“Lovely building” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pestana Casino Park Hotel

You added Pestana Casino Park Hotel to your Saves list
Pestana Casino Park Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rua Imperatriz D. Amelia, 55 | Quinta da Vigia, Funchal, Madeira 9004-513, Portugal   |
Ranked #32 of 89 Hotels in Funchal
Perth, United Kingdom
“Lovely building”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

The Hotel is a grand statement overlooking the town and harbour. Yes it is dated and maybe not a true 5 star hotel, but the food and staff were excellent. It is only a short walk along a busy road into town but it is quite steep when you walk back.
We would stay again which is a plus point but don't expect it to be 5 star because it is not.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We went with a group of friends for New Year - we asked and got a lovely room on the 4th Floor overlooking the harbour.

This was our second visit in 2012 - the first time we had a Garden View Room. This time a Side Sea View Room.

Reception seemed very disorganised this time - a lot of staff we did not recognise. The check-in was not smooth - not all papers asked for. Also our room did not become reday until late afternoon though the Hotel knew we were arriving realy morning because of flights.

We have never had a problem with noise at this Hotel until this time - must be party time. On 30 December there was a private party in the Conference Centre with very very loud music that penetrated the double glazing until well after 4 am. IN UK this would be antisocial and the Police and LA would have intervened. We have formally complained to the Hotel and the Tourist Authorities. My advice if you are going during the party season ask for a room at the rear of the Hotel .

Breakfast has also changed - self service for tea/coffee - thus less staff. Tables cleared more slowly.

Having said that we all enjoyed the fireworks and te Christmas lights - not to be missed !!!

Room Tip: The rear rooms looking towards Reads are the quietest
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
RicardoLeal, Manager at Pestana Casino Park Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Tripadvisor Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your very positive comments.
The fact you have enjoyed your stay with us and took the time to gives feedback it’s the best award we can get and that’s what makes work even harder to meet all our guests’ expectations! Thank you!

We are now looking forward to the pleasure of meeting you back soon at the Pestana Casino Park Hotel.
Kindest regards from the Sunny Madeira!

Ricardo Leal
Unit Manager
HERTFORDSHIRE UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed there twice some years ago and went back over the New Year. So great to find that it was as good - if not even better - than before. Stylish slick hotel in a great position, relatively near town (short walk through the park) and overlooking the coastline. Wonderful dining room with that slope to make your grand entrance and meet up with friends over a great dinner. WIll be going back!

Room Tip: Choose hillside or bay view - all good in their own way!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Arrived and greeted warmly, the check in was swift and our bags were taken care of whilst we checked out the hotel facilities. Staff here are really helpful and friendly.
Bedrooms were spacious and comfortable. Lots of clothing space and the balcony was a great size also. Towels and robes changed daily. We stayed on the 4th floor, partial sea view but the most amazing view of the hills which more than made up for it.

Outside area has a lovely bar over looking the harbour, little space around the pool but we didn’t find it too hard to get a couple of loungers. Pool could be bigger, but again never too much trouble, you just picked you time. From the pool again you have some terrific views of the Atlantic. The only negative of the outside area was that there was not enough games. One table tennis table out of the way and not kept well and same with tennis court, should be some more outdoor activities but I suppose this isn’t a massively family hotel.

Inside spa area is amazing, better than some spas in the UK. Refreshing after a day in the sun. The gym is small, but who goes to the gym on holiday?!
We stayed B&B, breakfast were great for a big hotel. Staff organised and things never too much trouble for them. I had an omelette made daily, chef knew me by the end of the week!!

Location of this hotel was brilliant for us; we had never been to Madeira but never tend to worry about location of hotels where ever we stay. Short walk away from the harbour, bars, restaurants and super markets. Travel information is within a stones throw away where we organised trips around the island; Tour, Cable Cars and wine tasting.

We decided to splash out on the last night and are we grateful we saved the best til last. We went to Beef and Wine restaurant (trip advisor #3 in Funchal), only 5mins walk away. The food here is unbelievable, I had the pichana which is beef cooked on a long skewer which is carved for you individually until you can eat no more. Beef fell off the skewer and can be as rare as you like it. The wine menu was vast, we asked the waiter what was new he had in and came out with a delicious bottle of red that we ended up having too. Not too expensive, but can be depending on your taste in wine but definitely worth a visit. Staff were brilliant!

If I ever return, it will be here

Room Tip: Ask for views looking towards casino and you will get views of the hills and sea. The views first th...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Sintra, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Superb hotel, located just 5 min walking distance from the center. Pestana is one of the best in Portugal.
It's one of the oldest and most important hotels from Madeira, designed by Oscar Niemeyer, one of the top architects in the world.
It's definitely a good 4 star hotel, would not rate as five stars. The staff is nice and attentive, the rooms are clean and confortable. Could improve the breakast, but was ok.
Choose a room with views to the ocean/harbour, and if you're there at new years eve you will love it !

