“A good value base for short stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Flame Tree Madeira

You added Flame Tree Madeira to your Saves list
Flame Tree Madeira
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Beco da Amoreira 26, Funchal, Madeira 9000, Portugal (Formerly Residencial Vila Camacho)   |
Ranked #79 of 90 Hotels in Funchal
Estreito da Calheta, Portugal
“A good value base for short stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

A great value place for a night or 2 in Funchal.

The rooms are basic and the breakfasts are quite basic too. However, this hotel is just a very short bus ride from the centre of Funchal. The nightly rate is never too high so, always worth a consideration.

There is a great place only a short walk away to have a bite too eat and a drink called Touri Galo.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

I've spent my Easter holidays in Madeira and we booked this hotel since it was one of the cheapest in Funchal. We were mainly interested in a place where to sleep, since with 3 days, we would have spent the time driving around the island. I read all the information about the upgrade here, so I was prepared to decline any related offer.
So, arrived in Funchal, we tried to find it alone but at the end we prefer taking a cab, faster and easier, since the hotel is on the top of the hill, 15-20 minutes by walking from the city-centre and if you don't know, it's really hard finding it. Arrived there, the staff welcomed us, they were not rude, but they tried to sell us the upgrade (the half-board). I wouldn't pay more for breakfast and dinner, so the staff took us to the room. I expected to be really small, dark and not clean, but, it was even nice!
So, it was a normal size room, one window (in the front of the house) was broken, but there was another one working perfectly, so, it was ok. We even had a private toilet+shower provided with soap and towels, the room was clean and we had new towels every day. Would you expect more for 10€ each per day?

Just one thing: hopefully we came back late in the evening the two days we had the car and the third one we waked up really early taking the boat to Porto Santos. We just had a glass of Poncha one evening and we paid it double compared to the price in the city centre. So, I would advice to not take anything at the bar of the hotel, since I rather think it would be much more expensive than anywhere else.
There's a nice bar 5 min by walking, in front of the stadium, preparing great and cheap coffees, and we went there in the morning before leaving with the car.
As other people are writing here, the street where the hotel is located is narrow and a cul-de-sac so we left the car in the main street, to avoid any problem parking next the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

I recently travelled here with my sister for a small break.When we arrived at this hotel it was basically a building site, we had hardly any sleep and was woken every morning @7 on the dot by a concrete smasher. Staff were rude and could have had better manners. Only best thing about this place is the beds. Will not be coming her again in a hurry.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Stayed 7 nights last week with friend of mine on our Madeira hiking trip, will try to sum it up using bullet points..

Positive:
- price, paid 175 Euro or so
- parking space close by
- nice terrace and quite good views
- good turn down service, we got clean towels every or every other day
- amazing snack bar 5 mins from the hotel, opposite to stadium car park, local main dishes for 4-5 Euro, beer 1 Euro

Negative:

- we were given one of the worst rooms (judging by other reviews that mention this room as well), cross the road - not a main building, damp smell, basement view...were offered upgrade to room with a balcony and half board for 100 E...could not be bothered as we needed place to sleep and hot shower...dont know why they gave us that room though, hotel was on very low occupancy...I guess they wanted us to go for an upgrade

- light sleepers should be aware they can be woken up by barking dogs early morning

- poor and small pool, don't reckon anybody would go in

- poor customer service from all staff we met, no smile, no how are you or what brings you here

- hot water would not start working until after 3-4 minutes

- friend of mine slept on extremely creaking bed, we laughed at this a lot as we had never seen bed like that before :)

- you have to pay for wi-fi, 10 Euro for whole stay per room, available in common library only

Not decided:

- continental bfast included, you can have tea/coffee/hot choco, you will get 6 bread rolls, jam, butter, 2 slices of cheese and 4 slices of ham...not bad, however you will get the same every day

- kind of nightmare to park near the hotel as streets are so narrow, however if you take right from the main building, go down the stairs, you hit wide main road and you can park there, we parked there for 6 days, very convenient

- you need to walk at least 20 min to city centre, bus 45 will take you there for 1,70 E though, bus stops nearby, taxis are cheap anyway

That should be all, I would rate this hotel with 2 stars only, however we had a great time in Madeira and hotel served its purpose so I am giving one more.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Island of Anglesey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

How could we go back to Madeira and NOT stay at the Vila? For us, it's 'home from home' and we always get treated almost like family when we walk through the door.
It was very quiet there on this visit - not many guests but the food was still as good (though with the low occupancy, not the usual big choice of menu). We always choose the half board option for best value.
Our room was clean and comfortable (one with a sea view and balcony on the front, actually, we'd had this particular room once before).
Perhaps some of the maintenance wasn't quite up to scratch this visit - some of the paintwork could have done with touching up but overall, we enjoyed our short stay there.
All I will say is 'use it or lose it' - this is still an excellent value for money small hotel, it doesn't have the facilities of the big hotels but if you're wanting to go out all day walking and sightseeing, then this is an excellent place to stay with good food when you come back at night.

Room Tip: Go half board and get a room on the front
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

I made a booking for my parents on this hotel for new years. They had a 48 hour cancellation policy.

Unfortunately my parents won't be able to make it to Madeira this year, so I cancelled the reservation about 3 weeks ago. The booking channel through each I booked the hotel confirmed the cancellation and informed me there would be a €0 cancellation penalty.

Lo and behold, I've received my credit card statement and the whole stay had been charged to my credit card.

Have contacted the booking channel and my credit card company, and will get the refund, because I looked at my statement...

Will never do business with this hotel again, and advise everyone against it.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Varsity Lakes, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

The staff are very friendly ,helpfull and speac good english. There was no A.C. fan, TV, or fridge in the room. The linnen was good to start with but as the days went on they had holes in them and were very worn. The cleaning of the room was not very good. The romm was cklean when we arrived but whie we were ther the glasses were not washed the glass table was not wiped and the bathroom shelves were not cleaned. If you have not paied for dinner do not be fooled by the menu given to you when you arrive. We took up the dinner package because the food seemed to be good. But nothing on the menu given to us was ever served up. The food was bland the vegies over cooked and the salad limp. But the icecream was good. You will need a very good pair of walking shoes as the villa is on a hill with a 45 degree slope. Unless you into hiking and are very fit I would suggest you take a bus or taxi back up. The only non smoking area is in the restraunt which is very small, most of the tables are outside. The view from the room was lovley, you get what you pay for but for a small amount more I feel a hotel closer to the main area would have been a better deal.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Flame Tree Madeira? Share your experiences!