I arrived at 11.45 to a long queue of people trying to check-in one man on his own trying to check people in and sell them the evening meal deals. After 20 minutes a lady arrives to serve me and advise me that people are still in my room. I was told to come back in 15 minutes so I sat in the lounge. I returned to be told it would be longer and was given a voucher for a drink at the pool so I sat for 30 minutes before trying again. Finally I got my room keys at nearly 1pm.
My Room - number 413 was a nice size with a balcony overlooking the pool of the hotel next door The Miramar Hotel. I had 2 single beds pushed together. My bed was clean and comfortable. Plenty of pillows. Room temperature was fine. There was a small 2 ring hob, sink, kettle and some plates cutlery and cups. Plenty of storage space and ample coat hangers. TV phone table 2 chairs and table 2 chairs on the balcony. No internal or external noise. You can hear the music from the entertainment of an early evening but it finishes at a reasonable time.
The Bathroom - was a fair size. The bath had a shower in it. Toilet and be day. Plenty of towels including a beach towel each. Hairdryer, shampoo,gel and soaps replaced everyday. I had to ring down one day as no beach towels were left by the maid. It was difficult to get them dry over the washing line over the bath. Hotel policy not to hang them over the balcony. Shower was hot every time I used it.
The Pools, Gardens and Spa - The hotel has a big outdoor pool 19 degrees in temperature during my stay so I had it to myself most of the time! Plenty of loungers. The pool was open daily from 8am to 8pm. The pool bar was open until 6pm. You can use the indoor pool at The Miramar Hotel next door which I did. I would rather swim outside to be honest. Exercise room with Jacuzzi and Sauna which were nice and not busy. The hotel is set in beautiful gardens which you can walk around.
Food - Breakfast all looked and tasted very good but the hot breakfast was barely lukewarm in fact the baked beans were cold everyday. Fried and boiled eggs everyday. Bacon? mini sausage and sautéed mushrooms. Fresh cooked pancakes everyday. Plenty of fresh warm bread and rolls. Cereals, ham, cheese, yogurt and fresh fruit bananas and pineapple. Fruit juices tea and coffee.
Evening Meal 7pm - Buffet style. Soup of the day - in four days I had Tomato, Wheat, Potato and Pea soup all home made and very nice. Plenty of fresh bread and rolls. 4 different main dishes including beef lasagne, chicken in garlic, roast lamb and a fish of the day. Roast beef and pineapple one day. Potatoes, vegetables and a salad bar everyday. Dessert counter including creme caramel, chocolate gateau and fresh fruit. Half of Coral Beer/can of Diet Coke with my evening meal cost me E3.15 each.
Internet - free slow internet access at reception which did get busy with people waiting. Free Wi-Fi in public areas. Evening Entertainment was somebody singing/playing live ok if thats your kind of thing.
There is a Spar Supermarket a couple of minutes down the road. 2 pints of milk for E1.13 good supply of wines, beers and groceries. I brought a Giro card which costs 50c then E1.35 per bus journey or you can pay E1.95 on the bus per journey. The bus into Funchal stops outside the hotel. I did 4 single journeys which were very overcrowded. The walk into town is downhill 15 - 20 minutes.
Only downside really was the Reception there was always a queue of people waiting and normally one man serving.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The architectural design of Pestana Village and the landscaping of its gardens have been especially planned to be in harmony with the natural beauty and tranquility of the resort’s setting. This sensitivity to the environment will give the resort a truly village-like feel, with low-rise traditional style buildings surrounded by a wealth of colorful and immaculately cared-for gardens. The Pestana Village shares the grounds and services of the Pestana Miramar Hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Tingo, HotelsClick, BookingOdigeoWL, Agoda, Despegar.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your Pestana Village Garden Resort Aparthotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pestana Village Garden Resort Aparthotel Hotel Funchal
- Pestana Village Garden Funchal
- Pestana Village Garden Hotel Aparthotel
- Pestana Hotel Funchal
- Pestana Village Garden Resort Aparthotel Madeira/Funchal