There are other hotels much more recent and modern, but you will have a nice stay here for sure! If i return to Madeira in a near future, probably will stay here again.

Room Tip: choose view to the harbour/ocean
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Tripadvisor Reviewer,
Thank you very much for sharing your opinon about Pestana Casino Park Hotel with others. Thank you very much for your comments about our services, faciliteis and staff.
Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon and assuring you of our best attention at all times we remain with kindest regards!

Ricardo Leal
Unit Manager
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We have recently returned from the Casino Park Hotel. We were originally booked into Pestana Bay on an All Inclusive basis, but as this was closed due to re-furbishment we were 'upgraded' to the 5* Casino Park. My family and I have never stayed AI before and were really looking forward to this Christmas treat.
The Hotel itself was lovely; we were welcomed through the main entrance, although reception staff were quite slow. Our rooms were lovely, clean, tidy and maintained daily. All the common areas were well kept, bars, restaurants lobby areas etc.
Our first night was awful, our room was opposite the Casino and as this was the start of the party season we were kept awake all night. The next morning I politely asked if we could be moved as lack of sleep was not an option. I was told, quite rudely, that I had booked a garden view room (Casino view), I was given a garden view room (Casino view) and to be moved to a sea view room would incur quite a substantial charge. I politely informed the lady on reception that not only had I NOT booked a garden view room but I hadn’t even booked THIS Hotel! After talking to her colleague very loudly, and quite aggressively in Portuguese, which I don’t speak so didn’t understand, she offered us an alternative. This room was far better and much more comfortable.
The problems began shortly after we started exploring the Hotel, it became quite clear very quickly that those of us who were AI, wearing the white identifiable wrist bands were made to feel like second class citizens, not only by other non-AI guests (mostly German) but more annoyingly by Hotel staff.
All bar areas were separated – it was like them and us – we were only offered a very limited selection of non-alcoholic & alcoholic drinks and were made to stand around waiting for service while paying guests were made to feel like royalty. We had to clear our own tables, were shouted out by the staff on the poolside bar for not showing our bands properly. I was ordered to use the coffee machine inside the hotel as the one at the pool bar was broken (it had been for 3 days!) and the staff member refused to make me a coffee even though he was happily making hot drinks for paying guests.
The bar staff had a massive problem with all AI guests, they clearly felt we weren’t paying guests so weren’t entitled to service. What they fail to understand or care about was the fact that we had in fact already paid for our drinks (almost £3000 worth). On my first visit to the pool side bar my friend asked what wine was available, the bar man replied “it’s free so what does it matter” – this was a disgraceful response but he didn’t seem to care. Bar staff need to be made aware that all guests are to be treated the same way and just because I wasn’t paying per drink the drinks weren’t in fact free and had been paid for in advance.
We did complain about the appalling service we received to Management, I don’t think we were taken seriously though, even though one of the occasions I was complaining about was Christmas day and there was only one member of staff working at the pool bar on this day I was sent around the hotel to try and find out what his name was – surely there must be a schedule for staff where management would be able to check which staff members were working on which day?? I couldn’t find him so was unable to give his name. Management could do no more!
This was clearly not an AI hotel and I’m sure for those guests not expecting and AI service was perfectly acceptable, but at the end of the day I didn’t book this Hotel and I was offered it as a comparable alternative to my original booking, on inspecting my original booking information it seems that what I would have received at Pestana Bay and what I actually received at Casino Park were two completely different things!
This experience hasn’t ruined my view of Madeira which was beautiful, it hasn’t necessarily ruined my view of All Inclusive hotels, but it has unfortunately ruined my view of the Pestana Hotel Group – I have given them my hard earned money for the first and last time.

Room Tip: Avoid garden view rooms - most are opposite the Casino and can be noisy
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night on a Business trip.
The check in was smooth. I had a sea view room, the room was clean and spacious.
Small Balcony with table and chairs. Mini Bar, toileteries in the bathroom, double sink in the bathroom. Fluffy bathrobes in the Wardrobe and a Safe.
The beds and pillows were very comfortable.
The room service menu was good and was available 1200 - 2300hrs.
Nice pool and pool towels provided.
The beakfast was a Buffet choice and plenty of choice.
A 10 minute walk into Funchal town centre.
Would definielty stay at this hotel for Business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Sea View a good choice.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Pestana Casino Park Hotel? Share your experiences!