Good points -
great location - any noise from the sea defence work was balanced by the fascination of watching the machines at work and since we were out most of the time this didn't bother us.
Whole place was spotless and we loved the flower arrangements.
Pool and jacuzzi were quiet and we enjoyed the warmth - especially after the outside pool which was decidedly chilly.
We had a garden room which was a good size, faced the garden and had a partial view of the sea - so ideal and no need to pay extra for a sea view.
Buffet was ideal and had lots of choice - still missing the breakfast egg custard tarts!
Friendly and helpful waiting staff and of course the redoutable Lena
Not so good:
Constant background low level noise( probably from a/c) especially noticable at night
Poor service on the gourmet night - we noticed the difference when Lena wasn't around!
Entertainment could be better quality and there's not a lot to do in the hotel if the weather is poor.
Reception staff were a mixed bunch - a couple of really friendly ones and one particularly grumpy one.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Porto Santa Maria lies at the water's edge in the very heart of Funchal's old centre. Its close relationship to the sea, the outstanding and exclusive views over the harbour where the cruise ships dock, its picturesque surroundings and the unique flavours of its cuisine result in genuine urban tranquility. A congenial hotel offering 146 rooms, restaurant, bars, direct access to the promenade, outdoor pool, indoor pool, SPA, gym, parking...all in the heart of the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Porto Santa Maria Hotel (Porto Bay) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Santa Maria Funchal
- Porto Santa Maria Hotel (Porto Bay) Madeira/Funchal