I did a lot of research before choosing this hotel: we wanted something more traditional, and away from the main tourist zone of the Lido. And we were delighted! The building itself is palatial, with a large lounge area filled with comfortable arm chairs and squishy sofas and free wifi access, where one could happily sit all day if the weather was as it was on our trip! All the staff were delightful, and happy to help in any way to make our stay enjoyable.
We found that our room, although classed as a standard, was luxurious: it's always lovely to have additional extras such as bath robes and slippers, and there was a balcony looking over the garden, and up the mountain to Monte. I didn't find the pillow very comfortable, but that's not a major issue! The spa area was beautiful, with plenty of indoor and outdoor seating, and the pools were heated. We love swimming, and the photos of the pools was one of the reasons I selected this hotel - although they weren't as big as I had hoped, we thoroughly enjoyed our time there. We appreciated the various seating areas in the grounds of the hotel, on the several terraces.
Breakfast was generous: plenty of cereals, fruits, salad, cheeses, ham, pate, fresh rolls, croissants, muffins...together with a selection of hot food every day - and a delicious range of egg dishes cooked to order. The dining room staff were absolutely charming, and nothing was too much trouble.
We didn't have dinner at the hotel, mainly due to the fact that we were on a rather tight budget and the restaurant there is - for us - expensive. But lots of guests ate there every night, and it sounds as if the food was wonderful! The price of drinks and bar snacks was - again, for us - rather pricey. Two coffees/teas was 6 euros, and one evening we had two drinks of madeira wine and tonic water, which was 12 euros. But it is a luxury hotel, so I suppose that is to be expected!
The location is out of the town centre, and there didn't seem to be any local bars/restaurants/grocery shops. On the first morning, we walked down - about 25 mins - which was fine, but the road is quite busy, so the walk isn't that enjoyable. There is a shuttle bus that runs at set times, and which (even though the hotel seemed to be quite quiet) gets booked up quickly. If you don't mind being constrained by a timetable, it's a good service - otherwise, there are local buses that run from nearby. We hired a car, and there is plenty of free parking at the hotel.
As we had an evening flight home, we were given a late check out which was really appreciated.
We'd definitely stay there again: for a relaxing, chilled holiday on a beautiful island, I'd recommend this hotel.
- Also Known As:
- Quinta Das Vistas Palace Gardens Hotel Funchal
- Quinta Das Vistas Palace Gardens Hotel
- Quinta Das Vistas Palace Gardens Madeira/Funchal
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Official Category: 5 Stars HotelLocation: On the brow of a hill above the capital, Funchal With panoramic views of downtown, the Atlantic Ocean and the surrounding mountains. Surrounded by 12.000 m² of mature centenary gardens 10 minutes by car or 20 minutes walk into the centre of town 25 minutes from the International Airport of MadeiraTransportation: Hotel courtesy bus service to Funchal - Marina Easily available taxis Bus stop to Funchal and other destinations to the west part of the island, about 3 minutes walking from the hotelParking Facilities: Free parking availableRooms at the Quinta das Vistas:63 Double Rooms (30m²) spread over three floors03 Junior Suites (45m²)04 Suites (50m²)01 Presidential Suite (80m²) on the top floor of the original house2 twin rooms specially equipped for guests with wheel chair Room Facilities: Private balcony with a superb views of the gardens, Funchal, the mountains or the Atlantic ocean Luxury wood and carpet floors Bathrooms with Portuguese marble and oak Bath with shower Separate area for toilet and bidet Selection of bathroom amenities Air conditioning and heating individually controlled Double glazing Direct dial telephone Free Wireless in all rooms and public areas Electronic in-room safe free of charge Mini-bar Bathrobes Room slippers Internet access Sitting area with comfortable armchairs Dressing table with mirror Hair-dryer at the dressing table Cable TV with 30 Portuguese and international channels Wake-up and message system through the telephone system Non Smoking rooms available Family rooms available (2 main beds and 2 extra beds)Public Areas and Additional