It is easy to find several positive comments about the hotel: it is located close to the old town with its numerous restaurants, Monte cable-car has its starting point quite close, the market-hall with its exotic fishes and fruits is not far away, downtown area with its shops is also well within walking distance...
The hotel itself is modern, clean, with a spacious lobby and a good breakfast. It was a pleasure to start the day with a glass of sparkling wine and end the breakfast with coffee and pastel de nata. Unfortunately, the juice "machine" did not work properly all the time, producing very dilute juice..
The pools outside and inside are too shallow for proper swimming. It is slightly controversial, since those pools would be ideal for kids, but hotel policy does not allow kids....
We had our room on the ground floor facing the sea (which we actually did not see very well), indoor jacuzzi roof just in front of us. A great advantage was, that the room was very peaceful, no traffic noise or any disturbing voices from near-by restaurants. In size, it was so and so. It was not too small, but it could have been a little larger to make moving around easier. The only remark we want to mention, was the place of the door stopper in bathroom. It was placed immediately in front of the toilet, so you had a good chance to hit your toe on it.
The staff was polite, kind and helpful. We had a broken lamp in our bathroom. We mentioned it at the reception and new one was installed during our absence of a couple of hours. One small complaint we have: I reserved sauna in the morning, but when I tried to enter it in the evening, it was occupied, so some kind of confusion had happened and I was not able to use it,.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Porto Santa Maria lies at the water's edge in the very heart of Funchal's old centre. Its close relationship to the sea, the outstanding and exclusive views over the harbour where the cruise ships dock, its picturesque surroundings and the unique flavours of its cuisine result in genuine urban tranquility. A congenial hotel offering 146 rooms, restaurant, bars, direct access to the promenade, outdoor pool, indoor pool, SPA, gym, parking...all in the heart of the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Expedia, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Porto Santa Maria Hotel (Porto Bay) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Santa Maria Funchal
- Porto Santa Maria Hotel (Porto Bay) Madeira/Funchal