity pool”. In addition, there is a separate pool outdoors (one level down) which is not heated (and too cold in April, but it does not matter since the heated pool is semi-outdoors anyway). Overall, the pool area is amazing. We went to visit Quinta Monte which we had considered before finally deciding to book Vistas, and are very pleased that we choose Vistas giving that the pool at Monte was not at all as impressive and no pool outdoors.
The breakfast was great, nothing to complain about. The dinner was however overprized and I got tortellini that I could have done better at home for 5% of the prize.. Next day I got risotto which was not nice either. I understood that the fish dish was really good and the starter I had was great. The restaurant tries to be posh, more than it is. I would not recommend the dinner given the price for the food, not worth it. Lunch by the pool bar was far nicer.
The hotel has a bus service downtown; in April 3 times every day at 09:30, 11:30 and 14:30. There is regrettably no bus service in the evening which I would appreciate, but I suspect that the hotel wants their guests to stay and eat at the hotel. Still it is nice that the hotel offers this service. We walked to the city center a couple of times but it is not recommended due to traffic and sidewalks were missing at some places. Taxi on the way back was ca 5 euro, which is reasonable.
We had a panorama view room and the view was stunning. The room was really nice and beds comfortable. We also tried the spa, which was excellent. Service in all departments was excellent.
I would love to come back to Madeira and I cannot imagine a better hotel. Next time I would like a suite :)

Room Tip: Floor 4 is top floor and best view? Panorama view will give you a great view of the town/ocean, is a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Quinta Das Vistas Palace Gardens? Share your experiences!