So much has already been written about the qualities of this hotel and I see no reason to disagree. For us however it was the location right in old town that made it so special. Before choosing this hotel we had looked at descriptions of other hotels mainly situated up on the hill beyond the harbour and the Santa Caterina Gardens. They looked very nice but they appeared to be surrounded by other hotels, rather than a "real" town. Furthermore they seemed to require a long walk or a short bus ride before you were properly in Funchal old town.
If you enjoy exploring the place you are visiting and want to do it independently by cable car, bus, boat or on foot, then the Porto Santa Maria is ideal. The cable car to Monte is two minutes away; one of the main bus terminals is only a little further; the lovely old town with its wide selection of restaurants is literally on the doorstep.
The hotel's allowance of 10 euros per person per day to compensate for the inconvenience of the construction work is very generous. We dined in the hotel two evenings and the allowance completely covered it.
At present, relaxing poolside in the hotel grounds during the daytime will have the background noise of some pretty serious construction work, but if, like us, you leave the hotel after breakfast and don't return until early evening, then the Hotel Porto Santa Maria is an excellent choice.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Santa Maria
- Porto Santa Maria Funchal
- Hotel Porto Santa Maria
- Porto Santa Maria Hotel (Porto Bay) Madeira/Funchal
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Porto Santa Maria lies at the water's edge in the very heart of Funchal's old centre. Its close relationship to the sea, the outstanding and exclusive views over the harbour where the cruise ships dock, its picturesque surroundings and the unique flavours of its cuisine result in genuine urban tranquility. A congenial hotel offering 146 rooms, restaurant, bars, direct access to the promenade, outdoor pool, indoor pool, SPA, gym, parking...all in the heart of the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Tingo, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Porto Santa Maria Hotel (Porto Bay) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.