We have just returned from a week at this lovely hotel. We consider ourselves quite picky when it comes to cleanliness and service etc but after staying at the Quinta dal Bela Vista we had nothing to worry about. This hotel is overlooking the town of Funchal away from the crowds. The greeting from the staff at the reception was warm and friendly, our room was no. 321 which overlooks the pool and with views to the sea was just lovely, very clean and comfortable with crisp white cotton sheets and fluffy towels. Air conditioning kept the night time sleeping nice and comfortable. Breakfast was very good and substantial, something for everyone. Most of our days were spent out and about, however we did have lunch at the hotel on two occasions and dinner outside at the Quinta on two occasions. (which is something not to miss.)
The food and service is outstanding, it was a pleasure to have our meals served to us by some of the most friendly and efficient staff we have come across. The hotel itself has a colonial feel, large, airy and full of good quality antique furnishing and artwork. They offer an excellent mini bus shuttle to the town several times a day, the only problem is that it only has 9 seats so you must be prompt!
Going out and about: We went up to Monte Gardens in the cable car which was a great day out, we bought our tickets at the cable car. The gardens a beautiful and the view from the top of the church stunning. Go to the flower/fish/fruit market at the end of the town and pop upstairs to the rooftop cafe for a beer, ladies ask for a small one, the medium was like a small bucket! we also had a snack here and it was delicious.
We also took the ferry to Porto Santo, the beach was the softest sand we have seen ( and we live near Cornwall) but the town disappointing. Next time we visit we will do the catamaran to see dolphins and whales instead.
Blandys tour is a must, we took the premuim and the vintage tours , the latter was just the two of us and a guide and we sampled a 1968 vintage Madeira which was smooth as silk.
Take time to go to the Ritz on the plaza area sit down, order sangria and watch the world go by, if you get there just before lunch there is live music.
We did have a seafood meal at the marina but felt it was overpriced.
Yellow bus tour is great, for 12 euros each you can hop on and off at the designated stops as many times as you wish in 24 hours, a good way to see what you want to see then revisit when yo want. The water was safe to drink which is a plus in my mind, and at no time at all did we feel unsafe.
If you do visit this hotel we are sure you will have a lovely relaxing time, but if your wish is to have a disco or entertainment every night then this is not the place for you, try the hotel district in Funchal .
A big thank you to everyone at the Quinta da Bela Vista for making our stay so comfortable, we will be returning as soon as we can.!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We strive to give you the warm and genuine hospitality of the traditional Madeiran Quintas. There are many moments to be cherished at Quinta da Bela Vista, one of the most select and exclusive family properties on Madeira island. This five star hotel enveloped in two hectares of luxurious botanical gardens – the ideal place to relax and enjoy spectacular views - hosts a significant antiques private collection. Our commitment ensures every guest wishes are fulfilled, making you feel at home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Tingo, HotelTravel.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Jetsetter, HostelBookers, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Quinta da Bela Vista reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quinta Da Bela Vista Hotel Funchal
- Quinta Da Bela Vista Funchal
- Quinta Da Bela Vista Madeira/Funchal