Anyone who doesn't think this hotel is anything but excellent should not go on holiday as they are going to be disappointed wherever they go.
From the moment we were greeted at the airport to the moment we left, everything was just wonderful. The hotel staff were very professional yet warm and friendly. The restaurant was wonderful as you would expect from a Relais and Chateaux hotel. We had a complementary meal on the first night, and having visited Madiera several times in the past decided that their was no point in eating anywhere else when probably the best restaurant on the island was on our doorstep. The menu changed every night, and their were complimentary pre starter and pre dessert courses. The presentation of the food was stunning, and the food was delicious and generous. The Maitre de, Luis and his staff we attentive informative and great fun. The dress code seems to have been relaxed since earlier reviews, and I think the reviewer with the 'stylish white canvass shoes' might have got away with it now.
The golf course is fabulous, with five different tees on every hole to suit all standards of golfer, some very challenging holes, which become more playable once you know your way around. Billy Casper, the twice US Open and US Masters champion was playing the course on one of the days we were playing.The hotel will take you to the clubhouse if you wish, but it is a pleasant stroll from the hotel and you can store your clubs in the clubhouse where they are cleaned for you after every round. The hotel will clean your shoes whenever you wish. The starters and the clubhouse staff recognised us after the first day, and had our clubs and buggy waiting for us when we arrived.
The catering at the clubhouse is managed by the hotel, and shares the hotel waiting staff, and the food is of a very high standard and reasonably priced.
Between playing golf, eating lunch at the clubhouse, relaxing in the spa and dining at Casa Velha in the evening, we had no need to leave the grounds of the estate.
A fabulous holiday we will definately be back.
I have just read through the review and think it looks a bit like an advert for the hotel, if anybody reading the review want's to contact me I would be more than happy to confirm the validity of the review.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Casa Velha do Palheiro is a graceful 5 star Madeira country house hotel with 37 luxurious rooms.The hotel is situated next to the famous Palheiro Gardens, originally created over 200 years ago. Hotel facilities include: Championship golf course, full spa facilities including indoor and outdoor heated pools as well as a variety of treatments, fishing boat for whale and dolphin watching and big game fishing. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, HotelTravel.com, Priceline, Tingo, HotelsClick, BookingOdigeoWL, Jetsetter, Otel and Venere so you can book your Casa Velha do Palheiro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Velha Do Palheiro Hotel Funchal
- Casa Velha Do Palheiro Madeira/Funchal