Deciding to holiday over Christmas and New Year 2013 we had chosen Madeira on recommendation of friends. As this was our first visit to Madeira, how fortunate we were to have chosen the ‘PORTO SANTA MARIA’ Hotel.
On arrival at the hotel we were immediately impressed by the efficient check in and the fact that our luggage was ready and waiting in our room by the time we got there. The room (a ground floor sea facing twin) was everything we could have wished for with a small balcony leading to the garden and pool area. We especially liked the small kitchen area with a fridge allowing us to keep cold drinks & wine, plus could make tea and coffee when ever desired.
There was a Christmas banquet on our first night being Christmas Eve, this was truly spectacular and was our first introduction to the remarkably friendly and efficient restaurant staff that we came to look on as friends by the end of our two weeks. Special mention must be made of all the restaurant staff; Lina (PR) and Catia (waitress) who gave us such excellent service and always welcomed us making us feel very special.
We found the location of the hotel excellent with the Old town being close to the hotel with numerous restaurants should you wish for a change from the hotel restaurant, we rather enjoyed the banter with the restaurant staff who attempted to persuade you to enter their restaurant (plus the delicious food)
Finally mention must be made of the Massages Beauty Spa which we only used on one occasion but the treatments were excellent and which will be high on our list of things to do next time.
Without doubt one of the best hotels we have stayed at and we have already booked to return next Christmas and to celebrate New Year 2014.
Using the Yellow or Red Bus tours is well worth the money paid as you hop on and off; the ticket for the yellow bus being usable over two days allowing one to see as much as possible of Funchal, not forgetting the wonderful, colourful FUNCHAL CHRISTMAS LIGHTS that are a delight including all the Christmas scenes.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Porto Santa Maria lies at the water's edge in the very heart of Funchal's old centre. Its close relationship to the sea, the outstanding and exclusive views over the harbour where the cruise ships dock, its picturesque surroundings and the unique flavours of its cuisine result in genuine urban tranquility. A congenial hotel offering 146 rooms, restaurant, bars, direct access to the promenade, outdoor pool, indoor pool, SPA, gym, parking...all in the heart of the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelTravel.com, Priceline, Agoda, Travelocity, Low Cost Holidays and Odigeo so you can book your Porto Santa Maria Hotel (Porto Bay) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Santa Maria Funchal
- Porto Santa Maria Hotel (Porto Bay) Madeira/Funchal