We have just returned from a week at this hotel, staying half board in a junior suite with a sea view. The room was first rate, very spacious and clean. There is a handy kitchen area for preparing snacks with a fridge, kettle , crockery and cutlery.
The food in the restaurant is a grade up from say an H10 in Lanzarote. Service by an large is exceptional with very friendly helpful staff.
The position of the hotel is ideal. It is right in the old town next to the cable car. There are loads of places to eat and drink nearby. A great bakers just on the doorstep. If your a young person looking for a night life this is probably not the place for you. I'm 61 and I would think well below the median age! I would recommend the free wine tasting put on by the hotel. I learned a lot with a very good presenter and some good wines.
I think some of the reviews play down the disruption by the works going on. If you wanted to sit by the pool for long periods or go on the sunbeds it would be a problem. If you don't then the 10 Euros a day per person is good compensation, although for some reason a few people get upset it doesn't include tips!
If you are sometimes a bit boring, like me, it's worth noting tv has BBC 1 and ITV. Very good when you're tired after a bit of hill walking.
Funchal is very interesting. Locals and tourists really mingle and tourists are welcomed everywhere.
One small gripe our room wasn't ready when we arrived at 2.30, although lunch was provided for free while we waited. If you want a safe asked for the key when you check in. I noticed quite a few people at reception saying their safe wasn't working. I'm still not sure why this is not standard check in info.
All in all this hotel was really very good. I would recommend it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Porto Santa Maria lies at the water's edge in the very heart of Funchal's old centre. Its close relationship to the sea, the outstanding and exclusive views over the harbour where the cruise ships dock, its picturesque surroundings and the unique flavours of its cuisine result in genuine urban tranquility. A congenial hotel offering 146 rooms, restaurant, bars, direct access to the promenade, outdoor pool, indoor pool, SPA, gym, parking...all in the heart of the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Porto Santa Maria Hotel (Porto Bay) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Santa Maria Funchal
- Porto Santa Maria Hotel (Porto Bay) Madeira/Funchal