My mother and I. Stayed here for 6 nights in February 2013. Room 112 not too far from the lift as requested. Twin bedded room with very comfortable beds (often on the island the hotels beds are quite firm, melia mar beds good too). Flat screen tv picture quality good, lots of channels. There is a table and 2 chairs and another chair with a desk area. Lighting good. There is a small kichenette sink, full Size fridge, 2 ring hob, cutlery, plates, glasses,etc. no microwave. however we did not use as on the first day i went to make a hot drink and when i turned the tap on ti fill the kettle there were Ants in it, they had come i presume from the water. i did report this to reception who said ants were a problem there. Bathroom good size plenty of hot water. I did notice however sometimes in the morning the water pressure wasn't brilliant from the shower probably due to amount of people using at same time. The bath was short as in a lot of hotels.the sea view rooms are with a supplement, we booked direct with hotel and paid €130 a night bed and breakfast for 2' the garden view rooms can overlook the public park which can be noisy. Also I noticed those rooms are faith smaller balconies. They do offer garden rooms with a view over their garden.garden rooms were €23 a night less. If you are having a sea view room I would suggest top floor the third for better views
Food. Breakfast great lots of choice other people's reviews cover this.
Dinner ate 2 nights buffet €25.50 per person per meal. Fab range of salads. Mains ok but on one evening fish was very dry there are sauces for some of the fish and meats. Deserts a great choice and cheese too. House wine was fine had glass each.
Service. The main greeter Lina was full of energy, worked for hotel for 20 years, covers all hotels in the group. Tea and coffee served in pots to your table always piping hot. Some staff very seriously looking and rarely smiling, a smile goes a long way. Efficiency of clearing use plates from tables very good.
Captains bar. Food good value. Omelette with salad and chips €9 for cheese and ham. I don't eat meat and asked for cheese and onion no problem. You see the menu but would like a different filling just ask. Toasted sandwich comes with wedges and coleslaw €4.90- salads around 10€. If you drink water buy a large bottle rather then 2 small bottles as the price works out better and more water. Large bottle = 4 small bottles. After one had eaten the plates were still left by us on more then one occasion for a long time afterwards. I also had problems getting the bill, one day I asked 5 times both in English and Portuguese and after a long wait it came. Some bar staff not efficient again one here who never smiles. Lina guest relations same lady breakfast greeter came to see us one day whilst eating there and she noted the comments, amazing next day service better.
Hotel adult only which is nice. The group has hotels that are family orientated in the lido area.
The outdoor pool is quite small plenty sun loungers. Bar in area serving light meals, ice cream and drinks. Indoor pool warm but only 1.10 m found it hard to swim in. Jacuzzi nice. Sauna didn't use takes 90 mins to heat up.
Works on promenade a little noisy at times. Hotel allocates € 10 pppn off the cost of food, treatments, drinks do charge items to your room otherwise you don't get the discount. You can not use for tips.
Hotel easy walking distance to cable car, town lots of restaurants nearby, the market,etc. I have lived in Funchal if you need help with anything regarding you holiday please message me happy to advise where I can
There is a terrace on third floor seating areas with lovely views over Funchal the fort and sea
I already done review on regency palace, in march there will be a review on the melia mar, also the royal garden hotel ponta Delgada Azores
Travelled with mother marked as friends category
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Porto Santa Maria lies at the water's edge in the very heart of Funchal's old centre. Its close relationship to the sea, the outstanding and exclusive views over the harbour where the cruise ships dock, its picturesque surroundings and the unique flavours of its cuisine result in genuine urban tranquility. A congenial hotel offering 146 rooms, restaurant, bars, direct access to the promenade, outdoor pool, indoor pool, SPA, gym, parking...all in the heart of the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Agoda, HotelTravel.com, Priceline, Low Cost Holidays and Odigeo so you can book your Porto Santa Maria Hotel (Porto Bay) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Santa Maria Funchal
- Porto Santa Maria Hotel (Porto Bay) Madeira/Funchal