I have chosen this hotel guided by the Tripadvisor website, and I have had no regrets; many people have liked it and a very few haven’t; and I decided to have a go.
Madeira is a very beautiful island in the middle of the Atlantic with a dramatic weather; strong winds all the time and occasional rain that may last for days; a gamble which was worth taking. Madeira is a place to relax and be pampered (and gain some weight); most visitors are “mature” and appreciative of “tender attention.” And the place delivers it!
The main point: the service; the staff was very friendly and helpful. We all know that the success of businesses depends heavily on the provision of personalised service; but at the Quinta da Bela Vista the service reaches another level: a genuine concern for your stay and wellbeing - from the reception to the pool bar. For instance, Ms Magda at the pool bar was particularly warm, helpful, attentive, and efficient. One may look at any hotel staff as part of the business, but very rarely staff can be so honestly concerned about helping people to have the best time.
The hotel is beautiful; a quite haven hosting a gallery of wonderful pieces of restored antique furniture surrounded by a sub-tropical collection of trees and shrubs. The restaurant is a delight: the old and gorgeous building makes people feel special, and so are most of the dishes on offer; and of course, the pristine service. Only one minor drawback: the breakfast, a minor disappointment during my visit. Portuguese cuisine is characterised by a rich variety of breads, cakes, ham and so on. This is a five star hotel with a relatively small number of customers (thanks God for that). Its breakfast might be improved by offering of a variety of freshly baked cakes (better than the few available at the moment) and bread (avoiding the hard, dry and over baked croissants – a proper recipe is required and there are produces in Portugal to produce it), poached eggs (not fried), omelettes cooked to order, high quality ham (Portugal is the place for it) as opposed to unappealing paled processed meat.
Overall, never mind the breakfast; this is a special place which I highly recommend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We strive to give you the warm and genuine hospitality of the traditional Madeiran Quintas. There are many moments to be cherished at Quinta da Bela Vista, one of the most select and exclusive family properties on Madeira island. This five star hotel enveloped in two hectares of luxurious botanical gardens – the ideal place to relax and enjoy spectacular views - hosts a significant antiques private collection. Our commitment ensures every guest wishes are fulfilled, making you feel at home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, HostelBookers, Odigeo, Tingo and Jetsetter so you can book your Quinta da Bela Vista reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quinta Da Bela Vista Hotel Funchal
- Quinta Da Bela Vista Funchal
- Quinta Da Bela Vista Madeira/Funchal