Facilities Reception and lobby, Interior winter garden and a Formal lounge Cocktail Bar, veranda and terrace Panoramic gourmet restaurant, veranda and terrace Reserved area in the restaurant for non smokers Interior and exterior heated swimming pool Second exterior heated swimming pool Jacuzzi, Sauna, Turkish Bath, Relaxation Room with magnificent views, Sensations shower and Vichy bath, Foot Spa and panoramic Fitness room available free of charge Treatment rooms Magnificent tropical centenary gardens and green areas with paths surrounding the property, relaxation and rest areas e 9-holes mini golf Garden corners with different features Vintage Rolls Royce available for special transfers Free reception of faxes and Sending service of faxes at Reception Laundry service with deliveries in 24 hours Organization of dry cleaning service (outside the hotel) Breakfast in the room from 7:30 to 10:30 Room Service from 10:00 to 24:00The details that make the difference at Charming Hotels: The Resident Manager personally receives all arriving guests and will maintain a personal and regular contact with them to ensure their satisfaction and anticipate their requirements. All our guests are accompanied to their room on arrival Gift on arrival of Madeira Wine & Madeira cake Free electronic room safe, bath robe and slippers Free use of sauna, Turkish bath,, sensations shower, whirlpool, panoramic fitness room, and relaxation rooms and much more at Chandra Spa. Free use of the Health Centre & Fitness Room facilities Guests on Half Board may opt to eat at any of the Restaurants of Charming Hotels at no extra charge Vintage Rolls Royce available for VIP guests, anniversaries or birthdays A policy of addressing our guests by name A policy of special attention to all our guests needs A policy of always being willing and able to help our guests A policy of making everything possibleRestaurants & Bars at Quinta das Vistas:Restaurant La Belle Terrasse:Situated in the centenary main house, it provides a wonderful colonial atmosphere with veranda and terrace.The gourmet menu offers creative dishes that combine local produce with exotic herbs and spices. The Executive Chef uses fresh herbs grown in the garden and only fresh produce that is carefully selected in the local farmers market.The dining room is decorated in keeping with the original architecture and colonial history of the house, reminiscent of the elegant romantic past of Madeira.The veranda and terrace are perfect for al fresco dining in the warm Madeira evenings.The service is a full a-la-carte complemented by the chef’s daily suggestions. Open for lunch and dinner.Albatroz Piano Bar:Situated in the main house the bar serves the winter garden, main lounge, veranda and terrace.Panoramic Pool Bar:Serves the pool area with drinks and original snacks. Open for light lunches. Relaxing atmosphere with cane chairs and wood sun umbrellas.The Royal Tea or Coffee, with freshly made scones and pastries is also served in the sitting room, veranda and terrace.Conference Room: Durão IDimensions: Total area 50.00 m² Length 6.80 m Width 7.30 m Height 3.50 m Air conditioning and heating Natural lightingCapacity: Convention Type – 40 persons Schoolroom style – 32 persons U type table – 18 persons Reception – 45 persons Banquet – 32 personsDurão IIDimensions: Total area 25.00 m² Length 6.30 m Width 3.90 m Height 3.50 m Air conditioning and heating Natural lightingCapacity: Convention Type – 20 persons Schoolroom style – 15 persons One table – 16 persons Reception – 25 persons Banquet – 16 personsDurão I + IIDimensions: Total area 78.00 m² Length 10.70 m Width 7.30 m Height 3.50 m Air conditioning and heating Natural lightingCapacity: Convention Type – 70 persons Schoolroom style – 50 persons U type table – 25 persons Reception – 60 persons Banquet – 55 personsPrices include: Flipchart, paper and 4 colour felt tip pens (black, blue, green and red) White board with 4 different board markers Pen Folder of documents Waters for the Presidential TableSpecific audiovisual material: Possibility of providing a large range of audio-visual equipment. The quotation must be requested in advance as well as the reservation of the material.Coffee Breaks & Business lunch menus: A complete variety of choices are available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Venere, Olotels, Otel, Priceline, Hotels.com, Tingo and HotelsClick so you can book your Quinta Das Vistas Palace Gardens reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.