“Excellent break look forward to returning” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Quinta Perestrello

You added Quinta Perestrello to your Saves list
Quinta Perestrello
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Rua Dr Pita, 3, Funchal, Madeira 9000-089, Portugal   |
Ranked #14 of 26 Funchal B&B and Inns
Perth, United Kingdom
“Excellent break look forward to returning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed at Qunita Perestrello from Christmas Eve through to New Years Eve 2012. I stayed here a few years back and was pleased to see that the high standards had been maintained. The hotel was clean and well kept, staff friendly and helpful. It is a small hotel in a good location attracting a diverse nationality of guests. Breakfast had something that would meet most peoples taste from fresh fruit salad, breads, meats and cheeses, plus a hot breakfast. I personally didn't find the breakfast repetative as I varied my choice each day.

I loved sitting out on the terrace or by the pool reading or enjoying afternoon tea and dispite being on a main road the traffic wasn't an issue as the gardens are raised well above road level and sheltered.

The hotel's location I found to be ideal, turn left and it's a 15 minute walk to the City Centre, turn right and some 5 minutes from the commercial area with restaurants, shops and supermarket, and only 10 minutes from the lido/sea front. There is plenty of choice of places to eat in the area with prices to suit most budgets or you can eat at any of the sister hotels (shuttle service available). I didn't eat at any of the sister hotels so can't comment on the food or service but locally I had some excellent meals with a warm welcome and good service. There are some good restaurants in the Old Town (near the market area) which is some 25 minutes walk away.

If you are looking for a hotel with entertainment and activities, busy bars, a hustle and bustle night life, and a children's club then this is not the place for you.

I'm looking forward to going back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Having not been to Madeira for 12 years It took me a while to finally pick the Perestrello from so many hotels. I chose it because it is relatively small,has a pool, is part of a fabulous hotel group, and its location is perfect . The total price for 2 rooms was also another factor.
If you step out of the hotel and turn right there are loads of great restaurants. If you turn left it is a nice stroll into the centre of Funchal via lovely gardens.

The quinta Perestrello still retains the old feel of a bygone age and is true to its roots. Yes they could improve certain things such as the chairs which are rather worn and some of the beds creak , but the over riding feelings of charm and sedation more than make up for any negatives.
The breakfasts were free and adequate , though i would personally prefer to pay and have better quality products such as the Juice (packet) and fresh mushrooms rather than tinned.
Loved the pool as it wasn't used very much by others staying. Parking was a nice bonus. We were given 2 rooms in the "new wing"side by side which was great as we could sit outside on the terrace and talk over the fence to our daughter without leaving our rooms.
The staff were very friendly and helpful.
One last thing is that a previous reviewer (mootpointmaker) had suggested that there was a theft, i suggest she had too much Madeira wine!!

I thoroughly recommend this place and also the other hotels in the group.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Loen, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Close to the city center as well as hotel area "Lido" this was an excellent location. Quiet, friendly, a bit too close to the main road, but anyway.... OK knowledge about our main activity, mountain hiking. Breakfast was good, the same with breakfast room (which for us was outside in the morning sun).

