“Brilliant Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Girassol

You added Hotel Girassol to your Saves list
Hotel Girassol
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Estrada Monumental 256, Funchal, Madeira 9004-539 , Portugal   |
Ranked #50 of 90 Hotels in Funchal
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Fabulous stay at this very friendly but efficient hotel. Our rooms were small suites and mine was a front sea view. (Most are sea view) The suites are modern with flat screen Sat.TV, phone comfy settee and arm chair, balcony. Full bathroom with shower over. Plenty of wardrobe space. Our group were on half board some nights and I found the selection of food good and for hotel cuisine I think it is very good. One night there was a poolside BBG with music and another night a local folklore group entertained us at dinner. The location is good with plenty of restaurants, bars and supermarkets close by and to walk to the centre of Funchal is only 20 minutes. The best part of the hotel experience is the wonderful staff. Very efficient, friendly and very helpful. Don't book anywhere else!

Room Tip: The further back you are the quieter it will be and the higher you are the better the view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Very nice hotel with excellent facilities in a great location.
Polite, pleasant staff.
The breakfast offered a variety and was served efficiently.
Pool was excellent and rooms were brilliant.
I left my jewellery here and the staff kindly found it and posted it back to the UK safely to me.
Thoroughly recommend this gem!

Room Tip: Top floor for those that are OK with heights
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bergen, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed at this hotel 4-12 August 2013. The room itself was very clean and comfortable although very warm despite a ceiling fan and an extra fan provided by the hotel. The only way we could cool the room down was to open the door and the balcony door to create a breeze. The hotel is situated by a noisy road! There was also no minibar so nowhere to keep water or drinks cool! Otherwise the hotel staff were very helpful, breakfast was satisfactory and the pool area was a nice place to relax.

Room Tip: Think it's probably best to stay in the main part of the hotel, we had a room off to the side of...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We've just spent a great week at the Hotel Girassol. We all loved it ! First impressions were a bit mixed. Its official rating is 4 star and to be honest, it looked plain from the outside and so too did the corridors. But that was the only negative aspect that we found. The Hotel was very clean and tidy. We booked a junior suite, and after reading a few reviews, I wasn't expecting anything much. I was very pleasantly surprised. Our suite was very clean, nicely decorated and very comfortable. We had a nice balcony (very private) and the room was air conditioned. I cant speak for other people, but I found all staff at the Hotel to be very helpful and friendly. The restaurant was great too. Again, after reading some of the reviews, I was not sure what to expect, but I had no complaints. We went half board, and found there was a good selection/choice at meal times and the food quality was very good. Staff in the restaurant were very pleasant and there was always someone nearby if we needed anything. The Girassol is in a good location too. There are a few very nice bars and an ice cream parlour just opposite, and the buses that run into Funchal stop slighty up the road. There is also a taxi rank nearby. We had a few bus trips into Funchal, which is a great place to go exploring. But if you don't like being very close to people, its better to take a taxi. The buses get very crowded, and usually, it was standing room only. There are some good places for lunch in Funchal. We all liked the 'Restaurant Arco Velha' best. Its easy to find, right opposite the cable car station. The AA guide to Madeira lists it as the 'café Arco Velha' so it threw me at first. The Hotel Rep was able to suggest a few more places to eat that were all within a minute or two of Arco Velha, so you cant go wrong. Another 'must see' is the Labourers Market. For all you Brummies, it put me in mind of the old Bullring Fish Market. Certainly worth a look. All in all, I had one of the best holidays ever and I really didn't want to come home.
If you are thinking of going to Madeira, then the Girassol is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: The Hotel does have some rooms that are specified as 'Quiet Rooms.' Apart from that. I would...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

We booked a holiday to take my mum away for her birthday. After reading reviews on here I was a little concerned, however we arrived our room was on the ninth floor and excellent suite room which was great as we have two children. Food also excellent I have a fussy 7 year old and he thought the food was great we were half board, breakfast plenty of fresh bread, bacon sausages, eggs, beans and fresh fruit, ham and cheese. Evening meals were excellent too, on Tuesday there was a BBQ by the pool, the pork was excellent! On Saturday Maderia dancers sang while we ate. All staff were delightful we had a great time and would defiantly return.

• Stayed August 2013
Gloucester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I have stayed six times or more. Some rooms have been refurbished some areas a little tired. But it is what it is and offers good value, especially on half board. But evening meals start too late and I have to offer a bribe to get a BROWN roll with my evening meal, This is ridiculous. I think it has a weak marketing dept., and client feedback.

Many staff have been there a lifetime. The location is very good for coastal walks and shops, buses.

The directors should not share their Christmas Meal with the guests. They should be absent, or serve the guests and staff?

However, I return this December again!

Irskine Riddle. UK

Room Tip: Request east for sunrise and beautiful panoramic views at night, or west side for afternoon sun. So...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We booked a last minute holiday at this 4 star hotel. After a very late arrival in the early hours of the morning, we were given a very tired and smelly room. We did not feel comfortable at all and there was a very poor view from the balcony onto concrete rooms and a bit of garden. However atfer breakfast the next morning, we asked at reception if it was possible to change to a nicer room. We were accommodated onto the 6th floor to a newly refurbished room with an OK view. We were very happy with this. All in all, I would say that this was a very nice hotel. It was quiet and pieceful and the pool area was very nice. It was mainly older people there and not many children so it was very relaxing. The pool bar staff were exceptional and I really felt that we were lucky to have such a peaceful hotel so near to the main town of Funchal. There are lots of restaurants nearby and a very good pub called the Hole in One. We loved the atmosphere there.
I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Girassol? Share your experiences!