What a pity that 5 stars is the maximum rating here, This hotel deserves 10 stars on a scale of 1 to 5.
From first till last moment the service has been by far the best of my life and after leaving that great service by the manager did not stop but it turned out to be of gigantic help to me, when seeing my credit card account.
At check-in one can sit down (not often the case in hotels).
I got a suite as an upgrade, the Malabar Suite (the most to the east, above reception building, hidden in the trees but still a great view of Funchal and very private and big). I'd better not say how or why I got it.
When the DVD player slightly malfunctioned, they brought me a brandnew one (much better colours). Beside the bed is a notice that one can request for a softer or harder mattrass. I found it to be too hard so got a brandnew mattrass topper.
Room cleaning was at 2 PM but I did not need it so they did not come back..
There is a minibar. Normally too expensive but in this hotel prices were so reasonable that I used nearly all.
The suite has a separate sitting room that has the ventilation, so that when door closed I did not hear it in the bedroom with the large TV and large bed. Low bed. Great pillows. Big bathroom with bath. Jacuzzi outside (with lighting). Sunken into the floor so I had problem to get into it (first sitting on the sunlounger)..But the 6 jetstreams are only massaging the feet. Big enough for 2.
4 times a shuttle to the city. Book in advance. Taxi is 13 euro.
Very nice garden, should be fantastic in summer. Nice walking on levada to Hortensia TeaHouse or to Monte.
Nobody mentions the dogs. Does not mean they are not there.. Sometimes fierce barking, on 3 sides of the resort, but not often and not at night. Normally this would bother me but here there was so much to enjoy that I forgot about the dogs. Otherwise very peaceful, quiet resort, a place made in Heaven. What a magnificent design (same French architects as of famous Datai in Malaysia and one on Bora Bora).
Reception has DVDs,not many but had my favourite, Girl with a Pearl Earring which I enjoyed quite emotionally (that painting is 10 minutes walk from my house). . They also have CDs and many books in the library. Free internet PC in library.
Nice indoor pool and spa. Outdoor pool cold. Nobody swims in winter, only inside.
Marvellous breakfast. Marvelous dinner. It was crowded. I was told hotel was nearly fully booked (in early January!) .
Noisy restaurant because of screaming children (no music) but room service is wonderful so I ate inside my room for rest of stay.
They have lowered their prices. 2 years ago much more expensive and low occupancy. Manager did a magnificent job.
This is a hotel to have very high on your list.
So great facilities and dedicated young staff. 3 friendly gardeners to keep resort in excellent shape.
Only points of criticism: I did not like the room lighting too much. Either too much or no light in room. A small bedside lamp would help. The 2 that there are have rather bright lamps, but I guess if I had asked they also would have solved that little problem..
Room decoration not very colourful (a lot of natural materials, wood, stone, metal). Next time I will bring myself a colourful poster or tapestry.
Motto of resort is "Inspired by nature" and that is surely true.
A hotel I will never forget.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Member of Design Hotels, Choupana Hills is located in Madeira Island Portugal and has one of the most beautiful views over the Atlantic Ocean. Nestled in a botanical garden the hotel provides a unique atmosphere. It's 62 rooms and suites are displayed in bungalows. Some African and Asian influences can be noticed in the unique decoration of this boutique hotel. The SPA has been awarded several times and exceeds the most demanding expectations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Despegar.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Booking.com and Tingo so you can book your Choupana Hills Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Choupana Hills Hotel Funchal
- Choupana Hills Resort And Spa
- Choupana Hills Resort & Spa Madeira/Funchal