“Nice little hotel, cheap and clean, close enough to the Lido” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Flame Tree Madeira

You added Flame Tree Madeira to your Saves list
Flame Tree Madeira
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Beco da Amoreira 26, Funchal, Madeira 9000, Portugal (Formerly Residencial Vila Camacho)   |
Ranked #79 of 90 Hotels in Funchal
Finland
“Nice little hotel, cheap and clean, close enough to the Lido”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

Nice and cheap hotel. Good value for money. They had good offers on dinner, three courses for 11.50 or LADY FREE on a one course dinner.

When we arrived we were offered room #3. It was small and only had one window facing a wall 2 meters away with noise from the kitchen. As we arrived rather late we decided just to sleep there, after one night we decided to try to upgrade. The manager offered a junior suite for 100€ and a room with partial sea view for 150€, but we were also shown some rooms that would not require any extra charge. Room #46 is O.K. as you get a sea view for no extra charge, but if you take room #49 on the ground floor, you get a terrace and a room as big as #46 plus a huge bathroom, also for no extra charge. The sea view is though more restricted than in #46. We stayed for a week in #49 and were really happy with that choice; a good, spacious, and quiet room. It was nice to sit and relax on the terrace after a long day of walking around the island.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

I went to Vila Camacho with my husband for my 60th birthday. I was amazed at how hard working the staff were and help to make your stay enjoyable. Our room was simply furnished but contained everything we needed. The beds were extremely comfortable and linen changed regularly.
We dined every night in their restaurant. The food was exceptional - probably the best we have ever tasted. Miguel certainly knows how to cook! Meals were not expensive.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

nice wee hotel,basic but very clean.manager tries to get you to upgrade to room with balcony for 150 euros.say no and try and get room 46 standard room with sea view for no extra.breakfast ok.fruit and rols n cheese n meat.watch out for the slick trick they play with giving you 2 bottles of water when you first get to your room,but when you check out you see them on the bill.charging 2 euros for a bottle.they do good deals on the meals at night,either 1 gets a main course free or 3 courses for 11 euros.overall worth the money.pleasant staff nice location

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
somerset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2010

fantastic room lovely views and very friendly staff the balcony view we had was fantastic and great for gin and tonics would definantly recomend to all and would myself go there again a big thanks to the hotel for making our stay so pleasureable.

Rotherham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2010

I booked this holiday at fairly short notice having seen it advertised in a travel agent's window. I paid £220 per person for my wife and I, for a week's bed & breakfast. At the time of booking I stated that I would like a twin room (as opposed to double) and would like a balcony/terrace in the 'any special requests' section of the booking form. The hotel is on a hillside road about a mile from the centre of Funchal.You can walk into the town centre or get a local bus.On arrival we were shown to our room which was a double. I immediately stated that I had asked for a twin and was then taken to another room which was indeed a twin room. There was no balcony but before I had the chance to mention this I was asked if I would like to see one of their 'special' rooms which had balconies with sea views. I must admit it was a wonderful view and while I was in the room the telephone rang.......it was the manager on reception asking if I liked the room with the sea view. When I said I did, he said it would be 150 euros for the week to upgrade. He also said I could upgrade from B&B to add evening meal for 9.50 euros per person per night. Given that evening meal was 3 courses and some of the main courses were 12 euros, the meal upgrade seemed very reasonable. He said he would do both upgrades for 285 euros but I offered to pay 250 and he agreed, even throwing in a bottle of 'champagne'. There are only 6 rooms at the front which enjoy these views so I can see why the hotel add a premium for them but 150 euros seems a bit steep even though the view is excellent. The room was basically furnished but clean. The bathroom had a shower, the curtain always seemed to stick to you, which was a bit of a pain, but always plenty of hot water. I never used the small, unheated pool but it didn't look all that inviting. There was a small massage room but the prices of the individual treatments seemd expensive to me. The The breakfast was the usual continental one i.e. bread, fruit, cheese, ham, salami and cakes. The evening meal involved a choice of starter, main and dessert with quite a wide choice. The food was of a fairly high standard and most enjoyable, good value for the 9.50 euros upgrade. House wine was 12 euros a bottle and went down well with the meal. Meals could be taken in the (small) dining room or on the open air terrace but most nights it was a bit cool for dining 'al fresco'. The one thing this hotel lacks in a bar lounge....you can have a drink on the terrace but it was sometimes too cool to sit outdoors. The small TV lounge was not particularly comfortable and had no bar. In warmer months than January this would be less of an issue. Also, even though Madeira has a mild year-round climate,the hotel does not appear to have any backup heating for cooler evenings. The service of meals and drinks was always efficient. To sum up : Plus points - clean but basic rooms, friendly staff, pretty good food. Minus points - rooms without balcony were cramped, no bar lounge, no evident heating, basic bathroom facilities. This was my first time in Madeira, I will definitely return and would probably stay at Vila Camacho again as, above all else, it offers value for money if you are on a budget.

Salford,Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

We took room 18 after taking up the special offer, this tiny but comfy room had a balcony , a wonderful picture postcard view over funchal and the harbour and was sunlit all day!
Most guests seemed to be those who left early morning to walk or explore the mountains and amazing countryside; returing in the evening to enjoy wonderful homecooked exceptional food ( without having to queue at an overblown tasteless buffet).
To be honest, the air is so clean that after a days walking or relaxing we were happy to enjoy a great meal and bottle of local wine and sit on the balcony and enjoy the view.
I enjoyed a foot massage, at the little wellness centre for 10 euros before settling onto a very comfy outdoor sofa for a decent cup of coffee.
We found this hotel a welcome change from large hotels offering volley ball and piped muisc all day. Certiainly would go again when we need rest and relaxation. Well worth the money! 5 star value at 3 star price...

costal side
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

We just got home from a splendid holiday at Vila Camacho. We loved it very much!
dispite all the negative comments, we enjoyed our stay! Let's not forget this is a 3 star hotel please.
The very attentive staff served us the best dishes (fresh food). We had a little girl (4yrs) with us, and she was very spoiled by the kicthen and restaurant staff.We were happy to order the extras on the breakfast menu...we were on holiday after all.

When leaving early in the morning, it was never a problem to get breakfast.
Staff was always very helpful, friendly and proffesional.
The room (37) was perfect, litlle balcony and sea-view. The pool is small but, never anyone around so it felt like your own private pool.

I can understand that this hotel is not suited for elderly people, but for all those who want to hike in Madeira, regardless the age should manage a few more steps on the stairway to the room.
The hotel is situated in a very peaceful area up the hill in Funchal, so the more busy areas are 10min Lido, Forum Madeira, 15 min old town Funchal port away.
One can take the city bus, or taxi. We rented a car, but this not recommended.
The fee you pay to a taxi is approx. the amount you pay for a parking ticket .
We only have one complaint....it rained 7 days out of 8, so we will be back once more and next to all discribed above we will then also enjoy the sun =-)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Been to Flame Tree Madeira? Share your experiences!