This really is a lovely hotel. The rooms are large - with a seating area and balcony - very clean and comfortable. Despite being close to a main road, there is very little noise that carries into the hotel and even in the delightful garden it is easy to forget that you are in a built up area.
The hotel is situated a good ten minute walk from the town centre (all uphill on the way back, but taxis there are very cheap) in a residential area.
Without exception, all the staff are very friendly and efficient, you really do feel welcomed. The facilities are also good - we used the indoor pool several times as well as the games room (a pool table and table tennis - although we were glad no-one was trying to play chess there at the same time!). And afternoon tea in the bar was a treat! The hotel also has an underground carpark, although there is plenty of space for on street parking.
Breakfast is excellent with plenty of choice of fresh fruit, juices, etc from the buffet and freshly cooked eggs.
The only negative we found was the evening menu in the restaurant. Although the restaurant itself is pleasant and the staff attentive, the food (we ate a la carte) was average, nothing special. We ate there twice and are glad to not have chosen the half board option. The reception desk was great at recommending other places to eat not too far away.
Overall, this is an excellent choice for a quiet, very comfortable hotel for those, like us, who don't like impersonal, international hotels.
- Also Known As:
- Quintinha Sao Joao Hotel
- Quintinha Sao Joao Funchal
- Quintinha Sao Joao Hotel Funchal
- Quintinha Sao Joao Madeira/Funchal
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built within the grounds of an historic "Quinta" of Funchal, Quintinha de Sao Joao resurrects perfectly the magic of the old Madeiran residences. There are 42 spacious rooms in total, all equipped with the most up-to-date facilities with splendid views over the gardens. Bar, restaurant, heated outdoor and indoor swimming pools and full spa are included facilities. The careful attention to detail and the excellent personal service brings to life our motto "Home from Home." ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Tingo, Venere, HotelsClick and Orbitz so you can book your Quintinha Sao Joao reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.