Having stayed in Funchal several times previously we had often noticed the Miramar and commented on how nice it looked but worried about it's proximity to the main road.However this year we decided to stay and were very glad we did.The hotel is set up and back from the main road and turned out to be one of the quietest we had stayed in.The Miramar is the original hotel to which the Pestana Garden Village resort has been added.The foyer and public areas are fabulous with marble floors antique rugs and furniture exuding an air of bygone quality.The staff are exceedingly courteous and efficient and check in was swift with bags taken to our room.We travelled with our 2 teenage children and had 2 studio classic rooms on the 4th floor with lovely garden views overlooking the pool.The rooms included table and chairs,a balcony a small 2 ring hob and kitchenette a fridge and bathroom with shower over bath ,bidet and toilet.The TV was an old one but had a good selection of satellite channels.The rooms were cleaned daily with thick fresh towels and were kept spotlessly clean.The rooms were quiet and the beds comfortable.Air con units were in each room.There was always piping hot water and the shower pressure high.Breakfast was included and was a very good buffet in the main hotel restaurant used by both hotels (there are additional hotel restaurants available for evening meals).Breakfast included a wide selection of breads/pastries cold meats/cheese fresh fruit,yoghurt,full cooked breakfast and fresh pancakes made to order.Again staff service very efficient with used plates and cutlery removed almost as soon as you'd finished.Breakfast is served between 7am and 10am but a note of caution for late risers,if you arrive just before 10 make sure you stock up in one trip as the food was cleared away pretty rapidly after about 10.15 each day.
The hotel is ideally positioned almost equidistant between the centre of Funchal and the Lido area almost opposite the entrance of Reids Hotel.It is a very pleasant walk into Funchal or there are many local buses which stop outside the entrance.Immediately outside the hotel there is a spar shop and a very good local coffee shop and bakers with delicious breads and cakes.The hotel complex has 2 outdoor pools and a warm indoor pool.The grounds are beautiful and peaceful with palm trees and exotic looking flowers.If you follow the footpath through the garden village resort you will see some of the larger self catering units and also come across the hotel's own plant nursery which presumably they use to replenish the gardens with each year.There are a selection of restaurants in the hotel available for evening meals which looked nice although we didn't use them as they were much more expensive than nearby restaurants.There is a pool bar open for snacks and lunches during the day but again you pay a premium for it.Christmas is a wonderful time to visit Madeira and the hotel's reception areas were all beautifully decorated.All in all an excellent hotel and we would love to return again in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On the premises of the historic and elegant hotel Miramar, which was built in 1924 and considered a very special place to stay, the new Pestana Miramar Hotel benefits of the attention given to the architecture and landscaping of its gardens. The Pestana Miramar shares the grounds and services of the Pestana Village Hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Odigeo and HotelTravel.com so you can book your Pestana Miramar Garden Resort Aparthotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pestana Miramar Garden Resort Aparthotel Hotel Funchal
- Pestana Miramar Garden Funchal
- Pestana Miramar Garden Hotel Aparthotel
- Pestana Miramar Garden Resort Aparthotel Madeira/Funchal