Stayed 21st to 28th of January, had a great week, largely due to the unseasonably good weather, but in no small part down to the hotel and it's staff. Yes, we were aware of the work going on before going, as we received a letter about it, and letting us know we would receive 10€ a day each to ease the pain. A nice gesture, and with half price happy hour every evening, it went a long way to doing just that! The noise stops for lunch, and being out and about most days, we did not find it that intrusive.
We had booked a junior suite with a sea view, and it was very comfortable, with a tv in both bedroom and lounge, a separate small kitchenette (never used for anything other than making coffee and putting wine in the fridge, but very handy), and a good sized ensuite with two separate basins. We had a double balcony with a perfect view, never saw a mossie (slept with door open and net curtain closed), and the room was cleaned promptly each day to a high standard.
Buffet breakfast was fine, but they do not make good coffee, however service super efficient and friendly. We ate in three nights, and thought it was terrific value and really very good, their degustation menu being a highlight.
The hotel definitely benefits from being on the flat, with easy walking into town, or to local restaurants. Finally a mention for two of the staff: Lena, the customer services manager, is omnipresent! Breakfast, lunchtime at the pool, and dinner, hopefully the poor girl gets some time off! A really useful addittion, loads of useful information, every hotel should have a Lena. And finally the Manager, often around, very engaging, a great advert for Port Bay Hotels. Not our first stay with Porto Bay, but our first at Santa Maria, and I can now see why most of the reviews are glowing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Porto Santa Maria lies at the water's edge in the very heart of Funchal's old centre. Its close relationship to the sea, the outstanding and exclusive views over the harbour where the cruise ships dock, its picturesque surroundings and the unique flavours of its cuisine result in genuine urban tranquility. A congenial hotel offering 146 rooms, restaurant, bars, direct access to the promenade, outdoor pool, indoor pool, SPA, gym, parking...all in the heart of the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and HotelTravel.com so you can book your Porto Santa Maria Hotel (Porto Bay) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Santa Maria Funchal
- Porto Santa Maria Hotel (Porto Bay) Madeira/Funchal