This hotel is a really good choice for Madeira, for the following reasons:
1. Within walking distance of Funchal old town, the harbour, the coastal promenade, etc. Also on a bus route for all of these.
2. It is set in THE most beautiful gardens: a huge bonus to come back from a few hours' out and about, and lie on a sunbed in the gardens.
3. The staff are friendly and helpful, especially Carlos Bruge.
4. It is all exceptionally clean.
5. You have a choice of restaurants onsite, as well as several restaurants within easy walking distance. The best restaurant on the complex, by far, is the Miramar. Best service too.
6. We had 2 minor problems whilst staying, and both were dealt with immediately and professionally.
We weren't 100% keen on:
a. Certain aspects of the breakfasts.
b. Most staff were wonderful but the occasional one was surly, whcih rather let the hotel down.
c. The service lacked consistency. Sometimes brilliant, and at other times not so good.