A 4 star rated hotel with 5 star quality. Can't rate this hotel highly enough - we have stayed at this hotel numerous times over the last 6/7 years and have always found all the staff - reception, restaurant, bar, housekeeping, pool, maintenance, gardening, etc - to be extremely friendly, helpful and efficient. They always greet you with a smile and nothing is too much trouble. The hotel is not in the Lido tourist area but is in Funchal itself close to the cable car, bus terminals, market, numerous restaurants and 10 mins walk from the marina. It is just off the promenade walk which is flat so there are no hills like at the Lido etc just small, gentle slopes enabling you to easily get out and about into town. Despite there being 'works' ongoing in front of the hotel the noise etc was not disruptive, in fact it was quite entertaining watching what was happening and the progress being made. It is also in a great location to see the cruise liners arriving/leaving although it sometimes feels like they are going to join you in the hotel they are that close! We have now been for all the major events - Xmas & New Year, Flower Festival and Carnival - and we'll be back again in October. The hotel does have a downside - the side rooms overlooking the park and cable car station do not have a view and are dark due to large, high trees and the park area can be noisy in the late evening/night.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Porto Santa Maria lies at the water's edge in the very heart of Funchal's old centre. Its close relationship to the sea, the outstanding and exclusive views over the harbour where the cruise ships dock, its picturesque surroundings and the unique flavours of its cuisine result in genuine urban tranquility. A congenial hotel offering 146 rooms, restaurant, bars, direct access to the promenade, outdoor pool, indoor pool, SPA, gym, parking...all in the heart of the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Travelocity, Priceline, HotelTravel.com, Low Cost Holidays and Odigeo so you can book your Porto Santa Maria Hotel (Porto Bay) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Santa Maria Funchal
- Porto Santa Maria Hotel (Porto Bay) Madeira/Funchal