We stayed at this hotel between 30th September and 14th October, our room was on the first floor, room 163. It did look over the building works but we were not really affected by the noise. The location in the old town is ideal, as there are plenty of restaurants and various types of shops.
It was lovely to see the cruise ships coming in and going out. They were nearly every day. Also there is a sun terrace on the third floor, so the cruise ships can be viewed from there.
The room was good with cooking facilities (two electric rings), cooking utensils, kettle, etc. On this occasion they only filled the tea and coffee ingredients on the first day, along with a bottle of water and a bowl of fruit. When we stayed there last year, we had water every day and also the fruit was replenished.
The breakfast was very good, plenty to choose from, i.e. cereals, cooked breakfast, croissants, cold meats, fruit, etc. Lina the guest relations person was excellent, nothing was too much trouble.
We only had bed and breakfast on this occasion, last year we had half board for seven nights. We decided this year that as there are so many local restaurants nearby we would dine out. On a few occasions we ate in the hotel, and it was mainly in the bar area. We tended to share a meal as they are quite big.
We tried the restaurant by the yellow forte on three occasions, very good. Also the Chinese near the hotel was very good.
The indoor and outdoor pools were warm, we used the indoor pool every day, along with the Jacuzzi. This year there is an outdoor Jacuzzi which was a nice surprise. There was no problems with the sunbeds as there were plenty.
The 10 Euros compensation per person per day for the building works was a good idea, at the end of our stay we did not owe anything. The first time we have spent less than being at home.
We will definitely stay there again, a thoroughly enjoyable holiday.
Thank you to all the staff and especially Lina.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Porto Santa Maria lies at the water's edge in the very heart of Funchal's old centre. Its close relationship to the sea, the outstanding and exclusive views over the harbour where the cruise ships dock, its picturesque surroundings and the unique flavours of its cuisine result in genuine urban tranquility. A congenial hotel offering 146 rooms, restaurant, bars, direct access to the promenade, outdoor pool, indoor pool, SPA, gym, parking...all in the heart of the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Porto Santa Maria Hotel (Porto Bay) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Santa Maria Funchal
- Porto Santa Maria Hotel (Porto Bay) Madeira/Funchal