Just returned from a second visit to this lovely hotel. On arrival we were pleasantly surprised to have been appointed a free upgrade to a junior suite room, which as our daughter was with us on this trip, was most appreciated. A lovely room with sea view, very quiet too. We couldn't hear any building work with the windows closed and it wasn't particularly invasive when sat on the balcony.
There are some improvements being made to the already beautiful rooftop terrace, where, as returning guests, we were invited to a very pleasant wine and canapés get together one evening, the first one they had tried, which despite some cloudy weather, was very nice and it gave everyone the opportunity to chat with Lena and the General manager.
I would like to thank the hotel for surprising our daughter with a wonderful birthday cake in our room as it was her 21st whilst away, it really helped make her day extra special.
We received a 10 euro a day credit each which despite having lunch a couple of days and drinks and cocktails every night, were unable to use up!
For local restaurants we went to the Forte for daughters 21st and had a fabulous evening, (reserved a table prior to travelling via Best tables) we also enjoyed O'Tapassol upstairs on the balcony, Cidade Velha overlooking the sea (reserved a table for that a few hours before) and a really great meal at Gaviao Novo tucked away on the street of painted doors. We ate fabulously every night, never had a bad meal or single complaint.
On two days we arranged a driver via the hotel reception and had two glorious days travelling around the island with our own private (very good English speaking) chauffeur in very comfortable taxis. They can arrange set packages for days out but our driver was very flexible and helped us "chase the sun" on a cloudy day!
An excellent holiday and we look forward to returning when the works on the front are completed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Porto Santa Maria lies at the water's edge in the very heart of Funchal's old centre. Its close relationship to the sea, the outstanding and exclusive views over the harbour where the cruise ships dock, its picturesque surroundings and the unique flavours of its cuisine result in genuine urban tranquility. A congenial hotel offering 146 rooms, restaurant, bars, direct access to the promenade, outdoor pool, indoor pool, SPA, gym, parking...all in the heart of the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Tingo, HotelTravel.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere and Otel so you can book your Porto Santa Maria Hotel (Porto Bay) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Santa Maria Funchal
- Porto Santa Maria Hotel (Porto Bay) Madeira/Funchal