We stayed a week in a standard room, which had a balcony over the lovely garden and was quiet all week. As others have said, service is remarkably friendly and helpful. Rosie provided information on ways into town, restaurants, walks and anything else you would want to know. When she was not there, the front desk staff stepped in and performed concierge services with a smile and patience. The rooms are large and comfortable in a home-like way. We did not mind the hilltop location and liked its relative proximity to the centre of town compared to the giant developments in west Funchal. We walked valiantly to and from the hotel (sometimes twice) to help burn off the many extra calories we consumed each day! It is not essential to use taxis, although in the heat it can seem like hard work at the final stretch (up hill). Others have commented on the few niggles, and I concur. It feels mean to be told not to use the fridge (or be charged 5 euros for doing so) and it would also be nice to be allowed to take a piece of fruit from breakfast back to the room for later, or perhaps to have a fruit bowl at reception as hotels frequently do. These 'rules' detract from the otherwise welcoming attitude of the staff, who do their best to make you feel at home. Surely an extra euro per night would cover any loss of minibar business and the fruit. My other niggle is the late start of breakfast, with cooked food not usually available till almost 8 a.m. and the buffet not open till 7.30. For those wanting to join excursions that pick up shortly after 8, it's a real rush; it made us reluctant to sign up for those excursions. Service at breakfast was noticeably less welcoming in some cases, as others have commented. The buffet itself was very varied, with changing cakes and fresh fruit. The cooked items were beautifully prepared, and only once was our poached egg not done to order. Lunch at the bar in the garden was a lovely experience, and we greatly enjoyed the bean and sausage soup (a bargain at 2.50 euros). In short, a very relaxing experience overall.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built within the grounds of an historic "Quinta" of Funchal, Quintinha de Sao Joao resurrects perfectly the magic of the old Madeiran residences. There are 42 spacious rooms in total, all equipped with the most up-to-date facilities with splendid views over the gardens. Bar, restaurant, heated outdoor and indoor swimming pools and full spa are included facilities. The careful attention to detail and the excellent personal service brings to life our motto "Home from Home." ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Despegar.com, HostelBookers, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Venere and Tingo so you can book your Quintinha Sao Joao reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quintinha Sao Joao Funchal
- Quintinha Sao Joao Hotel Funchal
- Quintinha Sao Joao Madeira/Funchal