Room Tip: Select a room with terrace
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I came back here after a really enjoyable stay at this 'quinta' 5 years ago. I wanted the safe and easy option this time as a solo independent traveller, going back to a comfortable, clean, safe hotel for a quick blast of sunshine before winter sets in. If you think the 'bite' refers to the mosquito, which were bad this year (Early October stay: pack the jungle juice!), not so...read to the end! This is a friendly little quinta (old house, and much smaller than the big new hotels.) There's a nice secluded garden with an outdoor pool, with beautiful plants, labelled, which from my very limited botanical knowledge might have been all or nearly all from the native range. Default booking is for B&B – the hotel doesn't do meals but dispatches residents in, I understand, a bus, at a hefty price for the meal, to a choice of other hotels in the chain. I ate mainly elsewhere. The one room service salad I ordered was OK. Room was a bit more run-down than I remember my room being last time; nothing individually to write home about: scratches on desk and floor, drippy tap, flush stopper that fell out, rather worn upholstery on chair, patio light that didn't work, headboard could do with a polish. Wall of bathroom rather grubby - not of typical Portuguese standard which – I've seen a few – tend to be spotless, leaving British bathrooms well behind. Water somewhat discoloured on first night only. I think there must have been some sort of work going on in the neighbourhood, and indeed towards the end of the week it became clear some major building or demolition or renovation work was being done across the road. Limited bursts of noise. Despite asking for an upgrade double which had been confirmed by email, I was given an upgade twin, which after a long journey and me being somewhat overheated on arrival, wasn't worth debating. Staff friendly and welcoming. Breakfast: as per previous reviewers, yes, almost identical each day, always 3 items on the cooked grill of which there was some variation daily, but very adequate and enjoyable with pure juices, none of that nectar malarkey. Good bread and fruit. Breakfast al fresco out the front is nice; you can also eat in the conservatory at the front or in the dining room. Waiting staff are friendly and polite and don't pressure you to move on. The holiday was going swimmingly until my last night when, on emptying the contents of my safe in preparation for leaving, I discovered there was less cash (GBP, not Euros) therein than I had left that morning, the largest denom and rather crisp note was gone. There was no sign that the lock had been tampered with and it still functioned as normal. I was mystified and thoroughly searched the rest of my belongings. I knew I hadn't changed any money since arrival, or put any into my bag with the intention of changing it, and the only cash I had removed from the safe that morning had been a 20 Euro note. I dealt with my cards and first thing in the morning informed the Front of House staff of the loss. The gentleman on the desk said he would need to talk to his superior and 'see what we can do': I was a little taken aback because it was clear he thought I was after compensation – he certainly didn't attempt to clarify my wishes. I was upset and needing some validation of my concerns, of which there was absolutely none forthcoming. He offered no assurance of investigation, and told me that the police would not be interested in this because I had disturbed the safe. Only when I directly asked did he assured me that the hotel kept no copy of safe keys. I felt unbelieved and embarrassed about the episode as I calmly told him outright that I did not expect compensation from the hotel but I found it very strange that this had happened. Clearly at least the hotel had to know about an event like this to detect a problem, should it be repeated. As my transfer to the airport was due shortly, I deemed the loss of the cash to be not worth the delay of wrangling with the police via the hotel staff. I am left wondering what happened to the cash (which was below the amount that I could claim on my insurance). The timing of the incident was interesting, just before I was due to leave. I have no idea whether there was an intruder with good locksmithing skills or whether there was another explanation. I accept the hotel may not have been able answer this question – but they did not offer what I would expect to be STANDARD assurances of investigation or support of their customer and left me feeling embarrassed and frankly angry. I do not feel confident I would have found help here if victim of a more significant crime. Would it have been right to simply not inform them that this had happened? I don't think so. I would advise anyone staying at Quinta Perestrello NOT TO USE THEIR SAFE! The episode has left rather a sour taste in the mouth. I shall choose somewhere else next time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

The location of this hotel was fantastic, as it is only a short walk to some superb restaurants in one direction, and in the other a pleasant stroll into town. The bedroom was spacious and tastefully decorated, in keeping with the traditional building. The large balcony was a nice addition to the room. Although the floors and beds were creaky, it is only to be expected in a hotel with age and this only added to the character. The breakfast was ok, there was good choice but this could be improved slightly by having higher quality products, for example having fresh juice. We chose to eat breakfast outside in the sunshine which was great. It also has to be noted how pleasant the staff were. Would definitely return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Tunbridge Wells, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Excellent hotel. Convenient location above the main town but also an easy walk down to the lido area. Large comfortable bedrooms, cosy bar with wifi, good breakfast, especially on the sunny balcony. Pool and gardens complement a quality establishment. Best of all, the staff were wonderful. Ideal if you want a quiet, friendly, relaxing holiday. Highly recommended.
(Note that Funchal is not great if you are not very mobile because which ever way you walk you will be walking up (or down) a big hill - but that adds to its charm and helps you get fit.)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Oslo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

We have just returned from one week at this charming Hotel.
"We" are an elderly couple from Oslo, Norway and we really enjoyed our stay at this quiet hotel not far from the center of Funchal. There is some noise from the road, but not much.
We stayed in the old part of the hotel with a terrace. The room was nice, though somewhat worn down. The bed was hard, but the old atmosphere of the room was charming.
The service from the staff was excellent and everybody were very friendly.
This is a hotel we will gladly return to.
Oslo, 18th of May 2012

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Quinta Perestrello? Share your experiences!