We booked this hotel last minute through Thompson after reading previous TripAdvisor reviews. It lived up to our expectations with a large and comfortable room and friendly, efficient and capable staff.
Although described as having a garden view, which was wholly accurate, we also had a pretty good sea view as well. It must be noted that we were lucky as all rooms won't have a sea view. Nothing wrong with just the garden view though.
The rooms listed as available were twin rooms so I sent an email asking if a double was available, which is what we were given.
It was my wife's birthday during our stay; when we returned to our room after dinner out on that day there was a cake, a bottle of sparkling wine with plates, cutlery, serviettes and glasses waiting for us. A very nice and welcome touch.
You may notice in other reviews about the traffic on the nearby road. It is quite busy but even with our balcony door open there wasn't a problem with noise. Don't misunderstand, the hotel itself isn't on a busy road - the immediate surroundings are very quiet and it's away from the main hotel zone of Funchal, although the city is only a 15 minute walk away. All uphill on the way back but there is a courtesy bus to and from the hotel a couple of times a day.
I do have a little criticism but not enough to take away the 5 stars I've awarded this hotel: We booked half board but would go for B & B for another visit. There was nothing really wrong with the food but it didn't live up to the 5 star standard of the rest of the hotel...and what happened to breakfast on our final day - 28th Jan!! We chose to have something cooked although there is plenty of choice from the buffet. Everything was cold and the eggs actually had a skin formed on the yolk. I know I should have sent it back but seemed a shame to end an excellent week on a sour note.
All in all a thoroughly enjoyable stay and we would have no hesitation in returning to Quintinha Sao Joao when visiting Madeira again.
- Also Known As:
- Quintinha Sao Joao Hotel
- Quintinha Sao Joao Funchal
- Quintinha Sao Joao Hotel Funchal
- Quintinha Sao Joao Madeira/Funchal
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built within the grounds of an historic "Quinta" of Funchal, Quintinha de Sao Joao resurrects perfectly the magic of the old Madeiran residences. There are 42 spacious rooms in total, all equipped with the most up-to-date facilities with splendid views over the gardens. Bar, restaurant, heated outdoor and indoor swimming pools and full spa are included facilities. The careful attention to detail and the excellent personal service brings to life our motto "Home from Home." ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, HostelBookers, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Tingo and Otel so you can book your Quintinha Sao Joao reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.