Stayed here in February - first time we have been here at this time of year. Temperature was in low low 60s or 18 /19 degrees. Lots warmer than the UK but did not feel warm enough to swim outside but we did sunbathe or some days and got quite a tan on some days. It was hot enough to sit out and eat at lunchtime but had to eat inside in the evenings. Hotel was still as lovely as ever. Service very good. The rooms are well specced with everything you could need in the kitchen. The cleaners come in every day and fold your nightear into fancy shapes and leave little chocolates on the pillows. Love the decor, especially all the Tribal art collection and the view from the room. The only downside was the lack of wi-fi, you have to pay to be wired in.
There is still lots to do at this time of year. One day we hired a taxi to Porto Monix. We have been here for the swimming in the summer but it was fantastic to see it in the winter. The waves were enormous and the sea looked like a boiling cauldron - see our photos but on shore there was no wind and you could sit on the edge of the sea with a coffee taking in the sun but next to a raging sea. Amazing.
It was lovely to get some sunshine at this time of year - would recommend a winter visit.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Savoy Funchal
- Savoy Funchal
- Royal Savoy Hotel Funchal
- Royal Savoy Resort Funchal
- Royal Savoy Hotel Madeira/Funchal
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oceanfront Resort (October 2001) set amid subtropical gardens with terraces and sundeck. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Tingo, HostelBookers, Venere, Otel and Fareportal so you can book your Royal Savoy Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.