“This is not the only hotel in a good Funchal city location...look around for better!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Windsor Hotel

You added Windsor Hotel to your Saves list
Windsor Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rua das Hortas 4C, Funchal, Madeira 9050, Portugal   |
Ranked #69 of 89 Hotels in Funchal
Bracknell, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

We thought that we had found a really good deal with this hotel. The location was great and the rooftop pool looked as though it would deter young families, we thought we had found a lovely city adult hotel...how wrong could we be.

'Have I stepped back in time' was my first thought when we pulled up. The outside decor was dark and less than uninviting. 'Stick with it though' I told myself, it has four stars, don't go by first appearances I thought...please I advise you all to go by first appearances.

We checked in without a problem and climbed into the very small and very old lift with an incredibly heavy door!

Ok onto the room. It was tiny, the bathroom was adequate. We spent the first 10 minutes looking for the air conditioning as the windows had been closed and the curtains left opened, it was like a sauna. No air conditioning except for an old desk fan which was great at circulating warm air.

Being British I fancied a cup of tea, but was disappointed to find no tea/coffee facilities! (I've stayed in 2* hostels with this facilities) ok I'll have a cold drink from the mini bar...it was empty and as I've found out are no longer stocked.

The rooftop pool was something I was looking forward too. The sun loungers were ok and the area was nice. I jumped into the pool and instantaneously leaped back out again for fear of catching hypothermia! It was freezing! The pool bar as advertised is not a pool bar...it's a storage area! DISAPPOINTED

Breakfast in the morning was also sad. It was bread, plastic cheese, rubbery ham and 2 types of cereal...everyday...none of which tasted or looked fresh.

The hotel receptionists were unknowledgeable and told us incorrect opening times of attractions along with prices and distances to the hotel.

COCKROACHES! I was unlucky to have an encounter with one of these disgusting creatures in the hotel toilet, as I came running. Out the receptionist laughed and pulled out a giant can of bug repellent. When she returned she told me that she didn't get it as it ran away from her...I avoided this area for the rest of my stay.

This hotel was a real disappointment, I found no official award displayed anywhere to say this was four star. I don't think much of the hotel has changed since it opened in 1987. Yes the room was cheap and yes it was in a great location but this is not the only hotel in Funchal City, please look around. I was more disappointed about what the website advertises and doesn't deliver than anything else. Such as being in a quiet location...it's surrounded but three streets. Pool bar...actually a storage area. Internet access but only if you want to pay €5 for 75minutes. In room safe...€5 a day.

Please don't expect a four star service. 2 at the most.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

This is NOT a four star! There is no proof of the award except an old sign outside when it opened in 1987. Have they stuck by this all this time without reassessment? If your actually contemplating staying here please read on. Don't stay here. Save your money. I can think of 4 really good reasons why not, please bear with me a while I go through them.
Number 1. The room. We tried changing rooms three times but we found each to be as disappointing as the last. They are all small, with rickety beds, no air conditioning (you'll need this!), all street facing (noisy all day round- especially at night), no tea or coffee facilities, pillows all filled with hard bits of foam so very uncomfortable and finally the TV is from 1960 and the fan (the only source of air circulation) is from the 1970s. Very poor. We had to fix our own toilet twice and the mini bar fridge was always empty.
Number 2. Breakfast. Don't expect a large buffet, it's just one type if ham, one type if cheese, one type of yoghurt, awful coffee, two types of bread, two types if cereal and two types of juice to choose from. Want anything hot? You have to pay through the nose. After 2 or 3 days of this you will soon wish you hadn't paid extra for bed and breakfast- go out to find breakfast is my strong advice.
Number 3. The pool. The pool bar is closed and has been since 2010 by admission if the hotel staff themselves. It's for decoration only. The pool is not heated and so freezing cold every day even at high sun -at first novel- but soon after, annoying. You have to ask for a parasol everyday (so annoying) and they are flimsy and so buckle easily. My strong advice once more is to skip this pool and go to the local lido about 10 mins walk to the east of the hotel.
Number 4. The facilities. Or the lack there of. The paintwork throughout is peeling, spots of missing tiles and un-trimmed plants provide trip and eye hazards respectively. The reception has a 1970s TV in it too small to see. Most annoying and gross of all was my girlfriend finding cockroaches in the reception toilet. After speaking to other guests they too saw them. The receptionist did nothing to combat this but instead regaled us of stories of past encounters. The bar closes very early, there is no entertainment and two out of the four reception staff are rude and couldn't care less.

In short - don't stay here. It may be well located as other people say, it may offer cheap rooms, but it's not four star it's two at best and a cockroach, dilapidated wreck.

Stayed July 2014
Estreito da Calheta, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We recently had our first stay in this hotel. What a great find.

The reception staff are so friendly and welcoming. The room very comfortable and a well appointed bathroom which, was in excellent condition.

Breakfast is good and, if you want something cooked, you can have that too and for only a very small extra charge. What a great idea.

The roof terrace is an extra bonus. A great placevto view the rooftops of Funchal.

We liked this hotel so much, we are going back again in a couple of weeks.

Room Tip: Just let the hotel what kind of room you would prefer.
Sussex, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We stayed as part of a group on a B&B basis. Seems to be popular with groups - perhaps there is a good rate.
Very central location.
Next best thing; hotel receptionists friendly and helpful and speak good English (if that's important for you).
Our room was on the street side. It was noisy during the day but not too bad at night. We were told rooms overlooking the courtyard are quieter. No air conditioning - we had to keep the fan running most of the time (early June) and the windows open to keep cool. Room decor a bit tired. Maids barely managed to keep the room clean. Our showering arrangement was a bit archaic, but it did work
Breakfasts served as very, very basic 'continental' type. Bread appeared fresh, but not much choice.
A tiny pool is located on the roof (6 stories up) within an area with chairs, tables and loungers. Good views of Funchal and surrounds from the roof.
Small bar with limited choice. Hotel appeared to serve main meals but we didn't try them.
Three stars only.

Room Tip: Rooms on the street side can be noisy.
East Kilbride
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

I must congratulate The Windsor on the service offered by Elsa. Most professional and friendly front of house, showing an interest in the guests. A great asset to the hotel. I was not a guest in the hotel but was able to use the swimming pool facilities for a rate, which was fantastic yo use due to public lido being closed as roadworks in centre of Funchal. Hotel is great location in middle of Funchal and with roof top swimming pool is lovely.

• Stayed June 2014
Durham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Got to the room and needed a shower ~ it didnt work. Why don't chamber maids check this type of thing?
Complained to the receptionist who got a plumber out whilst we were out. She then told me it was a temp repair and it would take a further 4 days to get it properly fixed. Luckily, we were only staying 1 night.
The hotel was very busy and they obviously had totally under estimated the breakfast needs Noe cereal worth speaking of, orange squash, coffee machine empty, no bread. Very poor

Torquay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

we enjoyed our stay .We found this time they had improved the restaurant and added a large room to seat everyone comfortably. The food we found well cooked with several choices .the staff are really very friendly and make you feel comfortable the receptionists are really helpful nothing is too much trouble .the waitresses are very good in fact all the staff are . overall we will stay there again .my husband says they could do with a bigger t v in the lounge so he can watch the football in the evenings (lol)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Windsor Hotel? Share your experiences!