We stayed for 2 weeks last month. We`re very familiar with this hotel as original time share owners. We dont go every year though.
1) the food in the main dining room was terrific. Breakfast and dinner was so good that we frequently ate in rather than eat at local restaurants. Full marks to the kitchen staff.
2) the place still looks good. Obviously investing in high quality fixtures and fittings as well as the interesting antiques and furnishings was worth it.
1) the service appears to be very inconsistent at meal times. Sometimes we were overwhelmed by staff but at others it was if we were invisible or completely forgotten about!
2) the management of the fire alarm going off at nearly midnight one night was really bad. It was due to a burst pipe we found out later but with alarms going full blast, lifts frozen and air con roaring in all corridors it was very stressful. We met elderly people trying to evacuate and confusion abounded. No staff in sight, no one to explain what was happening, people going up and down the fire escape stairs etc. What if it had been a real fire?
3) the pricing of the half board package was confusing. In almost every case we had to pay an additional supplement. Either price it up or dont sell it as a "bargain". As I said before the food was great and we thought it was OK value including the supplements but we were warned off the package by various guests due to the supplement issue.
4) we miss the old savoy. Its just a hole in the ground. We miss the garden. One key aspect of this for us was the ability to access the main road via the old Savoy thus reducing the need for a steep walk either up or down the narrow street the Royal Savoy is located on. We saw many older people struggling. Taxis are plentiful as one of the reception staff uses his own taxi business to supply them.
5) we dont like the pressure from the sales team to constantly upgrade or alter our time share membership.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Savoy Hotel is situated in a privileged oceanfront location overlooking the harbour of Funchal. The city's fascinating historic and cultural centre are close by. Funchal's Old Town district, the bustling Marina, beautiful city gardens, Municipal Theatre, city squares adored with outdoor cafes & esplanades, Shopping Centres, Museums and many more interesting places to visit are just a stone's throw away. This Hotel offers 12 spacious standard rooms, 101 junior suites plus 59 superior suites with one or two bedrooms, each elegantly decorated providing the utmost quality and comfort whilst creating a unique exotic atmosphere. All rooms have an ample furnished balcony and enjoy magnificent ocean views. All junior suites have their own kitchenette, sofa bed, refrigerator bar, cable and interactive flat screen TV, DVD player, Internet, electronic room safe and a full bathroom with separate shower, hairdryer and bathrobes. The superior suites have 1 or 2 bedrooms, kitchen, sofa bed, refrigerator bar, interactive cable, flat screen TV, DVD surround sound system, electronic room safe and 2 or 3 bathrooms (master-bathroom equipped with bathtub and separate shower), hair dryer and bathrobes. All rooms have free internet wireless system. This stunning complex is architecturally designed to allow you to appreciate to the full extent the beautiful breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean. Enjoy the wide variety of both on-site and off-site leisure facilities and entertainment services, including heated indoor pool; gymnasium; a luxury spa where you can enjoy the free use of the sauna, steam room and tropical shower; games room; hairdresser, free internet wireless system, fine a-la-carte and buffet restaurant, piano bar with nightly live musical entertainment and pool snack bar, 2 outdoor sea-water swimming pools (one heated), jacuzzi, and children's splash pool. We also feature a spacious sundeck and terrace coupled with shady and lush sub-tropical gardens, which are further adorned with a barbecue area, a short seaside promenade, fountains and water cascades, private sea access and outdoor games area - all providing maximum holiday ambience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, HostelBookers, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Royal Savoy Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Savoy Funchal
- Savoy Funchal
- Royal Savoy Hotel Funchal
- Royal Savoy Resort Funchal
- Royal Savoy Hotel Madeira/Funchal