“The Only Place We Stay In Madeira” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pestana Miramar Garden Resort Aparthotel

Save Saved
You added Pestana Miramar Garden Resort Aparthotel to your Saves list
Pestana Miramar Garden Resort Aparthotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Estrada Monumental 182-184, Funchal, Madeira 9000-098, Portugal   |
Ranked #31 of 91 hotels in Funchal
Acushnet, Massachusetts
“The Only Place We Stay In Madeira”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We have travelled to Madeira on three occasions and although we have lots of family there we always stay at Pestana Miramar. We initially were introduced to the hotel when we traded our time share week. We did this twice and then rented once on our own.
When you compare Miramar to another highly popular hotel where we once stayed, we find there is no comparison. The ambience, the lush gardens, the well maintained apartments, the cleanliness, the staff and the views add up to a wonderful stay. Travelling with grown children and teenage grandchildren on this vacation, we got to sit by and use the pools for the first time. Lovely and immaculate, it is evident that this hotel takes pride in the care and maintenance of its facility and grounds.We ate breakfast several mornings in the hotel diningroom and found the quality and selection to be top notch. Several mornings, while the kids "slept in" I went off on my own for an early breakfast at the bakery around the corner from the hotel. After my second visit the server greeted me with my "usual" tea and pastry, handed me the local newspaper and we conversed in Portuguese. .It was wonderful to treated like a local!
The pool bar at Miramar was open every night and my grown children enjoyed watching the world cup soccer matches along with guests from several different countries. The Bartenders (both named Bruno) had the best sense of humor and kept the patrons laughing.There was entertainment by the pool a few nights while we were there but the hotel itself is quiet and tranquil. The bus to the center of Funchal stops right across the street. Shopping, restaurants, bakeries and markets are very close by. The bus service is the way to go,.Easy to understand, it makes several stops. A wonderful shopping mall in the center of Funchal called La Dolce Vita has lovely shops and even a full size market on the lower level. If you are a shopaholic or just want to buy souveniers to take home, you will have no trouble finding something you like. And finding a great restaurant is no problem , what is difficult is deciding which one to chose! Funchal is very Cosmopolitan but the people of Madeira make you feel welcome in their country. Shopkeepers, waitstaff, tour guides etc.are friendly and engaging. There are so many beautiful sights to see including the Aquival building for searching one's Madeiran heritage. The mountains, the sea, the flowers, the history and the quaint rural villages will captivate you while you are there. Madeira is amazing and as a Portuguese song says "No where on earth is there any equal". So True!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

189 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We have stayed in the garden resort and is very quiet and well laid out with lush gardens and plenty of places to sun bath with two pools and an in door one if you want to get out of the sun.
Very friendly staff front desk and pool side.
Expensive to eat and drink which we didn't take advantage of and chose to eat else where as Funchal town centre is a nice walk about 20+ mins but worth it.

Room Tip: If you have children go for a ground floor apartment all are a good standard and cleaned daily.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We occupied a two bedroom/two bathroom apartment at the Pestana Miramar and were very pleased with our experience overall. The location is good, opposite Reids Hotel and close to an Aerobus (5 Euro per person transfer from the airport) and local bus stop. The hotel is also easily accessible to those who struggle with steps, via a lift from street level to all floors.

Our apartment was well equipped and decorated (though a little dated in style) and of a good size, but the kitchen area was only really large enough for one person to occupy at a time. The appartment was efficiently air conditioned throughout, which was a bonus; a safe is also available free of charge.

The main attraction of the Miramar is how quiet it is, set in leafy grounds and set back from the road. There are also outdoor and indoor freshwater pools, which were never over-busy.

The Miramar is co-located with the Pestana Village Hotel and the resulting mixture of buildings and floors is very confusing. The Pestana Village was a busier, less relaxed place, but seemed to have better facilities than the Miramar. For example, the restaurants and bars of the Village appear to cater for both hotels and the attractive bars and restaurants of the Miramar were frequently closed or found to be deserted.

If you hope for free wi-fi access, this is to be found in the Village Hotel, in a small apartment set aside for the purpose. This is far from convenient - why not add a wi-fi access point to the mostly empty guest lounge at the Miramar?

The staff of both hotels were helpful, although we experienced the usual sales pitch for the Pestana "Options" timeshare scheme and attempts to sell excursions etc. from the "owner relations" team (there was some useful local information passed on as well). We had little need of further help - Giro bus tickets can be purchased from the newsagent down the street and there is a booking office for tours, offering good value, a few minutes away. The Pestana discount card is worth getting however and gave us 10% off several local restaurant menus.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
PVMH, Manager at Pestana Miramar Garden Resort Aparthotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

