OK, this hotel is not the Mandarin Oriental (though Id argue the views are better and staff even friendlier), but I just can't think of a solid reason for complaint. Its certainly utterly laughable half the hotels that are rated above this on TripAdvisor so Im bumping it to 5 star, no hesitation.
All the good: great sunsets over an endless ocean; staff completely open / helpful / friendly; a massage in the spa that my friend compared favorably to - no joke - the one she had at the Mandarin in Bankok (the spa EXPERIENCE is not comparable, of course) ; great breakfast; our room was wonderful; a library (so helpful when you have run out of something to read); good music played at breakfast (and other times / other spaces but I forget) etc......We loved it. Oh, 24 hour room service. Didnt use it but I definitely appreciate it.
Two negative points: Yes, the poster who claims there have been cutbacks / no investment at the hotel may well be right. It was our first time (frankly, I saw possible evidence of same at Reids) The grounds could certainly use some serious attention, it is true. However, this didn't bother us. What DID irritate me was the lack of WiFi in the rooms. WiFi is available only in the hotel's public spaces. This seems ridiculous. I WANT to read email or whatever on my porch when I want. Perhaps the hotel wants me to have to use its other services when I go online? I dont know. I was so happy there I actually forgot to ask or say anything...Ill definitely go back. And ask them to fix the wifi.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Member of Design Hotels, Choupana Hills is located in Madeira Island Portugal and has one of the most beautiful views over the Atlantic Ocean. Nestled in a botanical garden the hotel provides a unique atmosphere. It's 62 rooms and suites are displayed in bungalows. Some African and Asian influences can be noticed in the unique decoration of this boutique hotel. The SPA has been awarded several times and exceeds the most demanding expectations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Priceline, Tingo, Otel and HotelsClick so you can book your Choupana Hills Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Choupana Hills Resort And Spa
- Choupana Hills Hotel Funchal
- Choupana Hills Resort & Spa Madeira/Funchal