It gave us great pelasure to read your comments on your recent stay in our Resort.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back.
Brighton, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed in an apartment with a twin bedroom and a sofa-bed in the living room. It was well equipped and had everything a family of 4 could need. The Miramar and the Village hotel share facilities, and together thay had 3 pools ( 1 indoor),a pool and games room, table tennis, library and beautiful grounds for walking or lazing in. The staff were wonderful, helpful and friendly. The breakfasts were fantastic. You could walk into Funchal in 20 minutes, but we tended to get the bus in. The buses were really easy to use, you get a swipe card and can add journeys on as you need them (€1.20). Also buses round the whole island were easy to use, cheap and punctual.
The only down sides were that our apartment was on a main road-not so lovely for sitting out on the balcony. Also, it was imposible to swim in the sea any where near the hotel, as all the hotels on the sea front had exclusive access. I had thought I could snorkel off the Lido swimming complex, but that is closed at the moment. I went to Praia Formosa in the end (15 min bus ride).
All in all, a really lovely hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your kind review on your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you again.
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We stayed here for a week in July 2012 using some of our RCI points. This is a well appointed hotel in lovely beautifully maintained grounds and gardens which it shares with the Pestana Village. Our apartment was clean and well furnished and decorated with a balcony overlooking the grounds which did not get any direct sunlight. This proved to be a great boon as the weather was very hot for Madeira...up to 37c, which is quite unusual and helped to keep our apartment cool although we had to use the aircon quite extensively in these high temperatures. The hotel is well located for a number of excellent eateries. We didn't use the hotel restaurant and bar facilities and can't speak for these. Hotel staff were friendly and efficient. The apartment was cleaned and beds made up every day.

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor looking out onto the front grounds. It would not be ideal for sun w...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
PVMH, Manager at Pestana Miramar Garden Resort Aparthotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments on our resort. We are pleased that you have had an enjoyable stay with us.

We hope we can welcome you back again.
Sedona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I was on vacation there mid-May to early June. While in the gym, I tripped down the stairs, and my injuries are still causing me a significant amount of pain. I believe, I have been remiss in my duty to bring to your attention a fact, I did not mention previously. While traversing the stairs at a similar angle, earlier, I took a small tumble; however, I only twisted my ankle a bit. Given, later, I carefully walk down the stairs (to avoid a fall) at the same angle (towards the treadmill,) and then fell seriously injuring my knee, to include my elbow and hip, both of which I underestimated as more than a minor problem with which to be concerned. I am glad the staff got me some ice, but it would have been nice if they suggested that I see a doctor. Yes, my responsibility but if it was me, I would have insisted on the person seeing a doctor. As a Vietnam era Veteran I am used to carrying pain until I drop; old habits/conditionings are hard to let go of, and it was not a wise thing, on my part, to not immediately seek medical assistance.

One added concern, when reaching out for legal advice, no lawyer in Madeira, which I contacted, got back with me to discuss what had happened. I have no idea of whether or not someone else had fallen off those stairs and broken something.

If someone else a little older or more fragile took the same unfortunate route, they would not have been as fortunate as I was. My injuries have not healed as yet, and I will not know until my next visit to the doctor if his diagnosis and previous treatments were sufficient for a complete recovery. My biggest concern at the moment is, given, I fell twice, I believe there is an unclear problem with walking down the stairs on a certain angle near the left pole in the gym. As I have already indicated, if this problem is not attended to, the next person to take the same path may break her or his leg or arm and fracture a hip...

The room was nice, though the sitting furniture was a little uncomfortable and the beds a little hard. There was no radio and so on. The rug was very clean but looked like it accumulated years’ worth of stains. I did find setting on the balcony the balcony and walking throughout the hotel and grounds extremely relaxing. The room included a very condensed kitchen space with everything I needed; however, the fire alarms are highly sensitive while frying foods like fish. A funny story, I run up a phone charge of over 56 euros for a 14-minute call, to a number I thought to be toll free. Except for a slip and fall, twice, in the gym which caused me an extreme amount of pain and suffering on my vacation, which became more problematic after returning home, I found my stay pleasant. As far as shopping at the grocery store, I found a major saving by using the larger stores: there is one a nice little walk from the hotel, to the right. Having been in the desert for years, being surrounded by ocean air and a large variety of trees…, it was amazing. I found the tours on the island a bit boring, but I meet some fantastic people. I also enjoyed the drive up above the clouds. Taking photos above the clouds was a new experience for me. Being an American, and weathering the loss of value against the dollar EURO, I found myself being a little too cautious about spending. I did find the ocean tours and the sighting of dolphins quite satisfying. The center of town is a twenty to thirty-minute walk that passes a casino/weekend nightclub and a peacefulness provoking park. There are no beaches on Madeira but there are beaches on Porto Santo, ferry ride away. If not for the accident, I would had the most restful and enjoyable vacation of my life.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Orkney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We went to Madeira at Easter (I know I should have written this before now!)

We had initially contacted about transport to the resort and whilst they did not directly provide any they did arrange for a taxi to be waiting for us.

Check in was quick in and easy, even though we arrived quit eearly in the day. The porter was slightly confused as to teh location of our room which was slightly worryingbut it became clear when he found it (very quickly). We were in an apartment which had been used as a demonstration/show apartment. I don't know if the accounted for it's spaciousness or not.

We did have a quite huge balacony however between the perimeter wall and the rest of the hotel there was not a lot of sun on it.

There is a local bakery and a spar shop is just around the corner and supplied all our breakfasts and snacks. We priced the breakfast deal and reckoned we could save a hundred euros by eating from there!

We found that the Miramir was within easy walking distance of most things in Funchal itself and a taxi ride back to the hotel if you didn't fancy walking back up the hill was relatively cheap.

There are plenty restaurants near to the resort if you fancy a walk in the evening and not always eating in the resort, not that the resort hotels were overpriced, we just fancied sampling the local area.

We found all the staff to be friendly with an excellent command of English. We avoided the "welcome cocktails" tiemshare talk and were never bothered once during our weekend to attend anything.

Room Tip: All rooms have balconies but not all have views.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments, as the saying goes: It is better late than never.

We hope we can welcoming you back in the future.

Been to Pestana Miramar Garden Resort Aparthotel? Share your experiences!